(113) Movie Night - Anxceit

Summary: Janus and Virgil have had their daughter - Cassie - at home for about a month and it's almost Christmas. The family decide to have a movie night.

Words: 1127

"Shouldn't we watch a Christmas film?" Janus sat on the sofa with the remote between his hands looking at the streaming selection on the TV. Next to him, sitting at the arm on the other side of the sofa, was his husband of three years Virgil. Virgil was obsessed with a certain film.

"Nightmare before Christmas is a Christmas film! It's literally in the name!" Virgil shouted back, their toddler on his lap staring up at him with the remnants of an advent calendar chocolate on her lips.

"In October you said it was a Halloween film - I'm not buying it can be both." Janus laughed at Virgil's pout, then smiled at his daughter. Cassie was probably the best Christmas present Janus ever got - he always wanted to be a father and now he had the cutest little princess to take care of. The little princess complimented his perfect husband too. "What do you want to watch tonight sweetie?"

"G'inch!" The two year old shouted, still sucking on yet another piece of chocolate her fathers gave her. It was almost dinner time so she shouldn't be having this much sugar but this was only her second month living with Virgil and Janus, and her first Christmas, so they had every right to spoil her.

Janus turned on the Grinch film and cuddled up to his husband and daughter, an arm around Virgil's shoulders and his other hand stroking through Cassie's coily black hair. Cassie was interested in the movie but the fathers were not - their new little life was a whole lot more interesting. She was just too cute.

"I think we should order takeaway..." Virgil whispered, kissing Janus' cheek for a second and smiling softly. "Can you talk to them though babe?"

"Of course Raccoon." Janus whispered back, daring a kiss of Virgil's lips while their toddler wasn't there to see and comment. He understood his husband's fear of new, strange people (and his love to spend every moment with Cassie) so Janus was used to answering calls and talking to people who knocked on the door. Doing simple things like that made Janus feel like he was the protector of his little family - God, he loved the fact he had a family now.

Cassie was watching her fathers now with her bright brown eyes expanded and a thumb in her mouth with a teddy on her lap. "What do you want for dinner princess?" The little girl looked more excited at that.

"Pi'sa!" She shouted, cuddling closer into Virgil who giggled and kissed her forehead. Janus smiled proudly and kissed her cheek too before grabbing his black and yellow phone and calling the local pizza place.

Janus knew he'd have Hawaiian pizza (he loved pineapple on pizza and would die on that hill), Virgil would just ask for extra cheese because he hated making decisions... What about Cassie? "Um... Do you have a kids menu?" Janus asked after he put his and Virgil's orders in. He still couldn't believe he was asking for a kids menu for a child rather than an overly anxious husband that didn't want to decide to wake up that day. The restaurant worker outlined the kids menu - basic things like chicken nuggets, mini pizzas, turkey dinosaurs...

"Wait Jan!" Virgil shouted as he heard the last menu item mentioned. "Can I have turkey dinosaurs too? Pretty, pretty please?" The thirty-something year old was begging like an elementary schooler, even the toddler looking at him confused. How could Janus say no to that pretty face though?

"Alright... Our order will be one Hawaiian, one Extra Cheese, a mini pizza and two sets of turkey dinosaurs?" The only reason Cassie got a pizza too was because she'd be begging to try some of her fathers' as soon as she saw them - if she wasn't hungry enough for both meals they could be stored for lunch the next day. Huh, only a month and Janus was being as organised as his book loving best friend. He should stop before he needs to create vocab cards.

The pizza arrived halfway through the movie, when Cassie was glued to the TV and slowly losing the energy she had before. Luckily she was already in pyjamas and had a nice playful bath with Janus so she was fully prepared to be set in bed as soon as her eyes closed. But once she smelt food she perked up and, as expected, demanded a slice of each pizza. Virgil had no right to refuse and cut up a piece of his pizza (with a knife and fork) to give her a taste and Janus did the same with a part of his. Cassie was called a spoilt brat by a Karen at the play-park last week but she deserved to be spoilt when she was just so perfect.

Towards the end of the movie Cassie was back on Virgil's lap again, leaning against him and trying to keep her eyes open while demanding she wasn't tired. "I can stay up until 8pm! I'm a big girl!" She shouted, wiping her eyes and mumbling. Janus picked her up and she didn't even have the energy to wriggle out. Instead she just leant into Janus' warmth and silenced.

"You've stayed up long enough little angel - if you stay up too late Santa will be scared to come to our house at Christmas!" Virgil also approached the little girl and his husband, kissing his husband softly and rubbing Cassie's back. She was dressed in a Snow White onesie that Uncle Roman gave as a gotcha day present, and her hair was tied into two buns with Elsa toggles given by Uncle Patton. She just looked so cute as she was and Virgil wanted to keep the picture of his daughter in his mind forever. He was so excited to be starting fatherhood - especially with his lover Janus. When Cassie finally seemed asleep Virgil and Janus smiled at each other softly. "Night night cutie..."

Janus kissed Cassie's cheek and kissed Virgil, letting his lips linger a little longer than normal. "I love you so much." The usually serious lawyer said in a whisper, feeling as happy as he did on his wedding day. This Christmas was going to be the best one yet.

"I love you too..." Virgil whispered back and just like that Janus slithered upstairs with their baby to finish the bedtime routine. As soon as he returned again the husbands cuddled, discussed the future, and watched a more mature Christmas movie. They still needed to buy a dozen more presents they found online to give their daughter for Christmas (even though their friends had already bought an entire toy store each).