Showdown at Dawn

Hello everyone, Jess here!

This chapter is one of the longest and most major ones so far( 49.2 pages/17,029 words), so be sure to take breaks as needed.

If you have any questions or comments about this chapter, let me know; I'd like to hear from you!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(f/c)= favorite color

The clunking of your armored boots echoed through the briefing room as you reentered, the pulsating azure accents of your garb shining bright amidst the darkness.

"Wow" Hunk breathed as several of your teammates gasped in unison, eyes wide as they took in your gauntlets and the rocket boosters fixed to your back and feet. Locked in place by the black slip layered underneath, your paladin armor ran all the way up to your knees with the corresponding belt clasping your Garrison jacket in place.

Its sleeves had been cut short to fit under the gleaming sliver modules at your elbows, with a half of the incident bandana tied just under the golden crest on your shoulders. Every last detail, from your tight mid-ponytail to the reflective stripes of black ink smeared under your eyes, had been meticulously chosen for the battle ahead.

"You look amazing!" Romelle squealed.

"Cool, isn't it?" Lance sauntered, a hand falling to his hips as he saw how your light was reflected in everyone's eyes. "We figured that if (Y/n)'s going to be a revolutionary general today, she might as well look the part" It certainly made you feel the part, driving sparks of determination towards your chest like molten iron coursing through your veins. "You're welcome, by the way."

"You're officially a cadet and paladin" Sam observed, beaming at the genius of that combination.

"Paladet!" Coran chimed in.

"And stronger than both" Adam concluded with a curt nod, spreading your smile even wider.

"Thank you, you two have really outdone yourselves this time." Allura and Lance had certainly nailed this look right on the spot. With his expertise on making an entrance combined with her impeccable eye for fashion and experience of making such momentous broadcasts, you couldn't think of a better duo for the job.

"Appearances are half the battle, so it was the least we could do" Allura supposed, ever the graceful princess through and through.

"Alright (Y/n), I'm in position" Pidge radioed in from your earpiece, jerking your gaze towards the nearest wall so you could soak in every word.

"Good, is the footage all ready?"

"Yep, the controls are synced with your gauntlets" with a brush of a finger, a blue holographic display wrapped around your right forearm. Along with the option to override the Garrison's servers at any time, you could broadcast any scene at the touch of a button. Everything had fallen into place right in the nick of time, but the tide could always change.

"Stay on standby, there's no telling what James will pull today."

"Rodger that."

"The same goes for the rest of you" your shoulders rolled back as you met the gathered assembly head-on. "We need to be ready for everything and anything." With the fate of your beloved, your home, and the entire universe teetering in the balance, failure wasn't an option. You could feel the danger pressing like a stampede against your chest, hear it crackling through the air like an all-consuming fire burning at your lungs and the edges of your vision, steeling your gaze.