28~ Saving Cora

"We're making Christmas cookies!" Sky squealed and ran into my room. She jumped on top of me causing Bandit to jump too.

I groaned as a foot landed on my stomach. "I'm up I'm up."

"Mommy said we're making Christmas cookies today! She said we could go to the store and get icing."

I blinked the sleep out of my eyes as I processed what she was saying.

"That sounds exciting." I said.

I looked over at the clock. It was nine in morning. Meaning that Carter was asleep and Mom and Dad were either still asleep or sitting in the kitchen waiting for everyone else to get up.

"Let's go to the kitchen and get some breakfast, how does that sound?"

She nodded and ran out of my room. Bandit followed her downstairs. I heard her giggle and it made me smile.

I got up and trudged down the kitchen. Mom was cooking something and it smelled delicious.

"Mhm what's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Eggnog French toast, an Ellis family special. We always had it during the Christmas season."

"It smells amazing." I told her.

"Thank you."

I grabbed a cup and a jug of punch from last night. I put it on the opposite side of Mom.

"Sissy, can I have some too?" Sky asked me.

I smiled and grabbed a cup from the cabinet.

"Can I help?" She asked.

"Well of course" I picked her up and placed her on the counter. I opened the lid of the jug. I held the cups as she poured the punch in the cups. She spilled quite a bit on the table, but for a five year old it wasn't terrible.

"Aw I spilled it" she frowned, her eyes looked like she might cry.

"Hey don't worry. It's just a little bit of punch. We can clean it up." I told her.

I grabbed some paper towels and wiped down the counter and the sides of the cups. I threw away the paper towel and walked back over to Sky.

"See nugget all better now" I said.

She smiled and wrapped her arms around me. "Thank you sissy" she said.

"You're welcome" I laughed. I helped her off of the counter and she ran to go play or something.

"You're such a good big sister. You're going to be a great mother one day." Mom said as she smiled at me.

"If I'm even half as good as you, my kid will turn out just fine." I admitted. It's true. Not everyone can go from mothering one toddler to mothering a toddler, a teenage boy and a teenage girl.

She walked around the counter and hugged me. "I love you Cora. I really hope you know that. I hope that I show you and tell you enough for you to know that."

"I know it Mom and I love you too."

We hugged for a few more seconds until she had to go back to cooking breakfast. She called Sky and Dad in and we all ate together.

After breakfast, we took Sky to the store to pick out some icing and decorations for her cookies. She picked a bunch of different colors and almost all the sprinkles you could think of.

As she was picking out some candy, I got a call from Chantel.

"Hey girl" I answers as normal.

"I just got called into work. I'm covering for Heidi. I don't have anyone to take care of Beckham. Do you mind if you're not too busy today?" She asked frantically.