13

THIRD-PERSON POV

  Gisele smiled as she lifted her sword.

  "Commander, we manage to locate the enemy camps. As per your orders, they were exactly near the frozen rivers. Those barbarians probably thought the river won't freeze in such weather." Elfie chuckled as she watched Gisele continue to sharpen her sword.

  "Oh really? Get the troops ready. We will attack their base as soon as everyone can get ready." Gisele lifted her sword once again and smiled at Elfie.

  "Commander, do you think the knights will be able to survive such harsh weather?" Gisele smirked.

  "What do you mean? I'm sure nothing can compare to how they've been training under my instruction. It's just a snowstorm. They will manage." Gisele turned around before swinging her sword to a nearby tree branch.

  "My weapon is ready." Gisele chuckled.

  "Commander- I don't think it's wise of you and your troops to attack the enemy's camp. You should stay here and guard the village." Gisele smiled before patting the countess's cheek.

  "Oh- don't worry. I'll leave some of my knights to guard the village." the countess couldn't say anything back since Gisele seemed determined to continue with the original plan.

  "Now- it's time for us to return the favor tenfold."

  MEANWHILE ON THE BATTLEFIELD

  "Commander!" Elfie screamed as he ran towards Gisele with his sword raised. Elfie manages to stop the barbarian's attack and push him back.

  "Die!" The barbarian screamed as he swung his ax, but Gisele lunged forward and pierced his neck with his sword.

  "That was easy. How are you holding up, Elfie? Will you be able to continue?" Elfie nodded her head before wiping the blood off his face.

  "Commander! I accidentally swallow some of the barbarian's blood." Elfie look at Gisele with worried looks. Gisele laughed.

  "Ah- don't worry about it. I'm sure you won't mutate into something grotesque." Gisele looked around the camps and smiled at the sight.

  "It was easy for us to overpower them since they haven't eaten anything decent for the last few days. It seems their king had completely abandoned them too. It is explained by how some of them were willing to die rather than fight back. Search the camps. Find out everything that was left behind." Elfie nodded as he went to complete the task.

  Gisele decided to look at the surroundings and sighed when she noticed that her armor was now drenched with blood.

  "Commander, we found corpses that don't belong to the barbarians. And they were half-eaten." Gisele didn't even flinch when she heard what had happened.

  "So these barbarians had decided to be a cannibal since they wouldn't find any food in the forest, huh. Well, I can't say that I am surprised. I've seen far worse scenarios while traveling as a mercenary." Gisele followed the knight towards a cave and witnessed the dreadful image left by the barbarians.

  "Based on the pile of clothes that were left behind, the corpses belong to the villagers. The barbarian's manage to kidnap some of the villagers and make them into their-" Gisele raises her hand.

  "It's best to give them a proper burial and then leave them here in the cave. We should at least give them the respect they deserved." The knights nodded before they did as told. Gisele excused herself and continued to search the surrounding for anything.

  "What should we do with the barbarians' corpses, Commander?" Gisele hummed when Elfie came back.

  "What more can we do? Burn them crisp. It's the least we could do since they decided to attack their empire even though their king had signed the treaty. But do leave their heads unattached. We should be polite and return them to their king. What do you think of that, Elfie?" Elfie smirks before nodding their head.