Thirty-seven

"What are you saying?" scowls Kid. Silence falls over the room and you lower your voice.

"I want to meet King," you whisper. The man tenses up and his hold tightens around your body.

He looks at his crew, and Killer shakes his head a little. You don't know how much they told the others about your connection to the Beast Pirates.

"Come with me," says the redhead with a stiff voice. "We'll talk about it."

"Captain!" stands up Heat.

"It's fine," answers Kid, forcing the grin back on his face. He takes your hand again, and pulls you out of the room towards his cabin.

You look back at Killer for a second, but he is only watching his partner with an unsearchable, distant light in his blue eyes.

.

.

.

"I don't want you around him, Three," growls the man as soon as the door closes behind the two of you.

Your fist clenches, but you keep your voice calm.

"I wasn't asking for permission," you answer. "I just wanted you to know since that place... it's where everything started. If you want to come with me it's fine, but I have to talk to him alone."

"He doesn't deserve a talk, Three," hisses Kid. "That bastard almost killed you!"

"He saved my life not only once," you say. "And it wasn't his attack that threw me out from Onigashima. It was mine. King did terrible things, but he never wanted to kill me."

The man takes a step back.

"And why exactly do you want to meet him?"

You take a deep breath but stand his bright gaze.

"He was with me longer than anyone else in my life," you whisper. "He also knew who I was and never told everyone."

When Kid's tense muscles still don't relax, you step to him and take his hand gently.

"King is the only reason I wasn't executed in the prison," you continue. "I must close my past properly if I want to move on."

He looks into your eyes, then leans down and kisses you softly.

"I promised you freedom, Three," he says, but you still see the doubt on his face. "And I'll always stand by that. But I won't let you go to that place alone."

You smile gratefully.

"It's fine," you whisper. "Thank you."

The two of you stand in silence for some time, neither of you finding the words to continue.

Kid takes the goggles from your head, and his features soften as your hair falls to your shoulders.

His large hand runs through the locks and moves them away, amazedly watching your face.

"What happened to your nails?" you ask with a lifted brow.

"Don't ask, woman!" he snaps angrily. Kid takes a deep breath and sits down on his bed, maybe to recover from the traumatic memories. "It was good to see you with the others, Three."

You blush slightly and cast down your eyes.

"Do you want to go back to them?"

"I wanted to be alone with you for some time," he answers, scratching his nape.

You walk closer and sit over his lap, hugging his torso tightly. Kid grins and pulls you up, kissing into your neck. You shiver from his touch and smile.