30~ Start of Something New...Or Old

"Hey, do you want to come to Nick's New Year's party in a couple of days?" I asked Chantel as I cleaned a table near the cash register.

She shrugged. "I don't know. My mom is out of town and I haven't seen Bryant in almost a week. I don't trust him with Beck right now anyways."

"Mom and Dad can keep him. They're already having Jake and his parents over."

"I don't know Cor. I feel bad for just dumping him on your parents all the time"

I took the trays from the table into the kitchen. "You're not dumping him on them. They enjoy watching Beck and Sky play together. They seriously don't mind it. They understand that you're young and you want to have some fun." I told her.

"Are you sure?" she asked again.

I nodded. "Chan, I'm sure. My parents love Beck." I walked up to the cash register with her.

She looked at my hand. "Cute ring did you get it for Christmas?" She asked me. It took her a second to realize it was on my ring finger. "Wait a second. Who's that from?" She gasped.

"It's from..." I was cut off by the bell on the door ringing. In walked Will with his cousin from Karla's baby shower, Liam. "Speak of the devil," I whispered and put on a smile.

"Ay Will's girl. No wonder you begged me to come here" he looked over at Will.

I could've sworn I saw Will's cheeks turn a little red. "Shut up man" he pushed Liam playfully. "Hi Cora" he looked at me.

"Hi Will" I gave him a soft smile.

A throat cleared, bringing the two of us out of our trance-like state.

"Anyway, we'd like two number twos, hold the onions and two number ones everything on it. Four drinks and I think we're good to go." Liam ordered while Chan punched it in the register.

"$26.47, here or to-go?" She asked him.

"To go" he answered and handed her a card.

She ran the card and handed it back with a receipt. "It will be ready soon. I'll call it out when it's ready." She smiled and they walked away.

"Okay as you were saying. Will have you the promise ring. Does that mean you're back together?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No, we're not. I don't know why he gave me the ring. I think he already got it and didn't want to let a present go to waste. It didn't mean anything."

"It means something, Cora. He gave it to you. It has to mean something."

"Right now we're just friends. Nothing more nothing less. There's just a lot of history behind us"

"Cora, no boy looks at you the way Will does and just wants to be friends. I should know. No boy ever looked at me like that before."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Whatever. Can we drop the conversation? I really don't feel like talking about this."

She sighed. "Yeah of course we have to get back to work anyway."

The bell rang and I looked up. It was some guy that went to the school. He's in a few of my classes I don't know his name though.

"Hey. Cora, right?" He asked. Evidently, he knows mine.

I nodded. "That's me. What can I get started for you today?"

"Number 6 no pickles, please."

"What you don't like pickles?" I asked as I punched the buttons on the register.