Twenty-seven

"You're from Kid's crew, right?" you ask silently, pushing back all your emotions.

You are confused and have no idea what's happened, but you don't let yourself think about it.

I can't stop now. We are in a war.

"I am. I came to bring you back to him," he answers. "Killer-san saw you in the hall, but you disappeared."

You run your hand over the soil of the grave, but you are unable to cry. Nobody ever visited it.

In a way, you always knew he's gone.

King never let you see him, and they didn't use him to make you talk about Laugh Tale.

And whoever was the man who led you here, it couldn't have been Promise. He would never say such things or try to force you to do anything.

It must have been a nightmare. Only a nightmare.

You caress the rough stone over his name and take a deep breath. Heat waits quietly as he feels how important it is for you.

Once we win this battle, I will return. I want him to have flowers.

And I will go back to the land of dreams to find his real self again.

Until that, I will live the life I chose. I won't let those words get into my mind.

You taught me how to be free, didn't you? How to live without fear.

Kid.

You lean back and tremble, but then turn to the bluenette and try to smile at him. He smiles back as much as he can.

"Can you take me to him, Heat?"

"I would be glad to do so," he answers sweetly.

And you see a bright, clear light appearing in his silver eyes. It reminds you of Promise when you were only children.

And his greyish skin turns red when you put away your katana and take his hand without giving it a second thought.

"Let's go!" you say, pulling him back to his feet.

.

.

.

Heat leads the way back, and he doesn't let you go yet since no enemies are on the sight. Everyone rushed to the keep after the Worst Generation's rampage.

The bluenette stops from time to time and looks around before choosing the next turn. He's not talkative, and you stay silent until you figure out his method.

"You're always going the loudest way, right?" you ask.

"It usually works," he answers. "They should be around there. Our Captain is very strong, and he waited a lot for this day."

"To take down Kaido," you whisper. Heat nods, but then he suddenly stops and shakes his head.

"And to get you back," he states. "He always planned to avenge what happened, but this is different now. You are part of the Kid Pirates, and we never leave anyone behind."

Your heart misses a beat, and you smile, casting down your eyes. Heat listens as the noises get louder, and he takes a left turn, then stops by a wall.

Once you leave the shadows, you will join the ongoing fight in the next room.

"Killer told us everything, Three," he continues, keeping his voice low. "You let him take you back to the prison because they threatened Master Kid's and my life. I will never forget what you did."