(145) Got Your Nose - Prinxiety

Summary: Virgil and Roman grow up together and are there for each other through thick and thin. And maybe in a more than platonic way too.

Can you tell I adore the childhood friends to lovers trope yet?

Words: 1798

Virgil was probably the worst person to be a new kid you could get. Even at seven years old he was nervous around everyone and would rather be a ball of non-existence than talk to another human being. That's why on his first day at his new elementary school he was staying beside the playground gates ready to sprint back into the classroom and get this day, and the rest of his schooling, over with as quickly as possible.

Everyone else seemed to already have friends and were playing with each other, chasing each other and playing hop scotch, just being innocent kids. Virgil just stayed by the wall and prayed there weren't going to be any balls flying in his direction. Until he was disturbed by a flash of red.

"Hi hi - I'm Roman! You want to play What's The Time Mr Wolf with me and my friends?" Roman chirped, his ginger waves bouncing with him as he nodded to himself. Virgil didn't say a word but shook his head, he wasn't ready for new friends yet - or ever. "But you're new! Don't you want friends?" Virgil shook his head again. "Never?"

"Never ever." Virgil said back confidently. After all, he was probably going to move again in a few years (or at least his seven year old logic said so). Friends seemed useless.

Roman didn't seem to take that as an answer however, tilting his head before pinching Virgil's nose and unleashing a mischievous giggle. "Even if I've got your nose?" The question was so silly and out of the blue that Virgil couldn't help but laugh a little as Roman held his thumb in between two of his fingers between their two faces, a look of hope in his eyes that he had finally broken through his new friend's barrier. Maybe playing with other kids just this once wouldn't be so bad. "You wanna play with me?"

"I wanna play with you." And with that the new pair ran off in search of Roman's friends. And they stayed together since then.

*****

Annoying.Prince.Child: Can you really not see me? I'm right outside the parking lot.

Virgil was staring at his new purple Android phone with determination as he looked around the sidewalk he was stood on. It was a nervous day, as every day was, since the pair was going to start eighth grade together. Just one more year and Virgil will be entering the stress of actually having to work in high school - he was not looking forward to the idea.

"Emo! Look up from your phone won't you?" A shout erupted from the other side of the road, and Virgil's head raised to see a blur of red running towards him just like years previous.

"Hey Princey, of course..." Virgil was strangled in a hug before he could finish his sentence, a squeak escaping as his ribs were crunched, and he was even picked up and swung a little. "Are you going to let me down or?"

Roman was laughing in a low chuckle, his voice had dropped over summer and he'd gotten another growth spirt too. Virgil was still quite small and child-looking unfortunately. But the two friends walked together - or rather Roman carried Virgil a few steps forward. "Nope. You're coming with me."

The friends were laughing at each other, Virgil's arms around Roman's shoulders as he stared behind Roman's head at the other students coming into the school. He could recognise the people in his grade straight away - but everything just seemed different. Boys had their arms around girls, girls were blushing and giggling over the athletic guys, romance seemed to be in the air. And Virgil was confused whether he should be feeling that way around female classmates.