Twelve

Later

Kid dodges the blow of the last man standing, with a wide smile on his painted lips.

You jump there and grab the neck of your enemy, throwing him over your shoulder. When he's still crawling after he lands, you kick him on the head to knock him out.

All of them are Smile Users.

"Why do you keep taking the last hit?!" shouts Kid angrily.

"I don't want them to die," you answer. "They are still humans."

"They would kill us without hesitating, Three," he scoffs.

"King raised me to kill everyone who I fight, in the most painful way possible," you shake your head. "I won't do what he wanted. I have to be different."

"At least he was right about somethin'," huffs Kid, taking a sword from one of them. "Now, let's cut all their heads off and pile them up at that tree."

"Why would we do that?!"

"Pile of bodies, pile of heads," he grins.

You shiver and catch his arm before he strikes down.

"You do that to people?" you ask with widened eyes. His smirk grows, but he lets you stop him.

"It's a classic."

"Let's take what we need and go."

Kid snorts loudly and throws away the sword.

"First and last time I listen to you," he says. Then he crouches down and rummages through a bag. His eyes gleam as he pulls out a pack of onigiri, and he eats one in whole. Your heart warms as you see his pure happiness.

Then he sits down on one of the unconscious pirates like there's nothing more natural than that. "This world isn't made to keep enemies alive."

You sit down and start searching, hitting the man by your side when he almost wakes up.

Kid looks at you while chewing and throws you one of the rice balls. You smile slightly and take a bite. It's nothing like the dango from the prison.

"You're stronger than I thought," he says. "It's good."

"You did almost everything," you answer, finishing your food. It's the best you have eaten in the last few years. "Hurry up. We have to keep moving and find a safe place."

"How about going back towards the prison for a while?" he asks, shoving even more food into his mouth. You smile at him as you see his cheeks turn puffy like a hamster's. "They won't search for us that way."

"That was my first thought too," you say. "But King would know that this was my first thought, so it's no use."

"What if he knows that you know he would know?"

"And if he knows that I would know that he knows that he knows that I know that he would know that I know what even you know?"

Kid blinks at you confusedly and swallows the rice. He almost looks scared.

The man he's sitting on moves, and the redhead looks down surprisedly.

"Would you knock me out?" he cries. "I can't listen to this anymore."

"Gladly."

You turn your head away as Kid punches the other in the face. Then you collect the bags, emptying one to collect all the food you find, alongside some medical equipment.

Your hands shake in anger at how much they carried to eat, only for scout mission.

"Let's go," you say. "The more we think about it, the worse it gets."