(72) Bullies are Bad, Kid - Moxiety

Summary: Virgil and Patton just want to take their kids to the beach for a fun day out. What they don't want is people ostracising them for being 'different' - the world isn't perfect yet though.

TW - Homophobia and censored f-word associated with it (I could not actually write it though as slurs are a different level of disgusting compared to swears), mention of religion. Just Karen behaviour.

There's also a requested chapter next - probably will be published tomorrow (part 2 of the Royality chapter before) - it's very long though so I thought I'd give y'all a normal sized one first.

Words: 1134

"Why aren't these... effing... buckles not working?" Virgil grumbled to himself as he tried to unbuckle his youngest daughter from the pushchair she was now stuck in. He turned to his partner Patton who was applying suncream to their other little girl. "Can you help me Patton-cake?"

"Sure thing Ky-love, can you take care of Gigi?" Patton chirped and walked over, cooing and chatting to the girl in the pushchair while Virgil walked forward to the kindergartener Gigi who was collecting her bucket and spade from the beach bag to make sandcastles. The white suncream was still in blotches on her olive skin but she didn't seem to care. As her father Virgil did though, so got her to sit as still as possible and helped her rub the cream in. 

Today was a good day. It was the first day of their beach holiday - and the summer before Gigi would start elementary school. The two parents had saved up their vacation days for this holiday and so far it was worth it. Just the thought of his little girl starting school made Virgil feel so old even though he was only thirty two. The small family had rented a house by the beach for the week so they could create some memories together.

"Are you excited for school next month Gi?" Virgil asked with his voice light and fluffy. He remembered days when he was convinced he'd never be a good father or even be able to be a dad at all - but here he was with two amazing toddlers on an amazing holiday with an amazing partner. Because of his past doubts he had to be soft and gentle around his kids - they were a miracle.

Gigi sucked her thumb and watched the waves hit the sand behind her. "I'm worried about the bullies." She chirped softly. Virgil could do nothing but sigh. There were a few kids in her kindergarten that liked pushing her and calling her 'midget' - her fathers had tried to bring this up but the taunting was just brought to 'kids being kids'.

Virgil walked with his daughter to the sea, watching her paddle in the shallow waves and build a sandcastle in the slightly wet sand. Patton soon joined with Bea at his hip dressed in her Barbie swimming costume and a pacifier in her mouth. Virgil could never get enough of Patton having a child close to him. "Do you want to toddle with your sister?" Patton chirped to Bea and placed her down close to her sister. She followed her older sister around shyly and pointed at pieces of sand for Gigi to shovel up.

Patton smiled softly and nuzzled into the creak of Virgil's neck, holding his hand. "I love you Storm Cloud..." He whispered. Virgil smiled back and kissed his forehead.

"I love you too." His voice was as quiet as it could be even though he'd happily scream his love for Patton from the rooftops. Their small demonstration of love seemed too loud for someone though - a middle aged blond woman that looked like she'd be the star of a Reddit post.

"Ew, no-one wants to see you f-" She said the slur word. The word that caused Gigi and Bea to stop what they were doing and look. They had luckily never heard that word before even though their fathers had. The men tried to ignore her, Virgil bringing his arm around Patton and watching the sea, but the woman marched over angrily and spoke directly to the girls beside their feet. "Are you OK sweetie? They aren't hurting you are they?"

"We weren't disturbing you, please don't disturb us." Virgil stayed a distance from the lady just in case. Usually if the homophobe had said a word to Patton she'd receive a quick punch from the purple wearing man - but as she was talking to his kids Virgil had to resist the urge to kick an almost-pensioner across the Atlantic Ocean. 

The lady scoffed shocked. "You're disturbing me! God didn't want us to get together like you do - let alone raise sweet and innocent babies under your care!" She was screaming now. It's a shame two men just loving each other could do that, at least the old woman's family looked mortified by her behaviour. "You can act like that behind closed doors. We don't want to see you both undress each other on the beach!"

So one man having his arm around another was a sexual act... That must be a new kink Virgil hadn't heard about. "I was just holding him like any other couple would do." Virgil said calmly while the woman was stomping and screaming like a tantruming toddler. The actual toddler, Bea, was even looking at her like she was being ridiculous. "Can you please let us enjoy our holiday?"

"I'll call the police! This behaviour must be public indecency!"

Before the woman could actually act on her outlandish behaviour a person who the couple assumed was their daughter came over and dragged her away, apologising profusely.

It was then silence. Patton still stayed close to Virgil and tried to distract his kids from what happened - but Virgil could tell behind his eyes he was petrified. "Why didn't that lady like you?" Gigi chirped, still watching the lady as she glared at the family from the other side of the beach (ignoring her own grandchildren to show how good a parent she was). Patton sighed and knelt down, squishing his daughter's cheek with a soft smile.

"She doesn't like that I love your father instead of a woman. She's very mean." Patton had the blessing of explaining bad things without swearing and cursing people out unlike Virgil. The temptation to punch the lady was getting ridiculously stronger if his youngest daughter wasn't doing adorable grabby hands for a cuddle.

He watched Bea suck on her pacifier and look around the beach at everyone running around and chatting. "We're not bad parents are we Bumble-Bea?" Virgil whispered, watching Patton play with Gigi in the sand and encouraging her to go into the water. Bea mumbled so cutely her father just had to hug her. "We're good parents..."

Bea pointed at Patton giggling gleefully in the water. Seeing Patton happy made Virgil's heart beat even faster and it reminded him every day how in love he was. His partner was absolutely perfect in every way and he was so glad he had a family with him - whatever other people say.

"Come give me a kiss." Virgil whispered, walking forward before he could realise and holding Patton around his other free hand. The two men stood in the water and kissed chastely. They would never stop loving each other despite what others say.