39

Kiera's PoV

    This morning my mother told me that I could watch as she met the nobles and delegation from other countries. So far, I do enjoy myself, but something tells me nothing good will happen between the delegation from the Western Kingdom. They seem to be aiming for something which I have no idea about. Even my mother and father look annoyed.

    "Is it alright for Kiera to witness this?" My father asked.

    "Of course. She will be the future ruler of this empire. As long as Kiera doesn't mind, that is." I smiled at my parents.

    "I don't mind. Carry on, please." My mother smiled before she asked the knights to lead the delegation inside. I know today's lesson is one of the hardest I'll ever face.

    As the delegation entered the room, none of them greeted my parents. That can be considered treason, but my mother seems like she doesn't want to say anything about it. It's odd now that I think about it. Has my mother decided to be a wise ruler instead of using bold force as she usually does? Will that be a problem for the empire?

    "Well, state your reason for coming to the empire. Are you going to continue to let me wait?" My mother speaks up. The delegations began to explain why they were here, and I honestly couldn't believe myself as I continued listening to the words they uttered.

    "Is that so? Do you think it's unreasonable for the empire to ask for such a tax from the Western Kingdom? Has the king lost his mind? The war didn't hurt him, right?" If I'm not mistaken, the western king didn't provide any military forces for the war. And for them to question the taxes that the imperial family had agreed upon is idiotic.

    "Your king must have been spouting nonsense again, huh? Did duke Jean-Paul, no, did my brother in law begin to gather forces outside the empire so that he could have the throne while I'm busy with the war? I must say, Jean-Paul has been acting like a suspicious person from the start. Not only did he decide to stay behind Constance's shadow but also misuse his power and influence in the black market is something I should have dealt with months ago." My father placed her hand on my mother's shoulder.

    I always knew that duke Jean-Paul is a sketchy person, but I didn't expect him to be dealing with the black market. My aunt must have been in quite a situation if her husband is in trouble. That included my grandmother, who wished for the duke to have the throne more than my mother. Just because my mother decided to marry my father, who was an illegitimate child of a noble family- this family is quite broken, to begin with.

    Not only did my mother decide to have my father the prince title, but also to acknowledge his right as the empress husband is something my grandmother hated. My mother is such a bold person, and I was not too fond of that part of her because my grandmother said my mother doesn't like me. I don't know why I let that old woman get the best of me when my mother is trying her best to protect me and the empire.

    Everything changes when Gisele comes to the palace. I don't know how but that woman did something so that everyone could finally open their eyes to the truth.

    "Please show our rude delegation the door. I don't have time to talk to people who don't know his place. Send their head back to the western king." And there goes the tyrant empress, who everyone fears. My mother smiled when she realized I was there.

    "Oh- please ignore that, my princess." How could I?

    A FEW WEEKS LATER,

    "I heard Gisele's partner is in labor. That's why she couldn't come to our lesson this morning. Do you think the child would look like the grand duchess or the dame?" Vargan asked as we continued to soar under Norman's teaching.

    "I heard that the grand duchess is carrying three babies. So I'm sure one of the babies would look like the dame. But I believe that all of them would have such beautiful figures once they grew up. I mean, the grand duchess and the dame is not that bad themselves." Vargan agrees with me.

    "The palace has been quite hectic since the grand duchess is in labor. The servants seem a bit eager too. I wonder why they're excited, though. Isn't it normal for a pregnant woman to give birth?" Vargan pointed out.

    "It's probably because they never thought the dame would become a parent. That's why the servants and even my mother seem too excited for the couple. Anyway, Vargan, what happened to your face? Did you fight with your siblings again?" Vargan smiled at me as he purposely let me hit his shoulder with my training sword.

    "You can say that. It was more than a fight, and I'm glad I won in the end." Norman decided to end the spar when Vargan dropped his sword.

    "Ten-minute break," Norman announced before we walked towards a table to drink some water.

    "Does it hurt?" Vargan shakes his head no.

    "It hurts if I lost the battle, but I won, ending well. Of course, my mother lectured me about my safety and all, but it was unavoidable." I want to know more, but I don't want to pry.

    "Do you want to have some cookies?" I asked to change the subject. Vargan smiled and took one of the cookies that I offered.

    "I hope you will avoid fighting with anyone in the future. It will ruin your appearance if you continue doing so. Besides, you're not the type to result in violence, Vargan. You're wiser than your other siblings." Vargan smiled at me.

    "Are you worried about me, princess?" I nodded.

    "You're my friend. Of course, I would get worried. What kind of friend would I be if I let someone I care about gets hurt?" Vargan's expression changed, but it went as fast as it came.

    "I understand, and I will keep that in mind." I smiled. Luckily that talk went well.

    LATER THAT DAY,

    "Nanny, did the grand duchess give birth?" My nanny nodded her head as she got me ready for bed.

    "The grand duchess and the dame are blessed with a son and two daughters. If you want to, we can visit the grand duchess and the dame tomorrow. We can bring Sit Vargan with us." I smiled.

    "I like that. How did the dame act when she saw her child?" The nanny finds it funny.

    "The dame was speechless because she didn't realize how hard a woman gave birth to a child. The grand duchess did her best in birthing three amazing and strong babies. Even the physicians were astounded by how much energy she has even after long hours of pushing." Well- she is half-demon now. It's not even weird at all.

    "Of all the things that could happen, I hope another war doesn't break out. If not, the dame has to go back to the battlefield. Luckily the recent war didn't take that much effort to win since the empress managed to grasp the situation, but if the Western Kingdom decided to retaliate and fight for its freedom, the empire had to fight back. And I'm sure it will take a toll on the empire since many of our soldiers have perished." I understand the nanny's concerns.

    Her son was part of the imperial knights, and he barely managed to save himself. If the  Western Kingdom declares war against us, how will the empire defend its honor?

    "Even though the dame and duchess Catherine is quite an excellent war strategist, with the number of our soldiers left, even the greatest warrior couldn't fight off thousands of enemy soldiers at once. I'm afraid my son has to go back to the battlefield too. Oh- I'm sorry, princess. I didn't mean to run my mouth like so. Please do forgive me and let me help you to get ready for bed." I smiled at my nanny.

    "I'm sure my mother and father will prevent it. You can have my word that my mother is a different woman now." The nanny smiled.

    "Thank you for those kind words, your highness. Now, should we go to bed?" I nodded as I walked towards the bed.

    "Would you like to hear a bedtime story?" I shake my head no.

    "I'm tired, and I would to sleep now. But thank you for the offer." The nanny smiled as she tugged me to bed.

    "Have a pleasant dream, your highness. Tomorrow is another day, and I hope you'll have a nice cream tonight. Good night." My nanny is like a second mother to me. It's a known fact that the moment I was born, my nanny was the one who held me first as she placed me on my mother's arm.

    There was a time when I envied my nanny's children for having such a kind and passionate mother. It's not that I am not grateful for my mother. My mother was too busy taking care of state affairs than raising me. I'm lucky to have a father who cares, and now I am even happier since my mother listens to what I have to say.

    "Sleep tight." My nanny said before she left my room.

    THE NEXT DAY, the princess decided to visit the grand duchess. 

    "Princess, sir Vargan, you have to be quiet as you meet the newborn. They're sleeping right now. It was hard for the grand duchess to make them go to sleep since they're too active for their good." The servants chuckled around me.

    "Okay. We promise to keep quiet." The servant smiled as she opened the door that led us to the baby's room. I have to say, the babies look quite normal for me. I thought they might have horns or sharp teeth, just like in the books.

    "You look a bit disappointed, princess. Did you think the babies would have horns and sharp teeth?" Vargan teases me.

    "Oh, shut up, Vargan." Vargan chuckled as quietly as he could as we smiled at the grand duchess who sat on a chair enjoying her alone time.

    "This one has the dame's hair while the others possessed blonde hair like the grand duchess. My mother wasn't kidding when she said the babies would grow to be such a heartthrob." Vargan looks at the grand duchess before bowing his head.

    "Congratulation for surviving the birth, grand duchess. It must have been quite a process for you." The grand duchess chuckled before she offered us tea in the next room.

    "Sir Vargan, did you know that the devil said the same thing when he visited the children?" The grand duchess said while waving her hand for the servants to prepare our refreshment.

    "Really? I have no idea. Please do forgive me if I offended you, milady." The grand duchess smiled.

    "Princess, is everything alright?" I looked up to Calypso.

    "I thought the babies would have horns. I was disappointed." The grand duchess was speechless, while Vargan couldn't control himself anymore.

    "Sir Vargan, did you tell the princess unnecessary stories again?" Vargan wipes the tears off her cheek.

    "I did. But I didn't know the princess would believe me. I'm sorry, princess." I should have known better, but I was so excited to see it, though.

    "Please don't be disappointed, princess. I believe you'll be able to watch as they grow to be a demon. Because I know with the way Gisele is, I'm sure she will teach them a couple of dreadful things. Not that I will give her my consent. That would be weird if me. But I will raise them to be useful for the empire. Rest assured. I will make sure they will be of help for you in the future." The grand duchess was referring to when I became the empress myself.

    "I hope so. Anyway, congratulation on the birth of your children, milady. Here is a little gift that I had to prepare for you." I handed my gift, which Calypso accepted with open arms.

    "Thank you. Please do enjoy your refreshment. Anyway, I hope none of you mind, but what is happening? Gisele, we're in a rush this morning, and when I asked the servants, none of them gave me a straight answer. I'm sure the princess would know better, right?" Calypso smiled. She wants me to tell her the truth or else.

    "It must be because the Western Kingdom wishes to be an independent country. They want to leave the empire. But the empress probably thinks it's a bad idea." Vargan explained.

    "I see-"

    "But please don't worry. You need to focus on your recovery, and the reason the dame didn't tell you anything is that she wants you to relax. The empress will surely know what to do." I assured the grand duchess. Calypso smiled.

    "I understand. Thank you for being honest." Vargan and I smiled back at the grand duchess.