Twenty-one

SECOND STAGE: Onigashima

[A/N]: Most of the Stage takes place in Onigashima, but the story doesn't contain spoilers or major plot twists of the canon One Piece

.

.

.

"Do you know what love means?" he asks silently. You look at the child and scowl, shaking your head.

"You haven't taught me this word before," you grimace.

The boy sighs, looking back at the sky. He avoids your gaze, and a strange sadness gleams in the bright green eyes.

"How do you feel when we are together?" he continues.

You bethink for a second, and your free hand goes over your chest. The little fingers carve new, subtle wrinkles on the dirty fabric.

"I feel warmth here. It's good," you smile softly.

The child stays serious, and his hold grows stronger around your other hand.

"Love is an emotion that warms the human hearts, keeps them beating," he explains. "But there are people who are hurt so much, that walls of ice stand in the way of this warmth. Even if that happens, I believe everyone has love in them."

"Those who hurt others can't have," you shout. "If you feel this, there's no way-"

"There's a lot of things we will never understand about people," he answers. "But we must try to see their love even if it's hidden and drowning. You have to search for it, no matter what it takes. Because it's always there."

You look at him a bit confusedly and stay silent.

"If you can't find the warmth in someone's heart, you have to melt the walls with yours to free it," whispers the little boy.

You nestle closer to his side and lay your temple against his shoulder to comfort him, even if you don't understand.

Your press grows stronger above your chest. If there are people who can't feel this, you want to help them.

The cost of care blooming is to share it with others, against the coldness of the world.

"I will!"

And he turns to you with the kindest smile you have ever known in your life.

.

.

.

The same smile that flashes before your eyes as the blade gleams in the hazy moonlight. The metal reaches your flesh, and the last image appears.

Kid leaning down and kissing you roughly, with his hand running over your arm.

You fall into the shadows for a moment. You almost ran away to the world of your Devil Fruit, with the hope that you will keep living there.

But you decided not to. Either in life or death, you don't want to live in dreams anymore.

And when the shackle clings against the ground, your eyes open. You hear your blood flowing fastly, and nausea compresses your throat.

The pain arrives a second later, and you start screaming. The crimson pool grows under you, from your severed hand and the remaining part of your forearm.

Your tears pollute the red color. Your thoughts stop before they would take form.

"Get yourself under control," snaps King's voice opposite you.