Thirty-five

"Ann," smiles Rouge gently, embracing both of you. "It's so good to see you. I was worried you wouldn't make it in time."

You start shaking, and she caresses your hair before letting you go. She leaves a kiss on the boy's forehead.

"Thank you for bringing her back, Promise," she whispers. She rubs her eyes to hold back her emotions and laughs silently. "You were such a beautiful child, Ann."

You blush when you realize your form hasn't changed back, but she just shakes her head.

"It's okay," says Rouge. "You will always be my little girl, after all."

"I'm sorry for what happened at the war," murmurs Promise, still holding your hand. "I appeared as an adult because it was important to follow me. You had to see my grave and know about Kid's choice."

"Are you truly dead?" you ask, trying to stop the quivering of your voice. A faint wrinkle appears on Rouge's face.

"I died a few days after you gave me to Kaido's men," he answers calmly. "They tried to treat me because of your deal with King, but it was too late for my illness."

You start crying silently, your fist closing around your shirt's sleeve.

"I'm sorry I wasn't faster," you sob. "If I had been... If only I arrive sooner, or I notice-"

The child scowls and smiles at you.

"It's not your fault. That is how it had to happen," he says. "I'm happy with the life I lived. Part of myself was here by that time anyway."

"It's because I let go of your hand," you whisper. "When I took you here once, I let you go alone to see a dream, and you got lost."

"It was calling for me, Three," he shakes his head. "I had to see it. I chose to stay here because that's what my role was in your life. I saw the scene about Kid finding the number in the necklace, and I had to make sure it will happen. He needed that hope to keep fighting for you. And I had another dream to make real, the one from the war."

"But I didn't watch it when you asked me," you answer silently.

"You never had to," he smiles. "Everything happened as I saw it, as I wanted it. It was enough to know that one sentence, and you remembered when the time came. You understood it and let go of the cliff a split second before the attack reached you. That's how you survived."

"Time brings everything together," says Rouge, stroking Promise's curly hair.

"I swore Lady Toki that I will protect you," continues the little boy. "It was the least I could do after making you forget your name. I gave up my own too, but it still felt terrible. It's not easy to live without one. After I died, my memories found me about the things that happened since I stayed here. I was so glad to hear the name you gave to me."

You turn your gaze to the sea to help the pressure growing in your chest.

And your eyes widen when you see an enormous ship anchoring a few miles away from the shore.

It has bright red sails and a detailed, beautiful wooden structure.

"My dream is complete now," smiles Rouge at you. "Ace spent a long time here after you helped him get out of the darkness. He heard my voice and found this place since your power drew him here."

Tears run into her eyes, and she tries to wipe them off.

"You have to take care of each other, Ann," she says. "I have to go now. Everyone is waiting for me. Your father too."

You look at her and recoil.

"You can't go! I have so much to tell you, so much to listen to."

"Promise told me about your life," she whispers with a silent, sweet smile. "I'm proud of everything you have become."