25

Third Person PoV

"Rona, come here." The mistress of the underworld smiled as Rona arrived.

"To what I owe this pleasure, mistress?" The mistress chuckled before telling Rona to have a seat.

"Do you want something to drink?" Rona hummed her response.

"Well, since I am here- I would like to have one of your rejuvenation potions." The mistress looks at the demon from head to toe.

"Ah- I hurt myself before coming here. See- the poison is now running its course all over my body." Rona showed what was hidden under her shirt for the mistress to see.

"I see- then you need more than a rejuvenation potion." The mistress turned to her servant and asked for a particular potion that even Rona had never heard of before.

"I created a potion that could reconstruct any injury inside and out. It might take a lot of effort to withstand such a painful process, but hey, you'll feel better afterward." Rona raised an eyebrow before tasting the potion.

"Well- how do you feel? It seems you're not even affected by the process. The demons who helped me create this were screaming like a coward when they tried it." Rona chuckled.

"It does hurt, but it's not to the point that I need to scream it out. I do feel better, though. This potion works like a charm. How on earth did you create such potent potion?" The mistress chuckled.

"It's not me but Vargan." The mistress wanted to hide the creator's identity, but she knew she could trust Rona.

"I can trust you to keep this a secret, right? If Lazarus knows that Vargan is talented, I don't know how one would act towards a child." The mistress sighed when she thought about the ladies of the harem.

"Of course. Anyway, is there any reason for me to be here, mistress?" The mistress smiled.

"It has come to my attention that both Roze and Gisele wanted me to participate in the war between Goterra and Zora. What do you think of this, Rona?" Rona hummed.

"What did the two offer to the mistress?" The mistress laughed.

"Empress Rose offered me her power stone which is quite a charm. It has the immense power of light magic, but what can someone like me do with light magic? Gisele, on the other hand, offers her soul." Rona's eyes widen.

"That child- she didn't even consult me first. What will the mistress do? Will you agree to help them?" The mistress shrugged her shoulder.

"I'm actually in a bind, you see. If I helped them, then Lazarus would have to take part in the war in which innocent life would be his food. But if I don't, then both Rose and Gisele will be disappointed in me. I still need those two to go my bidding." Rona placed the empty potion bottle down and stared into the mistress's orbs.

"Do you have any orders for me?" The mistress smiled.

"As expected, you know what I want. Easy. Kill the crown prince and bring Zora to its knee. Instead of doing it for Rose and Gisele, why don't you do it for me instead? Inside Zora's secret dungeon, there is a man's corpse kept hidden inside a gold sarcophagus. Bring that corpse to me, and I will reward you handsomely." Rona scoffed.

"That's an easy task. Do you need me to bring back the crown prince as well?" The mistress shook her head no.

"I don't need that useless human in my collection. I want that corpse. Get it for me, and I'll reward you handsomely." Rona nodded.

"Alright. Is that all?" The mistress shook her head no.

"There are some alarming matters I would like to discuss as well. After meeting Rose, I decided to visit my old home, and the sights were devastating. The humans seem to be losing their grip on reality, and they have completely turned their back on their beliefs. Why is that?" Rona shrugged her shoulder.

"They're humans- why is it that weird for them to lose their belief? Besides, war is happening, and it's a given for them to think more about themselves than worrying about God. I thought it's normal for humans to change their minds about religion." The mistress shakes her head.

"That's not what I'm trying to say here. Perhaps it's just a feeling of mine. Maybe it's nothing at all." Rona looks at the mistress with a weird expression.

"I'm not sure what to expect from that, but hey, maybe something is happening, we don't know it. Is that all?" The mistress nodded.

Rona stood up from her seat and disappeared into thin air. The mistress enjoys her time while thinking of the things she saw while visiting the human world.

"Is something on your mind, mistress?" A servant asked the mistress.

"Yes- I couldn't help but think about those humans I met when I visited the human world. They're dying in the streets without any help. For someone who has the devil wrapped around her fingers, I couldn't watch how the little children tried to call their parents back from the dead. I couldn't imagine how they would act after knowing that fact." The servant sighed.

"Humans are inferior creatures who have long forgotten about their origin. Those lesser demons like to attach themselves with them- they made an easy target." The mistress hummed.

"Those lesser demons are a bunch of parasites that feed off humans. They may be harmless to us, but for humans, they're a bit too annoying to deal with. Because of them, we have to train exorcists. Even if we try to limit their existence, humans always find a way to create more of those annoying pests." The mistress pinched the bridge of her nose.

"That's because humans have all sorts of desires and pleasures. Even if we try to help them, humans and creatures alike will seek the devil for better results. There's even a case where a priest would use dark arts for their gain. How will that kind of person leads humans to the right path?" The mistress chuckled.

"It seems you're speaking from experience." The servant smiled.

"It's the truth." The mistress sighed.

"Oh, I know."

LATER THAT DAY,

"Oh my- Catherine, are you sure about this? I understand that you want to end this war immediately but killing the crown prince? Isn't that a hit too aggressive? Should we capture him and make him pay for what he did instead? Killing him will only give him an easy way out." Catherine wonders if the prince is joking around it not.

"The empress was the one who told me to find a way to enter Zora's castle. It's time for us to end this way, and there's no perfect time than this." Catherine smiled at the prince before facing Gisele and Rona.

"I never thought that we would go as far as recruiting demons into our ranks, but here we are. I guess I've seen enough at this life for sure." Rona smiled at Catherine after reading the plans she came up with.

"I would never compliment other humans for their work, but this- you're one cunning human, Catherine. The empress wasn't kidding when she said; you will come up with a plan to invade Zora royal castle." Catherine smiled.

"I hope that's a compliment and not your way of making fun of me. I have decided to live like I always wanted and not follow my spouse's wishes. I had enough of that." Catherine cleared her throat before she continued the briefing. Gisele listened tentatively while stealing glances at her mother. She wonders why does the demon include in this meeting.

After the meeting, Gisele grabbed hold of her mother's hand and dragged her into an empty room before closing the door behind her.

"What if your purpose?" Gisele asked her mother, who only smiled at her.

"I'm not playing games! Tell me, why are you here? I thought you said you would never interfere with how humans do their work. Did the mistress request your help? Is this what she meant when she helped me? You'll turn this chaos into your battleground! I knew it! I shouldn't have-" Rona covered Gisele's mouth with her hand with a sigh.

"You reminded me of your father just then, and it scared me out of me. Please do not treat your partner like that. I hated it, and I'm sure Calypso is too." Gisele closed her eyes as she tried to control her anger.

"Please do not change the subject! Tell me why you're here." Rona sighed before telling her daughter the purpose of her visit today.

"You mean the mistress doesn't accept my soul? Why?" Rona clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"Because if she took your soul, the other members of the devil's harem would take advantage of that! I don't know if you ever care about your mother, but I decided to be the mistress adopted daughter. Whether you like it or not, the mistress is your grandmother! Listen to her orders, and I believe your future will be fine. I'm doing everything to protect you, calypso, and the child growing in her belly. Instead of getting mad at me, why don't you start asking me if I am alright or have I eaten today!" Gisele looks down, avoiding looking at Rona's orbs.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were " Rona waved her hand.

"Enough. I don't need your pity. How is Calypso? She would feel a little burden by the demonic power, right?" Gisele nodded.

"She said it bearable. But I had asked the witch to stay with us since the pain would come and go as it please." Rona hummed.

"It might be better for her to turn into a demon. I believe the pain would be less." Gisele shakes her head no.

"I'm feeling guilty enough for making her go through this, and now you want me to tell her to turn to a demon! No- there's no way I dare to ask for such." Rona laughed.

"Have you ever asked what she wants? Who knows, she might want to be a demon. The perks of being one are vast after all." Gisele squinted her eyes.

"I never ask Calypso what she wants. All I did was assume what she wanted and do it. I've been a bitch all these times." Rona patted her daughter's shoulder with a smile.

"I blame the war. The empress needs to end this as soon as possible before my grandchild is born. If not, I have to take action that needs me to act like my old self. The only reason why I'm holding back is that I have a mission that I need to complete." Gisele looks at her mother curiously.

"What mission?"

"The mistress wants me to retrieve a corpse hidden under Zora's castle dungeon. I'm curious about that corpse's identity too. The mistress does not simply give one a mission without a purpose. That woman is always planning something under her sleeve. If not, she wouldn't be the one who controls the underworld. The devil is nothing but a puppet, and the mistress is the puppeteer." Rona smiled.

"If you okay your cards right, Gisele, you would be a puppet." Gisele doesn't understand what Rona is trying to say.

"Why would I be a puppet?" Rona chuckled.

"Calypso Arvel is a notorious master who holds any country in her fingertips with information alone. Have you ever wondered why everyone seems wary of Calypso? They respect a courtesan as if she's the queen herself. Everyone is afraid of her and how dangerous she can be with the information she has. That woman builds her kingdom with that sinister smiles of hers." Gisele laughed.

"You're joking! There's no way Calypso would do such things." Rona shrugged.

"Think about it, Gisele. The mother of your child might be more than a mere courtesan." Rona smiled.