Nineteen

You tighten your grip around his hand when you see King standing by the pond.

Kid keeps his eyes on the other man, the amber gleam grows stronger in the dim light of the moon.

"Don't lower your head," he whispers.

You try to calm your breath and nod to him, keeping your back straight as the two of you arrive. The chain on your right hand rattles on the ground.

When you look at Kid, you wonder how he can stay this calm and confident, even at the edge of torture.

"As the Vice-Captain of the Beast Pirates, I was sent here to get answers or to declare judgment," says King.

You watch the fire dancing over his back. You always do when he wears this mask since you hate looking at it, at how he hides his face.

Based on everything Kid told you, Killer was different. He wore a mask to hide something he hated.

When he lost himself, he lost the mask because he didn't have anything left to hide and protect. It split him, but he can heal.

King wears a mask to hide who he is, and you feel like he represents two of himself. One who waits for the change of the world, who has hair like starlight.

The man to whom your child self went to and talked to, to tell him how beautiful you thought it was.

And the one with the mask, who exists to cause pain and suffering, with or without the orders of Kaido.

The picture of his nightmare comes to your mind, about him bleeding, surrounded by the corpses of his kind.

Being someone who needs to hide his face even with such power. He isn't split.

"Tie them up," says King calmly, his red eyes finding your figure. "One goes underwater at once, the other watches. Let them see each other. Two hours."

He's broken and can not be healed.

Kid grits his teeth, but you look at him, and he forces his muscles to relax.

He doesn't hit the guard when he pulls you away. You shiver as his warm skin leaves yours, only leaving behind a fading, weak mark.

You feel the air as heavy as lead when you try to breathe. They tie your arms to your body, and they secure Kid too.

You see the amber eyes fixed on your face, sense the tension in his body as he doesn't resist.

We have to reach my limit to get away. It won't help a bit if he starts fighting now.

You look back at King and smile, clenching your fist as the chains pull you up into the air by your feet. You don't feel fear of the pain.

You feel anger and sadness for all of this happening to him because he cares. And you feel hope for the future, confidence in your power.

One person can teach so much, only by existing, talking, and living. One person teaches a way how to grow stronger.

He's lost and never belonged to a prison, a place of shackles.

And you will set him free.

King's bright gaze never leaves your face as they lower the chains, and the water touches your hair, slowly whelming the locks before reaching your head. Kid closes his eyes and turns his head away.

He can't.

You take one last deep breath, even if you know it's no use. They will keep you down until you almost drown.

You gave me a chance to run away, but I couldn't. My death won't bother you after this, King. The strong must overcome, and the weak must perish. That's how your world is, but not mine. I have my own path to follow.