Twenty-nine

You grit your teeth and pant for air silently from your hurt chest, but look up at the man and raise your head. You smirk at him widely.

I won't listen to you anymore.

"You have no right to talk about my past while hiding from yours, King," you say, lifting back your katana. "Whatever name I wore once, it won't define who I am now."

"You don't know what you're talking about," he growls.

"Answer my questions or fight me!" you yell. "If my past, my name wanted to find me, my Devil Fruit would have worked. I found my own dreams, and I will follow them."

"You only have one true dream, Three," he answers, effortlessly stepping out from the way of your next cut. "The woman you saw, sitting at the shore of the sea. You never thought about who she is? The one who found such peace in the ocean that it became the only thing you dream about?"

You freeze down from his words. It was long years ago when you told him about this, but he remembers.

And you told it to Kid too. After the two of you left the prison, and you saw a chance of the dream coming true.

.

.

.

"Once, I wanna touch the sea."

"You can't swim."

"I didn't mean swimming. I just want to touch it. Once. It's so close but still unreachable."

He looked at you, but you were watching your hand as the moonlight played on your skin before you continued.

"I have a real dream as you do. Something to fight for."

"You can choose something bigger."

"I don't want to. Once after I fell asleep, I saw a young woman sitting by the sea. She was at the edge of the waves as they reach the shore, so she saw her reflection in them each time. I remember she sat there for a long time, and I sat next to her, as she laid her hand over the sand. She smiled as the water ran over her skin. I wanted to feel the same, smile in the same way, but part of me knew it wasn't real. It was her life, her emotion, her reality."

"So you want to feel the same?"

"No, of course not. I wanna find my own way of being happy for the sea."

.

.

.

"Why are you asking me these questions?" you shout angrily, rushing against him again.

He knocks you down, and you bend from the sudden pain but manage to avoid his next strike. "Why are you asking me if you don't want me to remember?"

Stop playing already.

"I want you to understand how meaningless your life is," he answers, his voice distant and calm. "That you gave it up once. You can't answer me because you gave up who you were. And this has to be enough proof that you won't miss your current self either."

"I didn't... come here to talk," you groan, but you have to stop for a moment to catch your breath. Blood falls to the floor from a slight wound on your head. "I never wanted to be a fighter, King. But you left me no choice."

A red droplet travels down your cheek, and you lick it off from the corner of your lips. You throw back your head and start laughing.

This is the third time of you losing control. The first was after they threw you Kid's cell, as you laughed from the desperation of the torture and your fear.