With that parting sentence, you left Carlisle and his "family" behind moving in the opposite direction than the human. It was pure curiosity that made you sneakily wait for the human far enough from the Cullen house but firmly on the path that you were bound to see her.

HIS MATE POV

Dr. Cullen was like a magician. His patients could pull through from the most toughest situation. His focus, his ability to hone in things that others might take more time to think or being so meticulous with his surgeries, he had everything that could get him work in a really swanky hospital in a big city without any difficulties and yet you found him in a place like Forks. You couldn't believe your luck.

Maybe you could come off a little weird. Your appearance didn't scream smart medical student. You were loud and sarcastic. You never said no to a good party as long as it didn't affect your studies. You gotta live a little right?

Except you were going insane right now. It was crunch time and you had to study all that you could to pass a very difficult test in the upcoming days. Dr. Cullen had a very useful library right at his house. Nothing better than free books or pizzas to a college student. Sure something was off about the whole family like they were almost not human, you weren't naive. You knew there were things out there that might not fit in the normal equation. But you kept your priorities in mind and pretended to notice nothing about the Cullens as long as they didn't notice anything about you.

You were carrying a few books that were useful to you and walked back to the main area. You treated books with the utmost respect hence the reason Dr. Cullen would let you borrow them. "I'm sorry I barged in like that but Mr. Ross can be a such a turd." You smiled apologetically towards Edward. Dr. Cullen had a guest over so Edward was helping you.

"Not a problem Y/N but you better hurry." It was almost completely dark and you still found it difficult to navigate the way out from the Cullen house. These people really liked their privacy.

"I've got everything I need. Thanks for the tips, I will be back to return this at the end of the week" You kept the books in your backpack making it weigh too much than it's capable of handling.

On your way out, you never saw Carlisle's guest. You kept your backpack on the passenger seat and started your car to warm up a little. It was completely dark now and you were surely going to get lost if you weren't careful.

You were jamming to a song playing on the CD when you saw a tall figure standing by the side of the road. You passed by him, you certainly weren't stopping for some random stranger in the middle of nowhere. But you did stop when that same stranger was standing in the middle of the road two minutes later. You were paralysed by fear and shock. It was one thing to be aware about strange things and completely different to witness it.

It looked like he could see you clearly despite the headlights beaming at him. He was tall, disheveled and dressed weirdly with his freaking red eyes that made him a complete creepy package. You tried to keep your cool and looked past his exterior appearance, see inside him. You may not be that high on the freak spectrum like him but you had a talent of your own. You could see inside someone and read them. It came in handy when the world was filled with people ready to cross any boundaries for their selfish gains.

Surprisingly he was nothing of malice or ill intentions but more annoyed like he had figured out the puzzle but wasn't happy about it. By the time you blinked he was gone. You certainly weren't that gone off from stress to experience hallucinations.

The knock on your window startled you so bad you let out an ugly scream. "Stop the screeching, will you? It's unbearable" His voice was so different, snobby and demanding. He opened your door before you could think of locking it and then unbelievably, he just ..stared. "Wh-what do you want?" Your voice was almost a whisper, the fear was suffocating you.