Chapter Seventy Nine

Emily was on a flight to Manchester, Yang and Han were accompanying her and Charlotte. Whilst Emily hoped her next visit would be for better reasons, she was still excited to see Mattie and Iris again.

Mattie had managed to fall pregnant naturally fairly quickly this time with a little boy, and Emily was so excited to see her, especially as last time she missed her pregnancy.

Apparently, a natural conception after having IVF was fairly common. Iris was walking a little and babbling happily and loved seeing her Emmy on a video call, she especially loved seeing the boys, who would turn to mush on sight of her.

The boys were touring across America, and Emily had a flight booked to see them in New York, straight from England. But first Emily needed to face a few things head-on.

———

Sat in business class, Emily didn't feel the need to fly first class without the boys, people very rarely recognised her, and if they did they usually didn't come over and speak to her. She was grateful she managed to fly so far under the radar and keep herself to herself. She didn't know how the boys coped with people screaming at them, and trying to grab them.

She pulled out her sketch pad. Her set of eight books had been sent to the publishers for any final checks and had already been thoroughly checked by a group of mental health professionals and they approved. Emily was proud of her work and the boys more so.

Emily had created eight little characters throughout the books that each had a mental illness, showing how symptoms can show and how their friends could help them, but also showing that it's ok to feel and accept who you are.

She had begun to work on another stand-alone book to add to her collection to sell. Her order book was still keeping her busy, but people were happy to buy a pre-printed one.

Emily hadn't had time to miss the boys, it had been almost three months since they left and she had kept her promise of seeing them every four weeks, and so had they.

She had been to Japan and had seen all of the cherry blossoms beginning to bloom, eaten the most delicious sushi from its birthplace and viewed Mount Fuji with her own eyes.

She was so grateful for all of the things she got to experience because of them. She was so busy with work and making sure she kept to her schedule the time flew by and just as she was leaving them, it felt like it was time to pack and see them again.

"Would you like your meal madam?" A voice broke her out of her concentration.

"Oh, yes. Thank you. Could I have another drink please?"

"Of course, the same?"

"Yes. Just Coke, no ice, no glass" Emily smiled at the flight attendant, who passed her the meal and the drink and then gave Yang and Han theirs, Charlotte lay on the floor and huffed, she wasn't used to flying with such a small space for her. But as Emily leaned forward with a bit of chicken for her, maybe it wasn't so bad.

——

As the rental car drew up outside of Emily's Grandmother's home, Emily felt a peace wash over her, that she didn't know she was missing since the last time they visited.

Getting out, getting her things and unlocking the gate. She walked up the gravel drive, popping her key in the door, and walked in. It smelled the same, it looked the same. But, it was still empty and it felt almost stale despite being cleaned thoroughly.

Letting Charlotte out, she sat down on the cast iron seat just breathing in the cold air, the early flowers. It was cold, the last time they visited it was summer, now it's barely spring. Almost a year between visits, was keeping this house really a good idea if it only got used once a year? Emily felt like it deserved more than that. She couldn't bring herself to sell it or rent it for a tenant to possibly trash it.