Thirty-four

Kid sleeps calmly over your lap, his lips slightly open.

His arm is warming your skin as it goes behind your back, embracing your waist.

You run your fingers through his bright hair and take off the goggles to free the silky locks. The man scrunches his nose when a wandering one tickles his nose.

He's so peaceful when he sleeps.

You carefully place your palms under his face and lift his head slowly, turning a little to your side.

Kid snorts in his sleep as you lay above his chest, curling up around him before letting his head rest on your leg again.

He keeps whispering the names like every night.

Killer, Heat, Wire.

Three.

He never told you with words that he cares about you, but this means more than anything else would.

You close your eyes for a moment, inhaling his scent from the fragrant skin.

You never thought you would find someone so important, at a place like that. King barely treated you like a human being.

He kept you around but never had a kind word an act towards you.

Yamato was your only friend through the years in Onigashima, and you lost Promise as a child.

But this bond is different.

Kid is different than anyone you have met before. There's a connection that feels out of this world and roots in another one to make the pieces join.

Your hold grows stronger around his body, and you look at his face again.

As much fear you felt when you first saw it, now it gives you more calmness than anything else in this world.

It makes you feel free, which could never happen before since your childhood. And Kid is the only one you would give up this freedom for.

The one who gifted it.

Even in shackles or behind that metal grating, he showed the way out from the prison of your past.

And you shudder when the amber eyes open and find yours.

"What the fuck are you doing, Three?"

You blink at him confusedly, then something snaps in your mind, and you jump a little.

The man exclaims briefly as he rolls down from your side, almost ending up in the tiny lake.

"I'm guarding!" you shout.

Kid makes a sound somewhere between an upset roar and a high-pitched whine. He sits up and hits your head, even if he doesn't use force.

"Then you shouldn't be yelling around, waking people trying to sleep," he hisses upsetly, rubbing his eyes. You watch him silently as the moonlight caresses his figure like a fabric woven with silver yarn. "What are you looking at, woman?!"

"You are beautiful."

Kid's cheeks turn bright red.

"That's not a way to tell it, Three!" he shouts at you, then freezes when you lean forward and slap him without using any strength.

"You shouldn't be yelling around," you repeat what he said to you, and the man's jaw drops in outrage.

You bite your lip and look away. Kid snorts and sits back next to you, avoiding your gaze.