04- Friends

Suhana's POV

-"Alex, this is Suhana. She said she is my friend from now. I'm so happy, now I have another friend who is older than me" Sarah said in the sweetest voice, excitement visible all over her face.

-"But didn't you tell me I am your only older friend?" Mr. McAvoy asked her in a teasing voice.

-"Awww Alex, don't be jealous. You are my friend and uncle. She is only my friend," A chuckle escaped my lips. I looked in their direction and immediately regretted it. The stoic expression lured on his face while his eyes bore into mine. 

Creepy.

-"I see you have met each other already. Sorry Suhana, I was gone for too long. Hope you didn't feel bored alone," Feroze uncle walked into the living room and stood beside me. 

-"Suhana wasn't alone. I was with her and we are friends now," Sarah said furrowing her eyebrows, and with a pout.

-"That's great Sarah. Do you know why? Because from now on, Suhana will stay here and take care of you," he said as we all took our seats. 

My head snapped at my uncle in disbelief after hearing his words. 

 I got the job! Then why is Mr. McAvoy looking at me like I am a thief and stole something?

-"Really?" Sarah asked in excitement. 

-"Yes little princess, really. From tomorrow, Suhana will live here with you," as soon as uncle Feroze ended this sentence, my heart skipped a bit. 

Oh no! Why didn't I think of this before? 

I can't travel here every day. It's too far from my uncle's home. I have to move to California.

And what did he mean by 'Here'? Do I have to stay in this palace?! 

My hands became cold as my brain intercepted all the information it received. My hands started fiddling on their own out of nervousness while my gaze was glued to the floor.

Composing myself a bit, I tried to count internally what were the reasons I didn't like to work here.

1. The luxury which makes me feel I don't belong here.

2. I have to move here to work.

and 3. Alexander McAvoy. 

He didn't even say anything to me yet I know. But his behavior after seeing me with Sarah made me think that. But then again, I got the job. 

So maybe he isn't really what I thought of him. Maybe he likes to speak less. I don't have anything to do with him anyway. My job is to take care of Sarah. 

Thinking of Sarah, I looked at her face. Her luminous smile melted my heart at once. I can feel an attachment growing inside me for her even if we met about an hour ago. I've met and known many children before but none of them had such an effect on me as she did. 

It was like I forgot all my problems when I laughed with her. Her eyes sparkled with merriment when she heard that I will work there. I couldn't just snatch that from her.

And now about the luxury and moving here, well, I guess these are the unfamiliar things in this job for me. So, I'll try my best to handle everything, as I had decided before even knowing anything about the job.

The sound of uncle's phone's ringtone brought me back from my daze. He didn't pick up the call but stood up from his seat.

-"Ah, we would like to take your leave. I need to go to New York after dropping Suhana off home so we better get going now," Uncle said while motioning for me to follow.

Mr. McAvoy only nodded at uncle while Sarah asked worriedly, "Is Suhana going too?"

-"Yes Sarah, she will leave with me today but will come back tomorrow. She didn't bring her clothes so she needs to go get them, right?"

-"Oww, Okayyy, I like her clothes. Bring all your clothes Suhana, I want to see all of them." She said making me grin.

We walked out the door and were about to get in the car when Mr. McAvoy said, "I'll send a car tomorrow at 10 am to pick you up, Miss Suhana. Please be ready on time."

His sudden deep cold voice caused a chill to run down my spine. His words came out more authoritative than informative. His eyes held a mysterious glow that I failed to decode while his face was emotionless.

I gulped a lump and responded with a nod. With that, we got into the car and started our drive back home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We reached home at about 10 pm. After having dinner, I went to my room and started packing. The drive back home was mostly quiet. I was asleep for more than half of the time. Uncle told me that he informed Mr. McAvoy of why I moved to the US and why I may need to leave this country anytime it becomes necessary. 

So, now Mr. McAvoy knows that I'm engaged and had to run away from a killer and stalker from my own engagement party while my fiance and his family were abducted. 

Baba, Raiyan, and our other relatives are doing everything to get Mehmood behind the bars once again. I don't know how he escaped in the first place. He was in jail for killing someone, for killing my elder sister Sabrina, his wife! 

His crime was proved and he was sentenced to death. Then how could he escape jail 3 days before his execution? My sister did mention a few times that Mehmood had some friends who were bad company. We didn't know about this before their marriage. They belonged to some gang that was involved in some illegal activity. Maybe they helped him to break out of jail?

When my father married her off to Mehmood 4 years ago, She was so happy. I still remember the day when their marriage was fixed. She had told me that he was the kind of person she wanted in her life. Little did we know that he agreed to marry her only to be close to me. 

For 1 year, he managed to keep his sick infatuation a secret. But later, my sister somehow got to know about it. She never told us anything but tried to make Mehmood realize how wrong it was.

He didn't listen. He didn't listen and beat her like an animal whenever she tried to talk about it with him. All she wanted was to save her marriage and her sister. And she didn't give up till her last breath. 

When we got the call from the hospital, we ran there but couldn't meet her. She was gone by the time we reached there. The neighbors had brought her to the hospital. Mehmood's whereabouts were the main question in our minds at that moment. 

It was then we got to know how he beat her mercilessly every day. The revelations made by the neighbors crashed on us. 

He beat her to death. But we didn't know the reason behind it yet. Only when he was caught by the police did we come to know everything. 

The case ran for 2 and a half years before he was sentenced to death. During this time, he was bailed out of jail multiple times. We don't know who helped him cause none of his family or relatives wanted to keep their ties with him. 

Whenever he was bailed, he would cause a scene at our home or at any public place, making me sick to the core. His threats and a couple of stunts to humiliate me in the public made me stop going out of my home.

I was always a fun-loving, crazy, outgoing girl who loved her family like nothing else in the world. But Mehmood made me what I am today. Though nothing can change my love for my family. The other part of me died 3 years ago.

He made me fear the world. He made me fear the men who have powers that can change someone's life into a disaster.

No restriction order could keep him away from our lives. This meant that whoever was helping him had enough power to manipulate the justice system. 

That person must've arranged his escape and we all understood it when he wreaked havoc on the day I was engaged. Mehmood had powerful support and it was letting him do everything to destroy us more.

Within 30 minutes, I was done packing. Putting the bags aside, I plopped on the bed. How Asma managed to pack nearly all my suits in the 62" luggage makes me wonder. Thanks to her, I only had to go shopping for some pairs of footwear.