(161) Addition to the Family - Creativitwins and DotxLarry

Start from the beginning

Dot perked up at the noise and ran to her sons. "Oh kiddos! I didn't hear you come in, Larry must've put Steven Universe too loud. Speaking of which - Larry?" The new man smiled in Remus' direction and stood up hearing his name, walking towards the two boys as Dot continued untying Roman's shoes. The man smiled softly at Remus and then Roman, bringing out a hand for Remus to shake.

"It's great to finally meet you, you must be Remus? I'm Larry." The man had the kind of voice you'd associate with Santa - low and joyful. And Roman seemed to immediately warm up to this guy.

"Are you our new Dad?"

Larry seemed surprised by that question but laughed it off, looking back to Dot for a second as if to check he could answer for himself. Dot give a quiet but happy nod. "I'm hoping to be! Of course there's no rush, but if you guys want a father figure I'd be happy to go into the role."

Roman was overjoyed at that news, immediately taking up Dot's offer to show Larry his Disney dress-up set. On the other hand Remus was scared still - his Mom actually wanted Roman to have a different father figure. Remus wasn't a good enough father figure.

"Remus! Do you want to come join us?" Dot chirped, spotting the petrified look on his eldest son's face but choosing to ignore it for now. She knew Remus would do what's best for his brother. But the teen seemed to ignore his mother and just watched Larry help Roman carry his dress-up box. The look in Remus' eyes hurt Dot as much as when her first partner left - Dot would do anything to rub that expression away.

"I've got some homework to do actually... I'll cook dinner." Remus ran upstairs as quickly as he appeared in the house, and went to his room. Dot decided to give her son some space to process this big news.

Instead of doing homework Remus shut his door and sat on his bed, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. Why did his mom want a boyfriend now? And she wanted Roman to have a father figure? Remus was good enough! Remus was there for Roman's every moment the last eight years and he was so easily thrown away for a guy dressed like Dory from Finding Nemo.

So Remus sat in a ball and hugged his legs, his mind going into a negative place over his self-worth and ability to be a good big brother. He didn't need a Dad. 

But Remus knew he needed to gather his thoughts before he did something stupid. He put his earphones in and listened to white noise, pretending he was somewhere other than his bedroom with a scary stranger downstairs. Instead he was at the beach with his brother and mother - and they were all making sandcastles together. There was no-one to disturb Remus and his family.

Until there was a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?" The stranger's jolly voice spoke through the door. He supposed out of politeness he should invite the man in - even though he just wanted a beach holiday with his family. "Don't feel like you have to invite me right now. I just want to show you something I got for you."

Why would Larry get Remus something? Well, probably some kind of manipulation tactic so he could be a stepfather even quicker and get hitched to Remus and Roman's mom. "Sure, come in."

Larry opened the door cautiously and smiled widely, hiding something behind his back with one hand, as he walked into the room and looked around. Remus liked his all black room, he had green furnishings but he hoped Larry wouldn't force him to change that. Other teenagers had dads like that. But Larry seemed happy just snooping around in silence. "So... why are you here rather than entertaining my little brother?"

Like a child Larry's grin became chaotic, and he sat on the opposite side of Remus' bed and brought out the other arm that was hidden. And in his hand was a small neon green fidget spinner. "I got you one of these fidgety-things since Dot told me you loved the colour green. They're the in-thing now right?" Wow, this guy was already a Dad. Cringey and having no idea how time worked.

"They were cool in 2017. You're about half a decade too late." Remus couldn't help but laugh as Larry watched the fidget spinner twirl, staring at it like it was a miracle worker and he was a four year old child. "I do think it's still cool though."

Larry eventually placed the fidget spinner into Remus' hands without a word, then just smiled softly at him again. Remus just stared at the spinning toy. And there was silence.

"I appreciate... It'll take some time for you to get used to me." Larry mumbled, speaking without his jolly tone and instead seriously for a second. "I don't expect us to be buddies straight away. If you want to view me as just a free babysitter for your little brother or a free Uber to places I'm perfectly fine with that." Remus dared to look up at that point, and seeing Larry's caring smile made him smile too. Maybe Larry wasn't too bad for Remus' family.

"Cheers." Remus gave the fidget spinner another quick spin as Larry stood up, hearing Roman's scream that he was getting hungry and wanted Crofters. "Can I still cook dinner?"

"Of course! I'm super bad in the kitchen, maybe you can teach me a little bit?" Remus laughed a little more at that, spinning his new toy again and placing it in his pocket. He could teach his mom's new boyfriend a few new tricks, he supposed, so he nodded and made his way to the kitchen to try and bond with this nice man Remus' mom was dating.