Chapter Twenty One- New years eve

Christmas week had been good. The kids had loved having the family unit together. Annie had been pleasant, kind, thoughtful and just an all round nice person to actually be around. I had found myself this last week enjoying our time together, and less so avoiding it. I no longer hurried past the kitchen when she was stood there. I stopped to talk, all awkwardness fading away as days passed and her behaviour remained calm.

I admit though, it was a hard week to be away from Leah when my mind wondered to her so frequently. The only time I could call was the evenings when the kids were in bed, but of course her evenings were busier, she was catching up with friends in town for the holidays and enjoying her family too.

Annie had gone out one evening to meet up with her new love interest, Tasha, and it only made me long for Leah more. I wasn't jealous of Annie and Tasha's relationship but I was jealous that she lived so close, and that she could now visit her over the holidays.

"So what are your plans New Year's Eve" Annie asked as I sat at the kitchen island watching her cook dinner.

"Teddy has a huge Club event down town... she's auctioning off dates with girls for charity" I inform, taking a sip of water.

Annie looks to me and nods slow "Anyone I would want to bid on" she asks jovially.

"No..." I return.

"Anyone you are bidding on" she asks.

I roll my eyes and turn away from her to the kids playing on a console behind us.

"So this...is your Leah" Annie says.

I turn around instantly, finding her with her phone in one hand whilst she prods the chicken breast she's cooking with the spatula in the other.

"What" I ask a little stunned.

She turns her phone around "Teddys club event" she says opening it up on the page and zooming in on Leah's picture. It was a rather good one of her in her basketball attire, ball in hand, and a beautiful smile on her lips.

Oh shit. I didn't want this to happen, and for her to figure it out so damn quickly.

"Yes" I say casually, trying not to sound alarmed.

"She's young. Morgan. She's a player surely... young.. hot... and an athlete" she remarks.

I ignore her. She's trying to get under my skin.

"I thought you would be looking for someone a little more appropriate" she adds.

I shake my head "says the woman with a twenty one year old in her bed" i rebuff. "And Leah isn't like that... we love each other" I say without thinking.

She places her phone down and laughs. "Okay" she says sarcastically. "So you are in love with a basketball player... sure let's see how long that lasts before someone else takes her fancy..." she says looking back into her phone. "This says she's one of sports most eligible lesbians... I really find it hard to believe she wants to settle down with a mom of three from Arizona"

"Annie just when I start to mellow and enjoy your company...you kick me so hard I remember why I stayed away so long... fuck... you" I lean over and whisper before walking down to my room. The kids were completely oblivious and shouting back and forth about their game.

I make it into my room and shut the door but seconds later she walks in "Morgan I'm sorry that came off worse than it sounded in my head... I didn't mean you are not worth it or that you aren't a damn good catch because you should know by now that you Morgan Keaton are the catch in my eyes. You always will be, no matter who we are both with" she says coming over and placing her hand on my shoulder. My back was to her as I looked out of the window at the world moving around outside in the city below, a million people living lives beneath us.