14

Calypso's PoV

We all know something happens if the prince is away from the empress's side. While I was visiting the palace, everyone seemed to be wary of each other, and I couldn't help but think that those who work at the palace are now on alert for something unexpected.

My only guess is that the empress is trying to lure the rat out. And this is where I came into the picture. I don't know why I agreed to be the empress's eyes and ears, but I admit that the pay is overwhelming.

"Mistress, the preparation is ready." I smiled at my wife before telling Norman and his people to keep their eyes open. Anything can happen in a split second, and I don't want to miss it.

"How many of our targets are now inside the building?" The aide checked the list of names and said,

"All of the targets, mistress. I'm guessing the empress had given them such a hard time at work. Our girls are now doing their best in investigating and digging for more information from those drunkards." I smiled.

"Good- raise their pay for this month since they did more than they should." The aide nodded.

I wonder how Gisele is doing. The last time I heard about her was before she went to the North. And from what the empress could say is that she made the wife a show for the Northerners as she painted their snow-covered ground with the blood of their enemies.

I hope Gisele didn't get herself in trouble or, worse, hurt herself. I chuckled at the thought of me worrying about somebody else other than myself. Gisele is changing the way the empress views things in court, and now she's making me feel things that I ought to be feeling at all. That woman is a walking disaster.

"Mistress- someone is here to see you." Huh? I didn't even hear the door being open. How did Rona come into my office? I asked the aide to leave us alone before offering Rona a seat.

"So- how is everything?" Rona asked with a smile on her face.

"Everything seems to be going according to plan. Don't worry about my end, lady Rona. This is not my first time, after all." Rona chuckled.

"No- I was asking about your condition. Are you well? Do you suffer from morning sickness?" Excuse me?!

"Lady Rona, I don't think it's appropriate of you to ask me such things. As I said, I've taken a potion to stop myself from-" Rona raised her hand.

"Those potion doesn't work on demon blood. Even though Gisele is only half-demon but I can feel that it's trying to be the dominant one. Why do you think that girl doesn't even flinch whenever she takes someone else's life? Because deep down, she likes it. The adrenaline she felt whenever she had taken someone's life is close to ecstasy, and even opium doesn't give her the same feeling." Opium?

"But things happen, and who knows the potion works like a charm? Because it always works before." Rona sighed.

"Anyway, if you ever felt slight discomfort, come and see me. We need to make sure you're carrying my grandchildren or not because if you do, you need to see a doctor who specializes in demon babies. If you want to survive, that is. A human doesn't have the strength to carry a demon child. I know from what I've been seeing around me." Rona smiled before standing up from her seat.

I'm beginning to think that it's personal.

"Have a good day now. Oh- your people might have some corpses at the back of the building. They were quite rude to me, and I had no choice but to end their life. Even street thugs need a lesson or two. Don't you agree?" I see- I will inform Norman of this matter.

"I will handle the cleanup." Rona smiled.

"Heh- if only my daughter is smart enough to make you her life partner, I wouldn't be worried much about her well-being." Rona sighed before walking out of my office. It didn't take long for my aide to run back to the office and inform me of the corpses at the back. I explained everything and asked her to handle the cleanup.

"I see. As you wish, mistress."

"Could you bring me a cup of hot tea? I need it now." The aide nodded her head before excusing herself.

Should I be wary of my current situation? What was I thinking? Why did I let myself be indulged in pleasure? What if the potion doesn't work as it should? What if I ended up carrying a demon child in me? I heard no one survive the process.

"Mistress- here's your tea." I smiled at the aide.

"Thank you. Say- tonight; I'll be going back to the palace. I have some urgent matters to do. There's no need for you or Norman to follow me. Alright?" The aide nodded.

"When will you be back, mistress?"

"The day after tomorrow. That's the initial plan. I'm not sure if I'll be back sooner than expected." I smiled. The aide nodded.

"Of course, mistress. I'll keep everything in order until you're back." I smiled at the aide before enjoying my tea.

Perhaps the books in the royal library do have the answer I seek. Maybe they have books about demons and childbirth or anything related to my worries. I should have just asked Rona about it, but that's not a good idea.

I sighed while continuing to sip my tea.

"Mistress, are you in some sort of trouble?" Huh?

"No- there's a lot of things I need to think about. But don't worry. I know what I should do." I smiled at the aide. Before she could say anything, someone knocked on my door.

"Mistress, Lady Gisele wish to see you. She is now waiting outside." Gisele? I told Norman to bring Gisele inside and asked the rest to leave.

"Are you up for an adventure?" Gisele asked when the door closed behind her.

"What do you mean?" Gisele smirked before grabbing my hand.

"I want to show you something. Close your eyes. It's going to be a bumpy ride." Huh? I didn't get to say anything when I felt a sudden gush of wind hitting my body. What is going on?!

Are we- are we flying?!

LATER THAT DAY

I have never been appreciative when it comes to Mother Nature. I can't believe my life flashes across my eyes while holding Gisele's arm for my dear life.

"Please don't do that ever again! And when did you learn how to use flying spells?" Gisele smiled before showing me a ring.

"My mother gave me this ring. It follows whatever I told it to do." Gisele smiled before she grabbed my hand one more time. I cringed because I was scared she might use the spell again.

"Don't worry. This time, we will walk to our destination." Gisele smiled as she helped me through the uneven pathway. Where is this woman taking me? I hope it's not to my death.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"A place I stumble upon while I was on my way to the north."

"I'm not exactly wearing something that allows me to be in the middle of a forest. You should let me change before grabbing my hand and dragging me away from my office. I was working." Gisele chuckled. This woman ignores everything that I say.

"I asked Elfie to stand in for you. Don't worry about anything for a few hours. Your work can wait. What I'm about to show you will blow your mind." I sighed before giving in and just giving Gisele a chance.

Perhaps the thing she's about to show me is worth my time.

"Look- it's a pond." What a second- a pond? Gisele went all the trouble to show me a pond?!

"A pond? Are you serious right now?" Gisele sighed.

"It's not just any kind of pond. Remove your footwear and place your foot in the water. Trust me; it will help you feel at ease for no reason. It works like a charm!" Huh? The things I do to entertain this woman.

I remove my footwear and take a seat next to Gisele. Before putting my foot in the water, I grabbed his arm so that if something was pulling me inside, I could drag this woman with me.

"Don't worry. Nothing is going to harm you. Trust me." Gisele smiled at me. I hate to admit it, but her smile makes one at ease.

"Oh my-" I sighed in relief as I felt some energy coursing through me when I placed my foot in the water. This feeling reminds me of when I went to heal myself at the temple.

Hold on-

"We're not trespassing or anything, right? I doubt someone would just let others use this pond without payment." Gisele chuckled.

"The owner is one of my mother's friends. So don't worry about the payment. The man said we can use it whenever we feel like it." I see- well, that checks out. I can't believe that something like this pond was built in the middle of a forest.

What kind of person would-

"Gisele- we're not at a floating forest, right?" I asked the woman, who avoids looking at me.

"I can't say for sure. What do you think?" This bitch! Anyone who is friends with the demon is not human! How could this woman bring me to a place where creatures lurk?! What if something pulled me inside the water while I was enjoying myself?!

"Hey! You're overthinking. Nothing is going to happen. You don't have to say anything for me to know that you're worried about something. Your expression seems to be speaking for you." Gisele chuckled.

"Well, I'm sorry for value my life. Aren't you afraid that those creatures might aim at us? Those who stayed at any footing city or forest aren't as friendly as those creatures who live on land with us." Gisele laughed.

"I never knew the guild master would have such fear. I thought you were not afraid of anything. After all. You're Calypso Arvel." Even someone like me has something she is afraid of.

"You be lying if you said you have no fear." Gisele looks at me with weird looks.

"What? Are you saying you're not afraid of anything?" Gisele shrugged her shoulder.

"Calypso- I've met the devil in person. Do you think I would be scared of some creatures?" Of course- I forgot that I was talking with the dragon slayer.

The very dragon that her mother picks as a pet. I don't know how to treat this duo now that I think about it. They're too- out of the box for me to handle.

"What about vampires? I know they exist. Don't try to say otherwise." Gisele laughed.

"I know- I killed one before."

"Werewolves?"

"Werewolves are nothing but dogs who need to be disciplined. Although some did show their superiority before, it was that easy to kill them." I can't believe this. What is this woman? An assassin? Well- now that I put it that way-

"Giants?"

"They made good defense against attacks. Plus, they're docile and easy to work with." Is this woman right in the head?! Giants aren't docile!

"Goblins?!"

"Ohh, they're the sneakier one. It's hard for me to trap even one of the goblins, but if you know what these goblins desire, it's easier to read them." I- I am speechless.

"What about witches, warlocks? Wait, I know- how about a magic caster? Have you ever dealt with one before?" Gisele nodded.

"It's annoying to deal with dark witches. They tend to be as sneaky as goblins. It's easier to deal with warlocks, but they're such a hard opponent. A magic caster- they tend to do tricks and illusions, but they depend on mana. Once they're dried, it's easy to kill them off since they're humans." You know what- I rest my case.

"How many battles have you gone through to know exactly how to deal with them?" Gisele shrugged her shoulder.

"Too many to count. To survive such a harsh world, you need to be a few steps ahead of your enemies. And as a mercenary, it teaches me how to be prepared. I'm sure you had your fair share of hardship. I heard about your stories from Kian, but I know that's only half of it. You're not a simple woman, Calypso. You act as you do, but I know you're not. A courtesan doesn't become the master of an adventure guild for no good reason." Gisele turned to me.

"You've made the necessary connection with those who have power and make use of their influence to make it as your own. You're one smart woman." I smiled.

"Kian must have been telling you a fantasy story. I'm not as smart as you think I am." Gisele giggled.

"Of course." Oh- she decided not to be pressed about it. I'm glad she doesn't care because who knows what kind of people are watching us right now. I want to keep my secret a secret for a while.

"Here." Huh? Gisele suddenly gave me a pouch of gold.

"Your service aren't free, right?" Oh- Gisele is speaking my language now.

"You're damn right." I smiled.