26

Gisele's PoV

"Is this your first time visiting the Western Kingdom?" Catherine asked. I nodded my head as we rode through the gates with our horses.

"Why do we have to attend the king's wedding when we could use the time to prepare ourselves to fight for the empire's survival? And why does the king has the audacity to marry again when we're in the middle of war?!" I clicked my tongue in annoyance while Catherine found my expression funny.

"Gisele, since at the academy until today, you have never learned how to conceal your expression good enough. Why don't you try and smile while cursing at someone? For example-" I watched as Catherine gave me one of her brightest smiles ever.

"I hate my husband. I hope that man dies in the cruelest way possible. God, I want to rip his heart off his chest." Oh my- how can this woman keep a smile like that while talking shot about her husband.

"How long does it take for the court to give their verdict on your marriage? I'm sure the Empress had provided the court with enough evidence to finalize your divorce." Catherine sighed.

"It's not that simple. Even though the court had seen my injuries and scars, they needed to investigate the duke. Right now, I am at the mercy of the empress. That's the only reason the duke didn't do anything to stop me from getting this divorce. Why do you think the empress asked you to accompany me to this wedding? It's because she knows that the duke will be here." In other words, I have to be her guard dog.

"What should I do to the duke if he decided to come closer?" Catherine shrugged her shoulder.

"Do whatever you want with him; don't kill him. My child still needs the inheritance." Catherine laughed.

"Alright. I'll do what I kan." We continue our journey towards the western royal palace. On our way, I couldn't help but notice how carefree and happy everyone looked. The knights gave even beggars food on this joyous day. The king surely did everything he could to commemorate this day to welcome the king's consort.

"Catherine- why does the queen let the king take another consort as the wife? Do you know any story?" Catherine shrugged her shoulder.

"Who knows- perhaps the king wanted to add more ladies into his harem." I hummed.

"But that doesn't mean the king has to marry the consort. He has a queen, and taking a new wife means the queen has to share her power, am I right?" Catherine nodded.

"That's why I'm curious- why did the queen let the king take another wife?" Catherine shrugged her shoulder.

"If you're that curious, why don't you ask the queen or the king himself? They have the answer you seek after all." That's a good idea.

A FEW HOURS LATER,

After the king and his bride said their vows, Catherine and I went to see the queen congratulate her for this joyous day. We expected the queen to be hostile, but instead, she seemed happy to see the guests coming to the wedding.

"Dame Gisele? You've been staring at me for quite some time now. Are you that curious about this wedding?" I nodded. As expected from the queen of the Western kingdom, she's too observant.

"It's time for the king of the Western Kingdom to have his heir. I was told by the physicians that I am incapable of having his child. Whether I like it or not, I'm married to a king, and this kingdom needs a decent future heir. I've chosen the best candidate from all the ladies in the harem. Besides, she even went through all sort of medical examination, and she will be the perfect queen." Catherine and I look at each other.

"Does that mean you'll dethrone yourself and give the crown to the new wife?" The queen nodded.

"That is if the new wife could give birth to the heir. In the meantime, I will teach her how to rule a kingdom alongside the king." Catherine chuckled.

"What does the other harem ladies say about this? I'm sure they have their own opinions." The queen smiled.

"Even if they tried to do anything in their power to have the crown, they're not fit to be the queen. Those other ladies lacked the skills and poise of a queen. Anyway, I'm surprised you're here, Catherine. Aren't you afraid the duke would come and take you back to the dukedom? I heard what happened and-" the queen seems to lost her train of thought before pointing at someone behind us.

It's the duke, Catherine's husband.

"I spoke too soon, and now he's on his way here." I grabbed the handle of my sword as the duke approached us.

"Honey- I've missed you." The duke tried to kiss his wife, but Catherine took a step back.

"Darling- why are you acting this way? I understand that these days it seems our relationship is taking its toll, but it doesn't mean I don't love you and our daughter. Please come home. I'm sorry for what I did to you, and I admit that I've been a bastard to you and our child. I need you, Catherine." Catherine doesn't seem a bit fazed with what is going on.

"Are you done? It would be best if you worked on your acting since I can sense how fake it is. You only need me back because now you know I am acquainted with the empress. I thought you would know that I was in the same academy as the empress, the prince, and the dame. Has your business plummeted to its death already? I'm sure your family has been dealing with many mishaps since I stepped out from your dukedom." Wow, Catherine. Aren't you a bit too hard on him?

"Catherine, don't go there. You know this is all your fault! Come with me! You're nothing without me! Your parents decided on this marriage! You should be grateful that I even want to marry a powerless daughter of a count like you! The only reason why you're a duchess now is because of me!" Wow- so that's his true colors? It doesn't take long for him to act likes himself.

"Stay away from me- your breath stinks. I don't even know how I could stand being with you before." The duke's expression turns red. Before his hand could touch a single strand of Catherine's hair, I decided to grab his neck and push him down as hard as possible.

"And stay down." The duke grabbed my hand with him, but I didn't feel anything. Man- how weak can you be?

LATER THAT DAY,

"Catherine, the duke will probably hire someone to hurt us on our way back to the capital. Should I call for backup? Those lesser demons should probably be up to par with any assassins he might hire." I suggested.

"There's no need for that. The empress prepared us with several knights. If the duke decided to take action, the knights would protect us." I see. The empress knows the duke too well at this point.

"Now that the wedding is over, we should proceed with the real reason why we're here." Catherine turned her attention to the king and queen of the Western Kingdom.

"The empress had fulfilled her part successfully. It's time for the king to return the favor by giving us the piece of information we agreed upon." The king nodded.

"Of course- I am a man of my words." The king gives the queen a nod before she goes to a drawer, takes out something that looks like a document, and gives it to Catherine.

"Now- isn't that easy? You shouldn't show such hostility knowing that you couldn't suppress the bandits and monsters lurking in your territory on your own. The only reason you get to keep your title as the king is that the empress is merciful." The king kept his head low.

"I've been meaning to ask- did the duke threaten you so that he could be here today?" The king nodded again.

"The duke knows one of the ladies in my harem. The man threatened to kill the lady- that's why I have no choice but to let him be here. I'm sorry, lady Catherine." Catherine waved his hands.

"Perhaps it's time for you to stop taking in any ladies you think is beautiful into your harem. Aren't you afraid that your lust may be the reason for your death?" The king didn't say anything.

"I may be rude, but it's the truths that this continues; the Western Kingdom will be done for. Please remember that the empress doesn't take care of a deadweight." The king nodded.

"I'll keep that in mind, milady."

We decided to spend a night here in the Western Kingdom. I had just gotten out from the showers when I saw Catherine changing her clothes.

"Your scars seem too deep for a count's daughter. What did the duke do to you?" Catherine looks at herself in the mirror with a smile.

"This? The duke was drunk at the time, and he swung his sword at me. I don't know how did I survive that night." I see. Catherine seems to be staring at me.

"I heard rumors about you, but I didn't know it was real." I smiled.

"The dragon did me dirty. Anyway, you should go have your shower now before it's too late." Catherine nodded as she went into the bathroom. I didn't expect the king to prepare us a place to spend the night.

I thought he would chase us out after what Catherine did to him. How could that woman talk to the king like that and survive? I went to the windows to admire the view. It is beautiful and mind-blowing, though.

The Western Kingdom is famous for its diamond mine. It's no wonder that most people work for the mine and factories that process the diamond. This kingdom is also one of the biggest providers of jewels in the empire. How did Rose manage to convince the king to sign the treaty?

The Westerner will always continue to survive even without the empire's power. So why did the king decide to be part of the empire? Was it for the benefit? Or did the empress threaten him?

Hmm- is something trying to enter the room by force? Should I hide and see who it is? I decided to hide behind a column and waited for the intruder to reveal himself. I was not surprised that the duke got himself inside the room.

What is he trying to do here? How could someone like the duke acts like a lunatic just because a woman decided to take action for herself?

"Catherine! Open the door!" The duke is banging on the door as he tries to force himself into the bathroom.

Should I do something? But I want to know what he wants- what should I do?

"What is wrong with you!" Catherine pushed the door open and hit the duke with the door as hard as possible.

"Catherine! You've been doing many things that a wife shouldn't do! Have you no shake?! Aren't you a bit guilty for what you've done to me? People out there think I'm a joke! Are you happy now?!" Catherine scoffed.

"Good! Because I want people out there to know how despicable you are!" The duke raised his hand to hit his wife, but he didn't. At least he has some self-restrained now that everyone knows he's an abuser.

"Catherine- don't force me to use my power against you. Did you think the empress could help you? She's nothing but a bitch who spread her legs for the prince! We all know the prince does everything in her stead. She's just sitting there and acting as if she's the one who rules the empire. We all know a woman can't do anything without a man. Catherine, come back and live your life as a duchess. You're nothing without me." That- pisses me off. I grabbed a vase near me before smashing it on the duke's head.

Catherine looks at me with horror in her eyes.

"What? You said not to kill him."

"He's bleeding!" I waved my hand.

"Don't worry. He's alive."