(172) Early Bedtime for Pappy - Demus

Summary: Remus is not known for obeying rules, especially now he's the father of three boys. Who could resist their begs?

"We don't talk about Bruno-no-no-no-no..." Remus sang under his breath as he stirred the pasta once more, giving the spaghetti a suck to judge if it was ready to serve. Only a few more minutes - he assumed. And his family could wait for a few more minutes.

Everything was peaceful until he felt a tug at his pyjama pants. He looked down and saw the adorable blue eyes and big glasses of his middle child Patton. God he was the cutest. "Hey buddy-bug! What's up?" Patton had a thumb in his mouth as he swayed, looking up at the counters where his father was cooking.

"Can I have a cookie?"

Of course those puppy eyes had a reason behind them. And a reason that usually wouldn't be an issue since Remus would do anything for his little boy. But he had to be on his husband's good side. "It's almost dinner kiddo, and Pappy said no sweets before dinner."

"Not even one?" Hurt was written on Patton's face - although that might be pretend hurt by this time. Who could resist this cute beg?

"Not even one kiddo. You want to help Dada with dinner though?" Patton nodded happily at that, coming closer to the counter to see all the spices he was about to eat. "How about you set the table with your brother?"

Patton's smile was infectious again as he heard that he could do an activity with his cool big brother. After all, Logan was a middle schooler now so he was ultra cool and adult. "Yeah! Logie!" The middle child ran off with forks and napkins, abandoning the knives for his brother to handle (Janus was a little paranoid with things).

After a couple of minutes Logan walked into the kitchen and didn't look at his father, only had one earphone in his ear as he got the knives. "Audiobook?" Remus mouthed and pointed to his ears, Logan nodded. It was surprising Remus could raise such a bookworm seeming he hadn't picked up a book since high school (apart from some toddler books for bedtime stories through the years). Then again, Remus married a huge nerd so it wouldn't be surprising Logan got that trait from him.

Talking about Remus' husband, he was now comforted by the warmth of Janus' hand snaking around his waist. "Smells nice honey." The father whispered, watching the pasta spin in the wok. "I missed you at work today." Janus worked in the city as a lawyer so had to be away from home a lot of the time, and he was such a family man. Remus gave his husband a peck of a kiss before starting to serve the dinner. "Logan! Patton! Take your seats! Is V up from his nap yet honey?"

"I'll check." Janus gave Remus another kiss before adventuring upstairs in search of the husbands' littlest baby. A toddler named Virgil. He was such a nervous baby compared to his older brothers but that just made him easier to coddle.

Patton ran up to his father once the more strict parent was out of view, waiting to help Remus with whatever he could. But Remus had another idea. He leant down and smiled mischievously, Patton knew that meant he should smile back. "So... Pappy said no cookies before dinner. But after - how about we have all the cookies in the jar and invite your brothers for a Disney marathon?"

The elementary schooler nodded but then tilted his head. "But Pappy said we can't have too many at once?"

"But Dada disagrees - for tonight." Once Patton's nose was booped Janus began walking down the stairs, sleepy Virgil in his arms cuddling against his shoulder. It was a cute sight for Remus, seeing his husband being a father. He called Logan and Patton to the dinner table while Remus served the food.

Virgil was placed in the purple and blue highchair beside the table and given a bowl of diced spaghetti strings with tomato sauce. There were interesting conversations between the family about the latest book Logan was reading/listening to. Patton happily chatted about his friends in elementary school, and Virgil was shouting "Patta? Patta!" with every grain of pasta he lifted.

"How was work then today sweetheart?" Remus mumbled when everyone was finishing their meals, holding his husband's hand under the table. Janus yawned slightly as he wiped Virgil's face.

"Tiring, but it's all in a day's work." Remus smiled as his cheek was kissed, his plan was coming together perfectly!

"How about you take an early night tonight? I'll manage bedtime, Patton likes my stories doesn't he!" Patton was happy to nod along, Logan was the one to look unsure at his fathers. He actually had a head on his shoulders.

But Janus had a soft smile watching the eyes of his husband. He was grateful for the bedroom routine since it was the only part of parenting he could do with a busy work schedule, but just this once he was happier for a longer sleep and more cuddles when the bedtime finally passed. "That sounds delightful, thank you honey."

Janus marched upstairs straight after dinner, and Remus kept his pointer finger on his mouth as he handled Virgil out the high chair. "Can we have cookies now?" Patton was vibrating and clapping, looking cute as always. Logan still looked unsure and retrieved a book.

"How many cookies does Pap allow?" Logan dared to ask as his father as he watched him grab two full jars of freshly-made cookies. Remus just shrugged which didn't impress the pre-teen. "Is Pap really gonna be happy you're giving us all a sugar high before bed?"

"No. But that's my issue not yours." The father was preparing blankets for the movie night and had placed Virgil on the sofa with his brothers and a teething toy. "Want one?" Remus walked into the living room with a Crofters jar - and just like that Logan was won over.

The family sat together to watch Lady and the Tramp, Patton and Logan sharing a cookie jar and Remus sharing the other with Virgil (who had to have the cookie crushed). This was what he loved about fatherhood, seeing the smiling faces of his little replicas. Even though he should obey the rules for their health he could never resist their grins.

"Trash Ca... Babe?" Janus scowled as soon as he saw the state of his family, and he rolled his eyes. He saw the guilty look on his husband's face and that made him feel warm inside again. "Give me one." He motioned to Logan, and he was poured a few cookies. Remus soon had his husband cuddled against him and eating cookies too. "The bedroom's too cold without you."