24

Rose's PoV

It's been a while since I put on a disguise and walked through the city street like this. The only reason I managed to get out of the palace today is that Kian forces me to follow Kiera to the city. Normally it would be him who accompanied the child, but this time, he asked me to come with her.

I'm sure no one would recognize me since only commoners shop here. I made sure to get away from any noble's sight because they might or might not notice who I am.

"Mom, look. A teddy bear!" I smiled.

"Do you think my friends will like it?" I nodded. It has come to my attention that Kiera has made friends with several kids from the alley. One of her friends is celebrating his birthday, and Kiera wants to find a perfect gift for him.

"Do you think he will like a teddy bear? I don't think so, honey." I mean, the friend is a boy after all. There's no way he would like a bear.

"You're right, mom. I should find other things that can be given as a gift." I smiled at the child before following her around. It is my first time seeing this child like this. I always asked the nanny or Kian about Kiera, but I witnessed it today. This child is not as bad as I thought she was.

"Mom, do you want to go to the party with me? I'm sure daddy will be able to handle the affairs for one day, right?" It does sound like a great idea. But-

"Do you think your father will allow it? I don't mind accompanying you to the party." Kiera smiled.

"Don't worry- I will talk to daddy, and I'm sure he will listen to what I say. Oh! Mom, look! What about these? Do you think my friend will like it?" Kiera was referring to a set of wooden swords and shields. Hmmm- it's made in such superb quality. I would like it if this person works for the palace, though.

"Excuse me- how much does this cost?" I asked the seller. The seller smiled and told me his price.

"This cost five golds, ma'am." And it was quite cheap for something of this quality! I paid the seller before asking if the seller himself made this fine wooden sword and shield.

"Oh no- a girl send it to my store, and it's selling pretty well. If you like, I can give you an address and the girl's name." The seller offered.

"That would be great. Thank you." The seller smiled.

"Hey- it's what is small business owners do. We promote one another to provide enough food on the table for our family at the end of the day. Here you go." I thanked the seller once again as I took the paper.

"Come again." The seller smiled as he gave Kiera the sword and shield.

"We found a decent gift! Should we continue looking around, mom? Or should we stop by a cafe and have some tea?" I smiled at how excited the child was.

"Alright. Let's stop for some tea. You should choose which cafe, Kiera." Kiera nodded before she led me to a cafe nearby that sells some cold cream or something.

"Hold on- is this what your father mentioned not long ago? Some sweets made from ice?" Kiera nodded.

"Please- can I have it?" Normally I would say no, but since she's been a good child today, why not? I nodded before Kiera thanked me as we walked into the cafe. We choose to sit by the window.

"I would like to have Darjeeling black tea. And one of your strawberry ice cream." The waitress smiled before she went to the kitchen with our order. I turned my attention to the windows and just watched as the people of Goterra continued their days like usual.

"Sometimes it dawns on me that you're the ruler of this vast empire, and someday I have to do the same. Mom, how do you do it?" I chuckled since I found it funny that my daughter would ask me such a question.

"Oh, I'm the worse ruler Goterra has ever seen. I am a tyrant who seeks endless war, and many hate me. Do you know how many soldiers' life that perished because of my tyranny?" Kiera seems unfazed by what I said.

"I believe that everything you decided to do is for the empire's benefit. Others might not see what you did, but daddy did. It's enough for me if daddy trusted you." Kian? That man often lectures me for what I did, though.

"Don't be like me, Kiera. You'll regret it." The waitress came back with our order.

"Enjoy." The waitress smiled before excusing herself.

"Mom- is it possible for me to request something?" I hummed.

"Sure. Suppose it's within my power, of course. Tell me your request." Kiera smiled.

"Is it possible for me to have a pair of official clothes that is not a dress? I want to wear something like you did when you met people or delegation." Oh- in other words, she wants a suit?

"Sure. I shall talk with your nanny so that she can make proper arrangements for you." Kiera thanked me.

"I understand how annoying it gets when wearing a dress. You must be happy to wear your training clothes. Huh." Kiera blushed.

"Well, you can say that. Don't get me wrong- dresses have gorgeous designs, but when I saw you wear something other than a dress, it made you more like an empress with power. I don't know how to explain my feelings." Kiera tried to hide her face as she ate her ice cream.

"I-" a group of wizards suddenly entered the premises and demanded to see the cafe manager. Kiera flinched as she felt some aura resonating from the wizards.

"Mom-" I placed a finger on my lips when one of the wizards turned their attention to our table. Did they recognize me? Or-

"We're from the palace, and we would like to collect your rent money for this month." One of the wizards announced. Since when did I authorize this? I never asked wizards to collect rent.

"Mom- they're using the palace as an excuse. Do something! If this continues, our name will be tarnished." I placed a finger on my lips. Kiera takes that as a sign to keep her thoughts to herself.

"But we already paid the rent this month." The manager said before one of the wizards slammed his hand on the counter.

"How many times do we have to tell you that we will be the one who collects the rent from now on! If this continues, the palace will have to take action. Who knows what will the tyrant empress do to you all small business owners who don't pay rent!" That's enough.

I smiled at Kiera before standing up from my seat. I have no choice but to reveal myself now. Stupid wizards! Once I removed the spells that I used to conceal my identity, the wizard who turned to our table earlier dropped to his knee before placing his head on the ground.

"What are you doing?! Get up!" The wizards who threatened the cafe manager were speechless to see me standing not far from where he stands.

"Empress Rose?! And princess Kiera?! What are you two doing here?!"

***

"Please forgive us, your majesty. We didn't realize that the empire's ruler is here in our humble establishment." The cafe manager apologizes for the third time while the knights capture all of the wizards who tried to swindle money from business owners.

"It's alright. It's supposed to be that way since both the princess and I decided to keep our identity hidden. The only reason why I decided to lift the spell was because of these criminals who used the palace hood name for their selfish desire. Know this- the palace has never sent anyone to collect money. That's what the lord should do. Keep up the good work in creating affordable buy delicious sweets. My daughter likes your ice cream." The manager smiled from ear to ear.

"Mom-" I smiled at Kiera before we walked out from the store and into the waiting carriage outside.

"I'm sorry for cutting our visit this short." Kiera shakes her head no.

"It's okay. The manager was in trouble, and the wizards didn't seem like they would stop using the royal family name for their gain. I understand, mom." Kiera sighed in relief.

"What will happen to those wizards? Will they be serving their time in one of our worse prisons?" I laughed.

"You sound like your father just now. Anyway- I can't deny that the wizards will receive severe punishment." Kiera hummed.

"Mom-" Kiera was surprised to see someone sitting next to me.

"When did you get in here?! The carriage is moving, and you just appeared out of thin air!" Vargan bowed his head and said,

"Please forgive me. I didn't mean to intrude, but I felt Kiera was in trouble. I-" Huh?

What does he mean by that?

"You felt? What do you mean you felt that Kiera was in trouble? Wait- please don't tell me that you." The child placed his hand on my mouth.

"Hey! How dare you touch my mother like that!" Kiera yelled. Vargan apologized multiple times as he kept his head low. Even though this boy is some of the mistresses of the underworld, he doesn't seem like someone who is part of the devil family.

"I'll be leaving now." Vargan was about to leave when I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Stay, my dear. I would like to know more about this feeling you mentioned. Is it the same as werewolves and vampires finding their mate?" Vargan blushed.

I can't believe that my daughter would end up with a demon.

"There's nothing to know, your highness." Of course, there is. Isn't it dangerous to ignore such feelings? It could lead to death. I should consult with the mistress about this and ask what I should do.

"Vargan- will you be attending sword class tomorrow? I want to introduce you to a new friend of mine." Vargan smiled.

"Of course. We shall meet tomorrow." Eh, what was that? That eye contact- is Kiera; no- that's impossible. Right? My child is still a baby in my eyes. Please- having feelings with someone at such age is-

"Mom? Are you okay?" I smiled.

"I'm fine."

A FEW DAYS LATER,

"This is rare- I never knew you would request to see me." The underworld mistress smiled at me as she suddenly appeared out of thin air. I asked the others to leave us alone.

"Today, sir Vargan had revealed something that made me curious and worried simultaneously. After all, this is about my child and yours." The mistress seems like she knows what I'm talking about.

"Ah- did that boy accidentally tell you about the mate thing? I told him to keep it to himself until it was time. But since it happened, there's no reason for us to hide it now, do we?" How can this woman be so calm after knowing that her child is attracted to a human?

Even I am worried that Kiera's future might be facing her early death!

"Rose, calm down. We can't exactly do anything to help them. The children have to help themselves. This mate thing, only Kiera and Vargan can solve. We, as parents, should support them. Vargan told me that if Kiera rejected him, he would accept it with an open heart. So let's wait until they're old enough to make that decision." I see.

"But I heard that werewolves and vampires had a hard time being away from their mate. Will that-" the mistress raises her hand.

"Those are inferior creatures that only have sex in their mind. Demons are a different kind of creatures that only cares about destruction and chaos. Please do not compare us to dogs and bats." Did they mistress just- oh my.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" I offered.

"Oh my- yes, please. It's been a while since I taste drinks from the human world." I pour the mistress a cup of tea before going back to my seat.

"Mistress, if you don't mind, I would like to have your time for just a little bit more." The mistress waves her hand while enjoying her cup of tea.

"Continue."

"I've been thinking about this war, and I have decided to end it with the death of the crown prince and his crony for once and for all. Gisele had found the second prince and his family under the crown prince's captivity, and he agreed to take Zora from his brother's palm. I-" the mistress raises her hand.

"Tell me your desire, Rose. It shouldn't be difficult for you to tell me what you want me to do." The mistress is right.

"I would like to use your best soldiers to infiltrate the royal castle of Zora and take down the monarch for once and for all." The mistress chuckled.

"She- isn't that easier to say? Gisele met me not long ago and asked for the same thing. I need some time to think and the benefit if I decide to help your country. What can you offer me? Gisele offered me her soul, which is valuable for the underworld to have. What about you?" The mistress asked.

"I can offer you my power stone," I revealed what was hidden under my skin, and the mistress was shocked.

"Interesting- how did you end up with a power stone embedded in your flesh, Rose?" The mistress asked.

"It's a long story."