✔ C h a p t e r 42

Hi. I know its been a while, but I got a gift for you guys to set the mood for this chapter. Just listen to the song link in this chapter before reading. Enjoy!

It's been an hour since Emma arrived at the hospital, worried sick about her daughter's condition

It's been an hour since Emma arrived at the hospital, worried sick about her daughter's condition. They were just lucky enough to calm her down in instant, being guided by Soomi's mom and the doctor who is in-charge for monitoring Ahyi.

Ahyi on the other hand was instructed to take some rest and was left inside the hospital room with Jeno and Jaemin.

She really does need a lot of rest. They have also set-up the room lighting for her but her mind was just occupied, mostly bothered by Jeno's presence.

He was surprisingly silent, leaning against the wall meters away from Ahyi's bed, just watching Ahyi talk to Jaemin from afar.

Maybe because he couldn't bring himself to walk closer to her. In his head, he is the reason why she is in the hospital in the first place.

A sudden knock on the door caught their attention. Jeno stood up straight, while Ahyi and Jaemin's chit-chat came into a halt.

Their gazes met Nurse Min's frame, peeking from the half-open door. "Jaemin?" She mumbles, thinking Ahyi is asleep.

"Yes Aunty?" Jaemin responded, flashing a smile with anticipation.

"The dinner that I was talking about earlier is ready" She murmur, entering the room. "I was thinking if you could pick 'em up so you and Ahyi could eat dinner."

Jaemin let out an 'oh' then proceeded to nod. "Is that all?"

Nurse Min hand out her card to Jaemin. "Actually can you add two more meal. I wasn't expecting Emma and Jeno to arrive so I wasn't able to include them."

Jeno shook his head, "I am fine, I could just eat when I go home-"

"No, it's fine Jeno. Eat with us, besides it's pass dinner time." She insisted, leaving him without a choice. "Jaemin, the store was just a few blocks away, is it fine with you?"

"Yes. I'll just pick my jacket and head out."

"Thank you Jaemin. I'll just check up on some patients and be right back with Emma so we could eat all together." The three young adults agreed in unison while Nurse Min excuse herself.

Ahyi watch Jaemin put on his jacket while he asks her what she wanted so he could buy it for her. Ahyi just shooks her head, smiling at Jaemin. "Just go safely."

Jaemin hummed, ruffling her hair in adoration. "You'll be alright here." He reassured, nodding his head towards Jeno too before leaving the room.

The room went dead silent. It wasn't awkward at all yet wasn't too comfortable for Ahyi.

She sat up and lean against the headboard, head hanging low while playing with her fingers to release some tension.

Jeno notice Ahyi's uneasiness, slowly approaching her and stopping at the other end of the bed. "How are you feeling?" he murmur, nibbling with his fingertips in anxiousness too.

Ahyi gradually raise her head and timidly smiled, "I'm fine." She respond, proceeding to look at her hands again.

Jeno hummed, one foot tapping against the floor before it gets too silent. "I really wanted to say sorry for telling your mom." He began, catching Ahyi's attention. "Not that I want to interfere but I felt responsible-"

"No it's fine Jeno, don't worry" Ahyi said, "I think it's better. Maybe Jaemin was right that my parents need to know... and now I'm thru with that concern."

"Yeah right~" Jeno pressed his lips thin, rubbing his nape simultaneously, "And another thing, I am really sorry for what just happened. I am sorry I have no clue Chaerim was acting like that towards you."

Ahyi purse her lips, "She does really like you, y'know." eyes locking in contact with Jeno's. "You see, I'm sorry for what Soomi and Jia did to her. There wasn't any excuse for intentionally hurting someone."

Jeno hummed, agreeing with her statement.

"I also heard you ask your friends to be patient with her... and as much as I wanted to understand-" Ahyi gaze anywhere but Jeno, kinda hesitant to continue her words. "I don't want to act like it was okay."

"I know. I wasn't going to ask you to forgive her-"

"No I mean-" Ahyi took a deep breath, pinching her nose bridge. "you see... She did it because of you. She thinks that if you're not going to be with her, then no one else could be."

Jeno's eyes soften, too guilty to admit that it was indeed his situation. "I-" he stutter.

Ahyi looked down, moistening her lips in anxiousness, finding being too confrontational in her current situation is unbearable.

"I don't want to be included in your drama." She blurted out, lump clogging with too much honesty in her throat. "I feel uncomf'table having to do with any of it."

Running a hand through her hair to calm her perturbed feelings, Ahyi gaze at Jeno apologetically.

She bit her lips in uneasiness, anticipating how Jeno will take her words.

Just listening, Jeno tapped his shoe against the floor, biting his thumbnail while contemplating the meaning of her words.

He was somewhat hurt by the truth. Her words was enough to discourage him, thinking she has a point.

"I just did everything I can to protect myself. You should make it clear that we are just friends." Ahyi mumbled, true to her words. "I think she misunderstood me, especially that... y'know-"

"That we have liked each other before?"

Ahyi nod, not even planning to deny it. She's done running away and surely she learned her lesson.

Words slowly sinking-in, confrontation with Chaerim makes sense. Jeno realize how different the girl he likes now.

His orbs sparkle, glint of sadness flashing before his eyes while she just stared back at him.

Unlike how his last hope came crashing down, Ahyi was simply telling him how she feels. Not considering anything but herself.

Jeno forcefully smiled, "I understand." swallowing the words 'Ahyi might not like him right now, but she will anytime sooner.'

As much he does not want to admit this might be the last sign he needs to stop pursuing Ahyi, Jeno shrugs the turmoil burdening his chest.

"But are we good?" Jeno asks, pointing his finger back and forth from him to Ahyi.

Ahyi genuinely smiled. "I think we are."

"