Chapter 7

“Hold still.” Genesis instructed as she pulled Andy’s hair back into a braid.
“Hey Genesis?”
“Yeah?”
“After we finish this funner-all, will we go back home?” Genesis placed a rubber band in her hair.
“What do you mean? This is your home. You're safe here, and this is where you belong.”
“No I don't. I want to live with you and Rico and Kali and Valentine and Nova and Zhen and everyone else.” She begged.
“I don't know what will happen. I really hope that you guys can visit. After I helped David escape, I don't know if I can defend him in court. I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”
Andy sniffed and looked around. The King offered them all a room to rest for as long as they needed. This room was big, like the size of Amber’s back yard. The dresser was neat and painted a heavenly blue matching the bed sheets on the large bed behind them. Genesis took Andy’s hand and led her outside. Rico and Trenton were waiting patiently outside, combing their claws through their fur.
“Andy, can you go outside with the orange cat? I need to talk to Rico.” Andy nodded and left with Trenton.

“What do you need?” Rico mewed.
“I thought you said you first killed Samira by accident? Are you saying her death was planned?”
“Unfortunately, it was planned. Before the king started exiling any monster he saw, he was so kind. He loved everyone and everything, but that blinded him to a fate teller’s message. A monster he could see the future. They are quite rare, and it came to tell the king that if we don't get rid of Samira, she would lead monsters to extinction. We didn't know how she would do it, but we didn't want to wait around to find out. The guards who overheard the Fate teller tried to reason with the king to get rid of Samira, but he wouldn't listen… so…” Rico coughed.
“So?”
“So the guards asked me. They knew I was instructed to watch over Samira, so they devised a plan. They came up with a story about me being overprotective of the King and easily angered. I was told to wait for a good moment to… do away with her. I think I've said this before, but I really don't regret what I've done. I just wish I did it another way." Rico cleared his throat and trotted over to the palace entrance. He held the door open for Genesis and followed her outside. A guard stood in front of them.
“Would you please follow me? The king requests to see you in his garden. Your companions are already there.” It asked. Rico and Genesis followed behind it. They walked through a bronze colored fence that was about 9 feet high. It wrapped around the entire palace. The guard led them through a long grassy arch and into a big greenhouse. Small birds of every color flew around and perched onto vines and trees that leaned up against the glass.
“Ah, hello you two.” The king welcomed them. A large wooden box laid in the center of the garden, covered with beautiful flowers and singing birds of every color. Zhen laid a batch of yellow lilies on top of the box and retreated back to the rest of the group. The king placed his big paw on Genesis’s shoulder and looked down. “May I have a word?” He asked quietly.
“Sure.” She responded and followed him towards the entrance of the garden.
“So, I'm sure you've had a very big journey taking care of my subjects and helping them get here, so I figured I would help you in return. That would only be fair. So tell me, what would you like?” Without hesitating, Genesis spoke:
“Did you know my grandma? Somehow, she knew everything about this world. She took notes about the monsters and she had a pink flag that allowed her to see monsters.”
“Ha ha ha! Yes, the flag! A piece of fabric carefully cut from my great great grandmother's dress. It allowed any species to see us monsters! It was a failed plan to make peace with humans and live together. Unfortunately, the small humans were scared of us and they made up stories about how we came from under their beds! Such nasty lies enraged us and we sealed off all communication with the humans a long, long time ago. As for your grandmother, I need to know her name.”
“Ah, sorry. It's Noelle Shall.”
“Ho! Yes, I know her! Such a kind and beautiful soul, that one.”
“How?! Were you related in any way?!” Genesis barked impatiently.
“She was my friend when we were just little children. She was a hybrid! Her mother, a human, and her father, a monster. Everybody knows about her! She disappeared a couple of years ago, I'm assuming you're the reason why. She was so nice, and she loved the idea of monsters and humans living together, perhaps that's why you were given a flag. May I ask, how is she doing now?”
“She's… dead.”
“Oh, my apologies. I did not know.”
“It's alright. May I ask one more question?” Genesis fished around in her pockets, and she held out her flag along with David’s.