Thirty-eight

Next morning

Kid squirms by your side, and you look back at him, smiling when you see him awake.

The man rubs his eyes and blinks, then sits up and pulls you closer, your back laying against his wide chest.

You almost disappear in his arms and giggle softly when he hides his face by the curve of your neck sleepily.

"Good morning," you whisper, stroking his bright hair. Kid grumbles back something, and you decide to take it as a 'you too'.

He kisses your skin tenderly, then lifts his head to place his chin on your shoulder.

You lift the paper in your hand, and the man grimaces slightly when he sees the drawing.

"What is this, Kid?"

"Heat drew it when you were away," he sighs. "So the others knew who to look for in the Raid."

"And you kept it."

"I forgot to throw it away, okay?" he snaps with flustered cheeks. You laugh and turn your head to leave a kiss on his painted lips.

When you try to leave, his flesh hand runs over your bare stomach, up to your side to keep you there.

His metal arm reaches for yours, and you tilt your head as they clank.

"Trafalgar did it well," he murmurs, moving the prosthetic fingers carefully. You watch the beautiful design for a few moments, turning it upside down.

His metal thumb runs over the palm, and you scowl. You may be able to move it, but you will never feel human touch with it again.

Kid's hand arrives on your left thigh, laying upon the dark scar running across it.

King made it the day when you told him you would leave Onigashima.

"Are you sure you want to meet that man again, Three?" asks the redhead.

You nod silently and rest the back of your head against his pectoral muscle. Now that he straightened his back a little, you don't even reach his jaw.

His fingers continue their way and find the other deeper scar on your side. You got it in the forest after leaving Udon.

It was the only wound that threatened death.

"This wasn't him," you say.

"It was one of his men," answers Kid angrily. "It's his responsibility."

"He killed the one who-"

"I don't care, Three!" he shouts at you, then lowers his voice when you shiver. "Whenever I look at you, I see the scars he left behind."

You tense up and look away.

"They bother you?"

His eyes widen, and he shakes his head.

"Nobody should be ashamed of scars," he says, and strokes your arm to relax your muscles. "Especially not you. I just don't understand why you want to meet King if he tortured you more than half your life."

You don't answer him, and the man takes a deep breath, leaning back to let you go. You turn around and kiss him gently as an apology.

Kid watches you and pulls up one of his legs, resting his forearm on it. You smile when you recognize the same pose as he often sat at the prison.

"And what about the one on your back?" he asks. "The one that looks like a crescent. You haven't told me about it."

You reach for it and touch the scar carefully.