23~ State

It's been almost three weeks since Will left. The boys made it to state in football. We were celebrating for days when we won the last game.

Carter is back to playing at almost full  time. Dad is still worried it's too soon. Carter worked his ass off to be ready and he's as ready as ever.

The state championships are the day before Will's birthday. I haven't talked much to him since the fight. We talked at least twice since then. Everyone is worried, but I try to keep it hidden.

"We only have a few hours before kick off. Don't get nervous on me now" I told Carter. He was practically bouncing off the walls.

They had to be back at the field in fifteen minutes.

"I'm not nervous" he assured me.

"Listen if your leg hurts ever so slightly, I don't care how much, tell Dad to pull you. Don't be a stubborn ass" I warned him strictly.

"What like you?" He joked.

I laughed and shoved him with my shoulder. "You are an ass Carter Maverick"

"You love me Cora Maeve"

"That I do" I admitted and wrapped my arms around my brother. "Good luck."

I heard a loud gasp from behind us. We turned around to see Tommy staring at us with his mouth agape.

"Guys! They're hugging and not strangling each other! It's a miracle!" Tommy yelled.

The whole team essentially cheered for us and Dad just shook his head laughing. I rolled my eyes at the team.

We walked to the gate where they left and the families waited for another two hours to get in.

"Okay you guys listen up!" I yelled at the whole team. They shut up real quick and listened to me. "This is the last game of the season. Seniors, this is the last game of high school football you'll ever play. Don't stop fighting until that last buzzer goes off. Don't stop playing your game until it is over. Don't make this a game you'll regret because you didn't push yourself to your full potential."

I want to see you out there playing as a team, as a family. I want to see you play like you never played before.  Most importantly I want to see you have fun. Make this the funnest damn game you've ever played. I know my dad is already proud of you, but I won't be proud of you until you put your heart out on that field."

I want you to look around at every one around you. Look at your teammates, your brothers. These boys have been there for you since day one. These boys are the ones that are going to be with you to the end. Do this for them, for your teammates, your brothers, and the seniors that don't get this chance again. Do it for them."

The boys erupted in cheers. They were pretty much deafening. I saw my dad wipe tears from his eyes when he thought no one was watching.

I hugged my brother again. Then Tommy and Nick. Then Logan.

"That was the best damn pep talk I think I ever heard." Logan whispered in my ear.

"Thank you" I whispered back and squeezed his neck. "Now you go out there and win that damn game"

"Only for you" he winked and walked away.

Dad wrapped me in his arms. "That was a good speech Coco. Thank you, but now I don't know what I'm going to say to them." He joked though I'm sure he was being serious.

"Thanks Daddy." I kissed his cheek. "Now go coach our boys" I pushed him on his way.

I met up with Remi, Mom, and Sky. We waited in line for another two hours before they let us in.