(137) The Toymaker - Demus (mainly Remus being a Dad)

Summary: Remus creates toys as a part of his job, and sometimes he gets a little nerdy assistant to help out with market research.

This could be seen as a part 2 of 'Baby Glasses' but it's still adorable!

Words: 1148

If you had asked Remus five years ago where he would be in this current time - he'd probably guess he'd still be getting drunk every night and barely scraping enough time to actually work on his job. Remus worked as a toy manufacturer, and unfortunately the company he was employed by disliked the idea of owning a factory so instead supplied all the equipment needed to get the work done at home. This meant Remus found it difficult at first to organise himself quick enough for all the deadlines, but luckily he met and quickly married a quiet hardworker who kicked him into shape. That man was called Janus - and he really was a blessing.

It only took six months for Janus to move into Remus' place, and as soon as he did he revealed his secret desire to be a foster carer. Without a doubt Remus supported Janus' journey and their first placement was with an absolute angel of a baby named Logan. He was so adorable that Janus and Remus adopted the baby as soon as they found out reunification with his birth family wasn't possible. It had been two years since that moment and Remus had yet to regret any part of being a father.

"Ah! Dad!" Logan shouted as he stumbled gently down the stairs to his father's work basement. When the toddler came into view he gazed up at Remus with wide, amazed eyes covered by big, black glasses. And Remus adored having someone look up to him and be inspired by him - it made him into a better person. The happy eyes lead to the toddler lifting his hands up so he could be closer to the work Remus was trying to complete. "Up-up?"

"Of course bud." Who could say no to such an adorable toddler? Remus definitely didn't have the power to. Ever since he first saw Logan at eight months old he knew this little boy would have complete control over his life. Logan was placed on the workbench and sucked his thumb with the same cute look. "What's the special word?"

"Dang'k oo." The child cooed, looking around for something to play with. He loved being the first one to play with toys before they reached the shops. The toy Remus was working on at the moment was a wooden toy set - this particular set were trains. He had created the front of the train with the wheels and was now focusing on the carriages. Woodwork was Remus' speciality so making small toys like this was easy.

Until he heard a quick scream. He immediately looked up to see Logan with tears in his eyes, staring at the front train with a rejected look. And he immediately remembered he forgot to sand that particular piece. "Oh did you get spiked by the train kiddo?" Remus chirped, trying to comfort his baby even though he was getting more and more upset. "Let me kiss it better - where does it hurt?"

"Da train is evil..." Logan mumbled back, holding out one of his little hands and placing the other in his mouth. Of course Remus had to agree and kissed each small finger, examining the skin for splinters, before getting his tweezers from a cupboard and cleaning it.

"Evil's a big word Logan! You're really smart!" Whenever Logan was complimented on his intelligence he got the biggest smile possible and his legs kicked out of joy. That reaction had stayed ever since he was eight months old and Remus will never get enough of it. "Did Dad teach you that word?" Janus loved reading with his toddler and it was Logan's favourite past-time too - and whenever Remus got to witness the two together he fell in love all over again. Who could not fall in love with two angels?

Logan squeaked a little as the first splinter was pulled out his finger. "It's OK buddy, look how brave you are now!" Logan continued mumbling with every tweezer pinch and it did hurt Remus to hear. He wanted his son to be far, far away from any and all upset the world could give him. But he knew that wasn't entirely possible.

Janus was even more protective of the toddler than Remus was and soon he appeared out of nowhere as if he had a magic power. "Everything alright you two?" He echoed like an angry teacher while also trying to strap a baby carrier to his chest. Their current foster placement was another baby, a six month old called Virgil, and Logan adored being a big brother.

"Evil train hurt me but I'm brave!" Logan cheered, holding down his tears just to show how brave he was. Janus gave his partner a confused but concerned look.

"I forgot to sand a toy." Remus spoke gently as he took out the last splinter, kissing Logan's forehead again with a wide smile. "There you go buddy! All better?" Logan nodded happily and quickly went to a plastic train model that Remus used to reference, brushing it across the workbench and making 'choo-choo' noises. Janus watched the toddler with a proud smile as Remus tied the last strap of the baby carrier. "Are you planning something with Verge?"

"He's being a little restless again." Virgil was so young but had been through way too much, and on top of that he had colic so constantly cried. Remus and Janus tried to comfort him like every other baby but sometimes the only thing that got him calm again was a quiet walk to the park.

And Logan fully approved of park visits almost everyday - he was an outdoor enthusiast that liked to collect flowers and pretty rocks. Remus was the one to follow him and make sure he didn't get hurt since dealing with two kids under three was chaos so Janus couldn't handle it. That meant Remus had to take a break from work.

And Remus loved taking breaks from work, even if said work was easy to complete. "Do you want to go to the park Lo?"

The toddler looked overjoyed and pretty much jumped into Remus' arms, ready to be carried and spoiled all the way to the park next door. Janus also disappeared to retrieve Virgil, and soon to lovers reunited again each holding the apple of their eyes. "Hey Virgil, not having fun yet?" Remus laughed, squishing the baby's cheek that was stuffed next to Janus' chest. Virgil just cried more.

"You will soon Ve-gill!" Logan shouted and laughed, doing the same squish like Remus did and looking proudly at his dads. 

Yeah, Remus loved this timeline. He wouldn't feel fulfilled if he stayed a partying bachelor all these years - he felt fulfilled with his little nerdy son and helping any other child that needed to be helped along the way.