33

Rose's PoV

  "How are you feeling, Kian? Should I change the bandages for you now?" Kian shook his head before smiling at me.

  "I'm fine. It wound wasn't that bad. I didn't notice the barbarian coming swinging its sword at me while I was fending some of the werewolves from coming your way. Don't blame yourself for this. I'm fine." How can I not? If only I were strong enough to protect everyone, Kian wouldn't get hurt.

  Because of me and my incompetence, I almost lost my husband. How can I continue living knowing that my husband died protected me? How am I supposed to face Kiera?

  "Hey! Rose- get it together! You're scaring me with the way you stare at nothingness." I turned to my husband before grabbing both of his shoulders.

  "I made up my mind- we dragged this matter for far too long, and I sense that we're playing into the crown prince's plan. I'm sick of being pushed around by that bastard. And I know I would never admit this before, but I missed Kiera. I want to hug that daughter so bad that I'm willing to do whatever I can to end this." Kian chuckled.

  "You heard the lady, Gisele. She wants to end it all as soon as possible. Is it possible for you to come back to the battlefield?" Huh? Gisele? I turned to the door and noticed that Gisele was standing by the door, smiling at us.

  "Of course. That's the whole reason I am here. Rona has been doing her best to place the little demons around the enemy camp. They're waiting for my mother's orders to attack from the inside out. Rose, are you willing to be called a monster? Because this war has made quite an impression on everyone other than our ally. If my mother gave her orders, that means you will have to bear the name of a ruler that uses demons to achieve her goal. Are you willing?" At this point, I am willing to do whatever I can.

  "I don't care. Let's end this war." Gisele chuckled before she walked into the room.

  "Then pardon my intrusion because I have an idea that might help us." Gisele placed her sword on a table before explaining to us her plan.

  "You want to use black magic? But using black magic will take a lot of energy, and it will surely hurt your body even more." Kian shows his concerns for Gisele's idiotic idea.

  "That's alright. I am half-demon, and I could regenerate myself with ease. I've used black magic before I survive. Dealing with the crown prince won't be a problem for me. But while I take care of that bastard, you two need to keep an eye on the soldiers. Also, that woman, the scouts, mentioned before- she's bad news." I'm intrigued to know more about that woman.

  "Do you know who she is?" Gisele nodded.

  "An ambitious witch who wants to make the world bow to her feet. Keep yourself away from that witch." Gisele warned both of us. Lucky for the dame, I'm planning to go just that.

  LATER THAT DAY,

  "This is madness, Rose. That woman is out of her mind! How did she take a dragon and even ride on its back with ease?! And is Gisele well enough to fight? Even if she's half-demon, she should be having some difficulty continuing wielding that heavy sword of hers. We should call this mission off. Now!" I grabbed hold of Catherine's shoulder before shaking my head.

  I tried to stop Gisele from continuing with her crazy ideas, but she wouldn't listen. All Gisele could think of was going home and meeting Calypso. Even if she had to drag everyone with her- the dame would do whatever she can to-

  "She's off. Even Kian?! What if they both got into trouble? How are we supposed to help them? I-" I smiled at Catherine. I understand her worries, but she should take a chill pill.

  "Gisele said she can handle it. Kian is there to keep things in control." Catherine pinched the bridge of her nose.

  "What's the point of me saying anything if they choose to ignore my words? I- I am going insane. Did you know that your mother tried to gather nobles who go against you in the palace? Calypso is having a hard time as we speak." My mother, Margaux Hawthorne, has never thought of me as her daughter.

  That woman only cares for Constance, my sister, because my mother thinks Constance is a better ruler than I am. It's also probably because I ignored my mother's desire and decided to marry Kian instead of the man she chose. Since I was crowned as the empress, Margaux Hawthorne has done her best to dethrone me.

  "Once we clear out all our problems here, we shall take care of the imperial family next." I smiled, but Catherine doesn't like it when I am.

  "You're smiling- there's never a dull moment whenever you smile."

  "I was smiling. It doesn't mean I'll do anything stupid that might get me into trouble." Besides, my husband is doing something pretty crazy himself. I should be the one who stays sane.

  "Where are you going?" Catherine asked when I walked away from her.

  "Where else? I'm getting myself ready for the next and final phase." Catherine grabbed hold of my shoulder.

  "And what might that be?" I smirked at my old friend before laughing away.

  "I'm just getting the sweepers ready for when the dame and the prince brought me the crown prince head. It shouldn't be that difficult for them to handle. Besides, the witch who seems to be the one who has pulled all the string behind the scene doesn't care much about the crown prince." Catherine sighed.

  "I don't like this, Rose. I don't. Why didn't any of you try to consult me first?"

  "Because we know you won't agree to it." Cathrine shakes her head.

  "Damn it."