• Chapter Eighteen

Comenzar desde el principio

"I bet he was driving the car." Kamille says out of nowhere, rolling her eyes at Amir. "And I guarantee you he's either high or drunk! Just look at him! See Kendra, this is what happens when you let your children consort—.."

"FERME TA GUEULE!" Monet screams at her aunt in their native tongue. "TANTE KAMILLE THIS IS NOT THE TIME OR THE PLACE! NOT WHILE MY SISTER IS IN THERE FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE, if you were paying attention then you would know that they had to sedate him so please keep your unwarranted opinions to yourself!"

I looked up at Shi and I could tell that he was biting his tongue, he does not play when it comes to his family so I know it was taking a lot for him to remain quiet.

Kamille cleared her throat and readjusted her sitting position in the chair before looking up at the news that was playing on the TV. Monet had her ass on hush mouth, as she fucking should.

I'm not sure when it happened, but I dozed off. I was sound asleep with my head rest of Shi's shoulder. I had to be sleep for at least an hour when I heard the doctor calling for Kauner's family.

"Family of Kauner Wright?"

We let her parents walk ahead and we stood behind them as we waited for the doctor to deliver the news.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wright, your daughter just got out of surgery about ten minutes ago. She had multiple injuries including blunt force trauma to the head which caused a lot of swelling to her brain, a fractured nose and some internal bleeding. Fortunately we were able to stop the bleeding and save the fetus but we'll need to monitor her brain for a few days to ensure that her swelling has gone down."

"Wait, what did you just say about a fetus?" Uncle Gabriel asks him again, trying to make sure he wasn't hearing things. "My daughter isn't pregnant so there has to be some kind of mistake."

"...Umm, according to the ultrasound our technician performed on your daughter she's about ten weeks pregnant. You didn't know?"

I could feel Shi looking at me but I avoided making eye contact with him. I was too busy pretending like I was listening to the doctor.

I wonder is that why Kauner had been acting so weird all day, and why in the hell didn't she tell us?

"Of course we didn't know." Auntie Ken sighs, glancing back at Amir who was still sitting down. "But that's not even important right now, when can we see our daughter?"

"She's resting now but I'll allow you and your husband back to the ICU to see her, but unfortunately everyone else will have to come back during visiting hours."

"Okay that's fine, can you take us to her now?"

"Yes sir, right this way." He responds to Uncle Gabriel just as he took his wife's hand.

Just as they disappeared down the hall and the doors closed, Amir got up and walked out of the waiting area. He was walking towards the front entrance of the hospital and Khalil was already running behind him. Shi went too and I started following behind him.

"Milan where are you going? You should be here for Kauner." My dad said, grabbing my arm.

"DON'T you touch me!" I snatch away from him before continuing to run after Shi. "Go comfort your new family!"