29

Calypso's PoV

"Master- princess Constance and her husband, duke Jean-Paul is here. Do you want me to bring them here, or do you want them to wait at the lounge?" Rose was right when she said her sister and the duke would come after the news broke out that a courtesan was in charge of the state affairs while the empress and the prince were away.

That damn empress- why did she put me in such a situation? Yesterday it was the dowager empress and now the princess and her husband? This meeting will not end well.

"Bring them inside." The maid nodded before opening the door and letting the princess and the duke inside. The princess smiled but not her husband.

"Calypso Arvel, I presume?" I stood up from my seat and how to the princess and her husband.

"Speaking. To what I owe this pleasure." The princess was about to say something when the duke stepped forward and raised his hand.

"Let me do all the talking." The duke said before clearing his throat.

"It's not your place to sit on the empress's chair. Leave now before I ordered the knights to chase you out. You're not even part of the royal family! What gives you the authority to act as the empress proxy." Just as I thought, they're here to condemn me.

Rose- I hope my reward will be as big as the responsibility you've placed on me while you're not here.

"The empress herself placed me as her proxy while she's going to war. By the way, my lord- why are you here instead of leading your knights on the battlefield? Don't tell me you asked your wife to talk to the empress and let you stay instead. That is not fair." The duke was taken aback by my words.

I can see how the princess hides her smile while nodding her head. I see- so it wasn't the princess who wanted to be here but the duke. Does he think he has the power now that the empress is not here? Should I tell the duke about the little gift Rose bestow upon me before she left?

"What's going on?" Kiera suddenly appeared by the door.

"Aunty, uncle? Are you here to yell at lady Calypso as well? Milady, it's time to reveal what my mother had given you before she left. Yesterday it was my grandmother and now my aunt? Are you enjoying this?" I need to talk to this little girl.

"Of course! Why would I enjoy getting yelled at? It will be rude of me not to listen to their reason for coming here, right? I was just a good host." Kiera sighed. My God- she does look like Rose when the princess acts like that.

"The empress of Goterra has bestowed lady Calypso, a title of grand duchess. In other words, she has right to be sitting on my mother's seat as her proxy." Even though it's just a temporary title, hey, I can enjoy the perks of it while it lasts.

"Grand duchess?! That's absurd! The last grand duchess is dead! The empress can't simply bestow anyone such title without the elders' approval, and I am one of the elders! Little kids should stay away. Go play hide and seek or something!" Oh- Kiera seems offended.

"Guards! Drag the duke away!" The guards outside burst into the room after the princess yelled.

"Don't you touch me! I am a duke! How dare you! Release me at once!" Kiera clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"Drag him away now!" The princess ordered.

"How are you, aunty? I hope you've been well." Princess Constance suddenly laughed before hugging her niece.

"Kiera, I can't believe as days go by, you grew up to be just like your mother when she was just a princess." I don't know if that's a good thing, though.

"It's funny because that's what grandmother said about me." I smiled as the two continued to catch up.

"Anyway, there's a reason why I'm here. But first, I do want to apologize. My husband doesn't know how to act like his title sometimes." I waved my hands as the princess apologized.

"Please have a seat." I offered. Kiera went to the couch and left the two of us be.

"Have you heard about the things that happened among the nobles?" I nodded.

"I see. And what is your plan? I'm sure you're not the type to stay idle while rumors about you are circulating. The nobles believe that the prince is actually in charge of this empire. Not only that, the nobles thought that my sister is pretty decoration while the prince has the final say." Oh my- if only those people know the truth.

"Not only that, the only reason you're sitting on the empress's throne is that the prince favors you. And those people said that the child you're carrying belongs to the prince." Kiera gasped.

"It's not true, and you know it, Kiera." Kiera smiled.

"I know. It's just I wonder how it feels to be surprised. Carry on." Kiera continued to read the book she was reading.

"Anyway- I don't know what is going on, but I know Kian is not the type to cheat on my sister. Who are you, Calypso Arvel?" So that's the reason why princess Constance is here? Does she want to know who I am?

"I am a courtesan who owns House of Beauty. I have no other identity for anyone to be wary of. The empress favors me because of Gisele. Nothing more, nothing less." Princess Constance leans back to her seat.

"I understand your reason to hide the truth from me. But please, heed my warnings. There are many people out there that will act like my husband. Please be careful—also, congratulation. I never thought that Gisele would take a potion to make herself turn-" I placed a finger on my lips since Kiera is underage.

"Oh my- I almost say something I'm not supposed to." Constance chuckled.

THE NEXT DAY,

Today has been productive. After dealing with several other matters of the state, I decided to retire for the night.

"Lady Calypso, are you sure you want to stay in Gisele's room? We can prepare a better and more comfortable room for you." I smiled at the head maid.

"It's okay. I want to spend my night surrounded by Gisele's scent." I smiled before walking into the room, which is not that bad. This room reminded me of my childhood. I grew up in such an environment where my mother had to work hard so that we could survive the day.

My only regret is that I didn't get to share my wealth with my mother.

"Milady, are you alright?" I smiled.

"Is it alright for me to have my dinner here? I want to enjoy the view from this balcony." The head maid nodded.

"Of course, milady." The head maid bowed before excusing herself. How long has it been since I get to relax like this? The view is just magnificent. While enjoying the view, I couldn't help but think about Gisele and her well-being.

It's been almost a week, and I haven't heard anything from her.

"Milady, your dinner is ready." I smiled T the head maid as she placed my food on the table.

"Why don't you join me?" At first, the head maid wanted to decline, but she didn't have the heart to say no.

"Thank you for the invitation, milady." I smiled.

"I feel guilty for the servants who served me today. I know I can be quite a demanding person, and I'm sure the servant is probably cursing at me as we speak." I chuckled. The head maid doesn't seem to get the joke.

"We servants only have one goal in mind, and that is to make our master happy. As long as you're happy, we will do whatever our master asks us to. Even if we have to sacrifice our own life for it." Isn't that a bit too extreme?

"Why would anyone be throwing their life because of someone else? It would be best if you lived for yourself and yourself alone. If you continue to follow orders like this, your future children will be in trouble. Because children follow what their parents do." And I can be the judge of that. After all, I took over the House of Beauty the moment my mother left this world.

"When I was little, I used to do whatever my mother would do. But my most treasured memory of her is when we spend a moment together before she goes to work every day. I would sit next to my mother and follow whatever my mother would do as she gets ready for work." The head maid smiled.

"I've met the lady's mother once before, and she is too kind for this world. I was only a maid for a noble house at the time, and living in the capital was hard. I was hungry, and the lady's mother suddenly offered me a helping hand. We share stories while having meat buns. Who would have thought that I would have the honor to meet the daughter of a woman who helped me before." I see- so the head maid met my mother before.

"Milady, something is flying coming this way." The head maid pointed at something in the sky. What the hell is that? And why is it flying towards us?!

"Oh- hold on. I recognize the creature." The head maid stood up from her seat and took something from around the creature's neck.

"This baby dragon belongs to the empress, and it acts as a carrier from time to time. There's a letter for you, milady." A letter? Is it from Gisele? I took the letter and opened it. My heart dropped as I read the letter.

"Gisele was badly injured after she saved the prince and took a direct hit of the dragon's fire. The good news is, even after the fire burned her, Gisele still managed to kill the dragon." Gisele- you idiot. She's lucky to have Rona with her. If not, I don't know what will happen.

"Milady, are you alright?" I nodded my head.

"It's inevitable that someone would get hurt while protecting their proud country." if only I'm not in this condition, I would have taken a horse and gone to the war camp myself.

"Everything will be alright, milady. This is dame Gisele we're talking about. I'm sure she protects herself well with the dragon armor." The head maid tries to assure me.

"Thank you-" I smiled.

"Don't mention it. Milady, the baby dragon seems to be waiting for your reply. Should I take some pen and paper?" I nodded. As I wait for the head maid, I stare at the dragon who stays at the balcony railing, looking at nothing in particular.

"I wonder how did Rose manage to take a dragon." I asked no one in particular.

"Here you go, milady." I thank the head maid before writing my reply. I included about the empress's family who came to visit me. I'm sure Rose will be pissed. After I'm done, I asked the head maid to wrapped it around the dragon's neck.

"Before coming to the palace, there's only so much I could do. I was busy dealing with my businesses which made others envy of me and tried to force themselves into me. Why can't true love truly exist? Why does it have to exist in fairytale in which the villain wins it all?" The head maid seems confused.

"I'm sorry- I was just rambling about something." I smiled at the head maid.

"That's alright, milady. I am here for you." The head maid smiled back.