12

Gisele's PoV

"What are you waiting for? Start the duel." I said as both Kiera and Vargan seemed to be looking at each other before wondering at me if I was serious about the duel.

"Excuse me, how can I hit a girl? That's absurd." Vargan said while shaking his head no.

"Yea. I was told that this boy doesn't even know how to fight. I've been training for quite some time now. What if I hurt him?" I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Seriously? You two wish you learn how to wield a sword, but one is afraid of hitting a girl, and the other doesn't want to hit anyone who doesn't know how to hold a sword? Your enemies don't know that! They will do whatever in their power to win the battle. Now pick up any weapon of your choice and duel!" I commanded before crossing my hands against my chest.

"Well- what are you two waiting for?" Kiera sighed before she lunged towards Vargan with full force. Vargan noticed this, countered Kiera's attack with his sword, and managed to stop her.

At least he has a talent for this. It may not be that hard to teach him after all.

"Stop- that's enough. Follow me to the training room." I lead the two towards the training room used by the knights. And on our way there, we met a few members of the empress's council on their way to the main palace.

I wonder why they would be here instead of using the main path.

"Greetings, knight's commander. I see that you're here with the princess and her friend. I heard you're back to the palace. The empire is now in good hands." I know that these people are being sarcastic.

I am aware of how some nobles feel threatened now that I am back as the commander of the imperial knights. Because of me, they won't be able to use their position and take advantage of the empress like they often do.

"The prince mentioned the council's existence, but I didn't know that the empress would pick someone who doesn't even know how to take care of their territory. I suggest you learn how to judge yourself in front of a mirror before coming here and spout nonsensical words." I smiled before ushering the children towards the training room before I decided to teach these bastards a lesson or two.

"You ought to be polite, Gisele. Those are people with titles, and they have the power to chase me away from the palace. Do you want that to happen?" The princess asked.

"That's what I've been trying to do, but the empress insists that I should stay and win this war. It's better to live outside of the palace walls because the rules I have to obey here don't make sense at all." I clicked my tongue in annoyance as I opened the door towards the training room.

"Now that we're here, we shall learn how to do well in battle. Take a seat on the floor. It will be a long day for the three of us." I smiled as I watched how the two looked at me in disbelief.

"You realize we have the library if we want to learn something through books and lectures, right?" The princess looks at me as if I'm losing my mind.

"Yes, but I can exactly show you in the library, right? What if I destroy the library? How am I supposed to answer the empress? Now, shut up, take a seat and open your ears."

LATER THAT DAY,

"Captain!" Elfie, my sub commander, shouted as he ran towards me.

"Elfie, how many times do I have to tell you to call me commander now? What if the nobles heard what you just said?" Elfie apologized before telling me that he finally had some leads about the underground slave auction that the empress asked me to look into.

"How did you manage to find any leads?" Elfie smirk.

"I have my ways. Commander, I even managed to find the names of the nobles that frequently went to the auction. I'm sure the empress will like this information." Oh-

"Are you sure about this? Do you provide any proof together with your claim?" Elfie nodded.

"Commander, this is not my first mission. You should know me by now. I am a trustworthy person who does everything earnestly." I hummed.

"What are we waiting for? We need to meet the empress." Elfie nodded before he followed me towards the main palace. When we arrived, we saw the prince seemed to have a heated argument with someone.

"I wonder what's wrong. It's rare for the prince to show such expression on his face." I said while making my way towards the prince.

"You imbecile!" My eyes widened when the woman reached out for something that looked like a knife from her clothes and was about to stab the prince. I grabbed ahold of the woman's hand and took the knife away.

"This is why I suggested the empress build a place for old folks- because once you get older, your insanity level will decrease, which is why they are walking around with sharp objects!" I pulled the woman away from the prince before the prince told me to let her go.

"That's my aunt. And not all old folks act like her. What if the empress's mother heard what you said? That woman will ask for your beheading." Oh- is the empress mother around right now?

"Oh- did the empress mother come to visit?" The prince nodded.

"Are you here to see the empress?" I nodded.

"Rose is currently in the throne room. You may go and wait for your turn to speak with her." I smiled at Kian before telling Elfie to follow me to the throne room. Kian sighed and grabbed hold of his aunt before dragging her out from the palace. I hope everything is alright for that man.

"Commander- is it alright for me to be here? I don't think I should enter the throne room." I placed a finger on my lips and opened the door to the throne room. It seems Rose is talking to someone from her throne. We should wait by the corner until everyone had their turn.

"What a spectacular view." Elfie's eyes shine as he looks around the perfect decor throne room.

"How nice it would be for me to have all this when I was growing up. Say, Commander- do you wish to be born in a noble household too when growing up?" I shake my head no.

"My caretaker provided me with everything I ever wanted. I never wished for anything, even though it was hard to continue living. Because I know at the end of the day, even if we leave this world, hardship will follow." I've gone to the underworld and saw how difficult it was for souls to experience the afterlife.

Those who took their own life never receive redemption but continue to suffer at the hands of the devil. Now that I think about it, those who decided to take their own life was wishing for happiness in the end. They wish their suffering to end, but why didn't their prayer ever be heard by God?

I know it's blasphemy for me to think this way, but I am a demon's child. I can think whatever I want.

"Commander, the empress is calling for us." Oh-

"Let's go."

NORTH VILLAGE

I finally arrived at the village attacked by the neighboring kingdom soldiers a few days ago. From the reports, it seems the village had suffered great loss in terms of houses and buildings, but because the knights took action as soon as they heard about the attack, only a small amount of villagers were injured.

"Commander!" The captain in charge of the North garrison bow as he saw me I mounted my horse.

"At ease, captain." I look around the village and smile at the people who came to greet me.

"I've come as soon as I can after hearing what happened. I hope you weren't surprised to see a group of imperial knights suddenly appear through the portal." The captain smiled.

"We were quite surprised that the empress would do such things. As you can see, commander, the north is far from the capital's reach. And because of the constant snow, there's only so many the north could do to provide for the empire. And, understandably, the empress would ignore the people who live at the north." I see. The empress received such an urgent notice from the count who handled the north affairs. That is why she gave my mother her permission to use the portal.

"What about the count?" The captain looks at me with such a hurtful expression.

"Unfortunately, the count is dead. He was killed by the enemy when he was protecting his people. But the count never lost hope. He continues to send words and never leaves his place until everyone is safe and sound. The count even opened the door to his home so that the villagers could seek shelter. But, after his death, the count's daughter had taken full responsibility and is now the lord of the north." I see.

"Where is the countess?" I asked. The captain led me to the church, where I saw a woman in noble clothes kneeling on the floor, taking care of the little children hurt by the attack.

"Countess, the commander of the imperial knight, is here." The countess turns around before standing up and greeting me.

"It's an honor to meet the dragon slayer. I'm sorry for not being able to make proper preparation for your arrival. As you can see, we need all the help we can get." The countess seems restless.

"That's alright. The reason why I'm here is to provide you with the help you need. I've brought enough doctors and helpers from the capital. Is it alright if I may take a few minutes of your time?" I smiled at the countess. I am here for two reasons. One is to provide aid, and the other is to investigate why the enemies decided to attack the north.

There must be something that interests the king of the neighboring kingdom, and I tend to know.

"Of course." The countess led me outside of the church.

"Commander, I'm sorry if my words seem rude, but I hope this meeting is worth my time. As you can see, I have other important things to do. The villagers need my help and-" I decided to cut the countess off and said,

"Do you have any idea why the enemy decided to attack the north first?" The countess seems surprised.

"I- well, I don't know the full story of it, but my father, the former count, received a letter from the king of the neighboring kingdom. The king wishes to have my hand in marriage, but my father refuses because he is loyal to the empress." I see- well, I can't say the countess is not attractive, but no one can beat Calypso's beauty.

Hold on-

Why am I thinking of Calypso now of all time?

"Do you think it was that reason that the king decided to destroy the north?" The countess nodded.

"There's no other reason for the king to attack my father's territory. It was my fault that the villagers had to suffer like this. I don't know how to face the rest of the villagers now that this happened." The countess started to cry.

"Crying won't fix what had already happened. I suggest that you grow up and face the consequences of your action. You're the countess and the lord of this land now. Prepare yourself for what might happen in the future rather than regretting the past." The countess looks up to me with tears brimming in her eyes.

"You're right, Commander." Of course! I'm always right. I watched as the countess wiped her tears.

"I've brought supplies with me. The empress sends her deepest sympathy and will continue to be off aide if you ever need anything from the imperial family." I smiled.

"Commander! We had secured the corpse of the enemy soldier. You need to see this." Elfie called out before leading me to where the corpse was.

"Oh-" barbarians. Why would the neighboring kingdom be sending barbarians here? Did the barbarian king decide to help the enemy instead of abiding by the treaty?

"I don't understand this, commander. Why are they barbarians here? I thought the empire had signed a peace treaty with the barbarian king." I am wondering the reason myself. Rose isn't going to like this at all.

And we thought the barbarians would be on our side this time too. I clicked my tongue in annoyance before facing Elfie.

"Search the surrounding. I'm sure the barbarians aren't going far in this weather. Their camps must be nearby. The North is infamous for their night sky, please make use of the darkness for your advantage. We will return the favor." Elfie smirked.

"Yes, commander." Elfie was about to leave when he turned to face me.

"Do we have to tell the empress?" I smiled.

"I will do the honor of telling the empress of my plan. Don't worry about anything." Elfie nodded before he excused himself. I look down on the corpse and smile at the dead barbarian

"Interesting. It's been a while since I killed any barbarians. It will be fun."