~ Twenty ~

Kid watches silently as Killer takes her over his shoulder.

Three laughs sweetly and runs one of her hands into the soft, blond hair, with the other reaching for the water.

The redhead is sitting on the shore, at a safe distance from the strongest, bravest waves.

Killer holds her thighs to make sure she won't fall, and the woman asks him to go further in the sea like she wants to touch the horizon.

Heat comes from the ship and takes place next to his Captain, crossing his legs. Kid drinks down half of his sake and throws the bottle to him.

The bluenette catches it, looking at the two at the ocean. Kid lours as he turns to him.

"What happened to your hair?" he asks. Heat blushes so hard that his grey skin turns bright red, and he touches the silky locks.

"I asked Three to braid it, Master Kid," answers the man. "I look scarier this way, don't I?"

The redhead lifts one of his non-existent eyebrows, thinking that he rather looks like an emo child's favorite doll, but then he closes his eyes for a second and smiles softly.

"Yeah. You look terrifying."

Kid's heart feels warmer as Heat smiles in that almost invisible way of his, before looking back at the woman and Killer.

"You came to listen?" asks the bluenette. Kid tilts his head, and his long fingers run through the sand.

"Yes," he answers. "I still can't believe it."

Three smiles and lets go of Killer's hair, lifting her arms towards the sky, laughing with her whole heart.

And when the blonde laughs with her, it's real. Kid leans forward and shivers. Heat notices it and pouts, then touches his Captain's shoulder carefully for a second.

"You shouldn't be sad, Master Kid," he says slightly confusedly. The redhead grits his teeth and shakes his head. The gleaming of the amber eyes disappear.

"I'm not," answers the man, smiling. "I just never thought it's possible after everything that happened to him."

Heat nods and reels his braided hair around his index finger before letting it fall again.

"She's the only one who can make Killer-san laugh honestly."

And Kid agrees silently as he hears what he didn't know how to express.

He watches her face as she chuckles, telling something to the blonde, excitedly pointing at the waves as if she has never seen such an amazing thing before.

Killer carefully crouches down while holding her, then picks up a shell and gives it to her. Three's features brighten as she accepts it.

"She has a beautiful smile," says Heat softly, and the redhead trembles for a moment. His friend panics as he sees it and corrects it. "But not as beautiful as yours, Master Kid!"

The huge man freezes down but then laughs and shakes his head. Heat scowls, and his cheeks turn flustered again. Kid smirks, watching her face.

"It's not that, but thanks," he answers, then gets lost in his thoughts. "People always chase dreams, Heat. She chased reality her whole life, and she finally found it here. That's why her smile is different."

"She found happiness in the present," smiles his friend sweetly, drinking down the rest of the booze. "Killer-san! Your pasta will be overcooked."