(141) You're Adopting Who? - Creativitwins

Summary: Remus and Roman are colleagues and best friends, Roman being a literature teacher and Remus a PE coach. But one day Roman comes to his friend with some pretty exciting news... He's adopting one of their shared students.

Idk if science fairs happen in high schools because we don't have them in the UK but I feel like life went from every TV show having a science fair plot point to 'what are science fairs' and I never heard about them again.

Words: 1081

"Hey Dukey!" Roman shouted as he walked into the gymnasium, pleased to see there were no other students to bother the two teachers. The English teacher walked forward with his hands in his bright red trousers as he watched his coworker dunk round orange balls into a basket. The other man ignored his friend for a few throws before turning and smiling softly at his friend.

"What's up Princey?" Remus grumbled and bounced a basketball to entertain himself, wiping his forehead with a tea towel and chugging a bottle of water as if it were alcohol on a Saturday night. "You just wanna chill and do nothin' for a bit?"

Roman sat on the bleachers with a shrug, but inside he was literally shaking. There was some good news on the horizon that Remus, even as the English teacher's best friend, was completely oblivious on. The fitness teacher focused on his basketball practice as if he was a student trying for a college championship instead of just a role model for future sport stars.

"So... how's things?" Roman had to stay normal for this conversation, after all nothing was set in stone and this big step was just a possibility and not a definite.

Remus lifted an eyebrow and just bounced his ball instead of throwing it. The two men could read each other's minds after being coworkers so long. "Yeah you're not fooling me with that. What's up?" Roman tried to gleam his innocent smile but he probably just looked psychotic. "Did that science teacher finally ask you out? What's his name... Mr Nerdy Wolverine?"

"His name is Logan Wolff Remus, and no, I'm still a complete awkward mess around him." For a moment Roman had to hide his cheeks between his legs to himself calm down over his teacher crush who was surprisingly also queer. He was a nerd and a little egotistical but he was super attractive.

"The name's close enough..."

"And did you hear that he's managing the science fair this year? I mean of course he is, he's one of the science teachers, but he's actually planning the displays and everything!" Revealing the big news seemed like less of a priority now Roman was talking and thinking of his crush. "He came to my room to ask me whether these two shades of brown clashed together and when I told him I was going to the science fair he had the sweetest smile and I just melted!"

The bouncing ball stopped at that last babble and Remus looked even more confused. The science fair was only open to science teachers, the high school students, and their families. Sometimes math and PE teachers were invited but English teachers were definitely barred from the event unless they were related to a student. "Can you repeat that last part Ro?"

"I'm going to the science fair?" Roman looked confused for a second but then raised his eyebrows as he realised that lead to his big secret. "You know that new kid, sophomore, Virgil Poni?"

"Yeah, he's a good kid. Not good with a ball, or running, or any kind of physical activity... So by theory I shouldn't like him - but he's a sweet kid." Remus came to sit next to his teacher friend on the bleachers, throwing the basketball to the other side of the gym. "Shame he's being looked after, I think once he finds himself he'll be an amazing young man."

Roman had to giggle as Remus reminded himself that Virgil was in care. "Well, about that..." That excitement Roman walked into the gym with was coming back again - he was so excited to tell the coworker that felt more like a twin brother that he might actually be a Dad! Or whatever Virgil wanted to call him that is. There was no push. 

"I'M ADOPTING VIRGIL!"

This time Remus' eyes widened and he wore a big goofy smile. "That kid? God, he fucking deserves it. But what gave you the balls to do that? You can't even talk to Logan for more than 2 minutes and you're going to be adopting a high schooler?"

Roman could visualise Virgil in his mind as soon as he thought of him. The teen came to the high school at the beginning of the year, also beginning a new placement that he seemingly hated. His only escape from all the stress became his English teacher's classroom as he had so many books the young boy could escape into instead of facing his life. As Virgil read he began to open up to all his peers and teachers. Roman also opened up and revealed his crush on Mr Wolff (that made Virgil cringe since he was also Logan's student). When court dates started coming up and it looked like reunification wasn't possible Roman was the first person Virgil told. And Virgil wanted to be part of Roman's one-person family.

"It just felt right. I may not have the most stable life but I love that he trusts me." He was going to try to have a good life when he has Virgil. Once Virgil settles into his new home Roman will work hard for that department promotion, and he might even ask Logan on a few dates since Logan absolutely adores the nervous sophomore as well. Not that he was just using Virgil for Logan's attention, he'd never do that. "I'm so excited to have a son."

The pair's conversation was interrupted by a knock on the gymnasium door, by none other than the fifteen year old in a baggy, purple hoodie and messy, curly, brown hair. Roman smiled more at the sight of him. "Hey Coach Duke - you wanted to play basketball with me right?"

Remus stood and magically retrieved another ball from under the chair he was sat on, immediately bouncing it up and down like a natural. "That's what only the best uncles do bud, right Mr Prince?" Roman laughed and nodded and Virgil playfully scowled. "Let's get that gym grade up bud."

While Remus filled his water bottle again Virgil smirked a little, his eyes directly on his future father figure meaning he must have done something mischievous. "I told Mr Wolff you like him by the way. You're such an unbearable simp."

Remus chuckled and threw a ball in Virgil's direction. "Thanks for that bud. He can really get annoying with his simping."

"Well thanks! I can't help that I'm a hopeless romantic!"