32

Kiera's PoV

  "Surprise!" I smiled as I barged into the room where all my real friends were. The children from the alleys were surprised to see me. Some even ran towards me and asked if I was in trouble from our last meeting. It's good to know that the children don't seem to care about my identity, but I can't say the same about the others who are the same age as me.

  "You guys- are you mad at me?" None of them reply my question. I understand if they hate me for lying to them. We've been together for a few months before Gisele accidentally reveal who I am. But I don't want to ruin our friendship because I am a royal.

  "I'm sorry, you guys. It wasn't my intention to lie about my identity. It's just- I don't know how to explain it. Please forgive me." They seem surprised when I keep my head no.

  "A princess shouldn't keep her head low like that. That's not what we want from you. We want to know why didn't you tell us the truth." I guess I have to come clean now or never.

  "Because I was afraid that you all might hate me for being part of the royal family. I know how you guys hate the imperial family because of my mother, who killed your parents. I am the empress's daughter, and I don't want you guys to see me as someone you hate. That's why I pretend to be one of you guys. I may be the princess, but I had no real friends until I met you guys." I blushed. Damn it- why does it feel hot all of a sudden?

  "I- I just realized how we acted in front of you while talking about the empress and the prince. Please forgive me." My friends bow their heads to me. This is one reason why I don't wish to reveal my identity.

  "Friends shouldn't bow to each other." The alley kids looked up and smiled.

  "You need to be punished for lying to us."

  "Anna!" The others called out to Anna, who suddenly approached me.

  "What? She said we're friends. And friends act this way to one another. It would be best if you didn't lie to us in the first place. Suppose you explain to us your background. We would have accepted you." Anna smiled at me.

  "Oh, come on, Philip. Place your ego aside and accept Kiera's apology, will you? You were the ones who missed her the most." Philip blushed before he went out of the room.

  "Don't mind him, Kiera. That boy missed you, and he wants to see you, but we all know that's impossible." Philip does? But he acts like he doesn't, though.

  "I've been meaning to ask- how are you guys now that you're here? Did the people who take care of you treat you all well? If not, I can do something since I am close with the mistress of this establishment." My friends shake their heads.

  "The adults here have been treating us good. We were quite surprised by how others saw us. The courtesan here is good people too. Sometimes they joined us for our meals. They treat us all like one big family sometimes. We never felt so accepted in any place before."  I'm so glad they feel that way. Calypso wasn't joking when she said she would take care of my friends.

  "Will you stay for lunch, Kiera?" Anna asked.

  "Can I?" The rest nodded their head.

  "Sure!" I need to talk to Philip anyway.

  MOMENTS LATER,

  "Philip? Are you going to ignore me?" Philip continued to read the book he was holding while ignoring me.

  "Philip, I'm sorry. Please forgive me." Philip sighed, but he didn't look up from the book. I thought he liked me. Philip said he would protect me, but did he change his mind after knowing my identity? Will it change anything if I told him that my father was an illegitimate child?

  There were a few times when Philip came to my rescue when I was hanging out by the alley. Somehow I think he knows that I am a noble, but he decided to keep his thoughts to himself.

  "I always thought you're a noble, but I didn't expect you to be the princess of this empire. Can you imagine how surprised I was when the adults here told us that you would be the next empress? How can I compete with your other suitors from a better family background?" Huh? Philip finally talks to me, but I feel weird.

  Why do I feel anxious all of a sudden? 

  "Philip- I don't have any suitors, and I won't have any because I don't think marriage is something my parents can choose. If the empress and the prince say otherwise, I will throw a tantrum." Philip sighed.

  "Please don't do that. The empire is in the middle of a war, and you should try to do something to make sure everything is in order when they come back. Please don't throw a tantrum." I chuckled.

  "Do you forgive me?" Philip sighed.

  "Of course. I'm sorry for showing such a sighful side of myself. I didn't mean it." I waved my hands-off.

  "I understand. Anyway, how have you been? Did the adults here take care of the others well?" Philip nodded.

  "This place offers us three meals a day. How can anyone be unhappy about that? The courtesan who takes care of us even offer to help us find our parents if we let them. But it's impossible for mine since both of them are dead." When Philip turns eight years old, both of her parents died from an accident at the factory where they work.

  Philip lived with his uncle until his aunt decided to kick him out of the house and let him fend for himself. Luckily there was a kind old lady from the alleys that took care of him. But not long after that, the old day died from starvation. That was when Philip decided that he should take care of himself and work to get himself some food.

  That's how he met with the other children of the alley and how we met. Philip has always been the leader, and everyone listened to his words.

  "Why are you looking at me like that?" I smiled.

  "No reason. I am proud of you. That is all." Philip blushed.

  "Stop that." I smiled before teasing the boy about how red his face was. I want to continue watching him from the side because I'm curious what kind of things he will do in the future.

  Who knows, he might even be someone valuable in the future.

  LATER THAT DAY,

  After I got home from spending some time with my friends, I decided to meet Calypso, still working.

  "Come in." I heard her voice before turning the knob.

  "Princess? How was your trip?" Of course, she knows. The nanny probably told her of my whereabouts.

  "It was fun. Thank you for taking care of my friends." Calypso smiled, but her eyes never left the documents she was reading.

  "Did you receive any letter from my parents today?" Calypso nodded before she finally looked up at me.

  "They send you a letter as well. Here you go." I smiled before taking the letter from Calypso's hand and reading it.

  "Oh- my father got hurt, but he said it's not that bad." Normally others would be worried, but this is prince Kian we're talking about. My father is a strong knight that no one could beat. Well, except for dame Gisele. But it doesn't count since she is half-demon.

  "Is everything alright? I think this letter doesn't tell me their real situation right now." Calypso sighed.

  "Things are quite bad since Gisele needs some time to recuperate herself. The empress decided to take charge of the latest attack, and by now, they're probably getting into the enemy's territory as we speak. Pray, princess. Pray that everything is going to be alright." My mother is doing her best to protect everyone, but the people continue to look at her as the tyrant she was.

  My mother and father are risking their life while other nobles are host parties and have fun all the time. Why didn't they do something to help the empire? Why do they always blame my parents for everything bad that happened?

  "Kiera? Are you okay?" I shake my head no.

  "Is there any way to help my parents?" Calypso stood up from her seat and asked me to sit on the couch together.

  "I am worried for everyone's safety as well. But I know your parents know what to do in any situation. If you want to help your parents in their current situation, you must prepare yourself. While they're busy on the battlefield, nobles against their ruling will try to take over the crown. Of course, I will do my best to prevent that, but you need to prepare yourself for any situation. Do not show that you're afraid of them. Never give them that luxury." Calypso seems like a different person for some reason.

  "I can do that." Calypso smiled.

  "Perfect! Tomorrow we shall attend a tea party hosted by the empress dowager. Do your best in making friends with the other noble ladies. We need all the support we need. Your nanny will brief you about the things you should know." I see.

  That should be a piece of cake.

  MEANWHILE,

  "Greetings, your majesty." I bowed to the empress dowager as I arrived at her palace. I have never met my grandmother without my parents before. I'm scared.

  "Kiera- I thought you would avoid meeting me without your parents." I smiled and tried to hide how nervous I was.

  "And it's nice to see you, grand duchess Calypso." Calypso placed her hand on my shoulder before giving me a gentle squeeze.

  "I was invited, after all. It wouldn't be nice of me to decline the empress dowager offer to come to her tea party." And Calypso was right. My grandmother has gathered many of those against my mother's ideology.

  I don't have a good feeling about this. Calypso doesn't show what she felt.

  "It feels like your gathering enough group of people to run an empire. What are you trying to achieve here, empress dowager?" My grandmother smiled.

  "I don't think it's wise of us to talk about this in front of the princess." The conversation ended when my cousin, prince John came to greet our grandmother.

  "John- I'm so glad to see you. How have you been?" Prince John hugged our grandmother before giving me the eye.

  "Oh- I didn't expect to see Kiera here. How are you doing, cousin?" That was not sincere at all. He was trying to show everyone that he was the empress dowager's favorite.

  "I'm great, dear cousin. If you would excuse me, I have some friends to see." I was about to bow to the empress dowager when I heard John chuckle at me.

  "Friends? I didn't know you had friends. I thought you were only friends with homeless people like those kids from the alley. My father told me that it's understandable that you would be friends with people from such backgrounds. After all, your father is an illegitimate child." John laughed.

  "My father may be an illegitimate child, but at least my father didn't wish for the crown-like your father. The duke has been quite vocal about his desire to take over my mother's position. Aren't you embarrassed?" Calypso placed a hand on my shoulder. It's her way of telling me to stop getting worked up.

  "Children- they always quarrel for no reason." The empress dowager chuckled.

  "I agree. But, if you'll excuse me." Calypso smiled before leading us away from the empress dowager.

  "You need to control yourself from getting into his trap, princess. You almost played his game." I know I did, but John shouldn't say such things about my father!

  "I know, but I can't let him look down on my father while he's out at the battlefield. The duke didn't even go to war when he's supposed to! How is that fair to everyone?!" I know I shouldn't raise my voice like that, but everyone needs to know that my father is risking his life out there for everyone!

  "Calm down-" I sighed. I should listen to Calypso before things got out of hand.

  "I'm sorry." Calypso smiled.

  "Good. Let's continue with our mission today."