Chapter 6

Rico swatted the Mushroom Men away and picked up Samira. She shook her head and groaned but didn't open her eyes. The King followed Rico to the fountain and watch him slowly lower her into the water. Zita whimpered and Genesis pulled her into a hug. The rainbow runners hid behind Zhen, and Kali looked at the sky. Trenton held his paws behind his back and looked away.
“I'm so sorry, kid. I don't regret what I did, but I regret how I did it.” Rico whispered as he placed her into the water. Warm tears escaped the King's eyes and he turned around. Rico sat on the edge of the fountain and waited. Zita slowly broke away from Genesis and looked down on Andy.
“Not… Done… Yet.” A tentacle quickly lashed out at Zita and struck her through her chest. The tentacle retreated back into her mouth, and she went limp.
“ZITA!” Genesis cried as the queen fell. Rico caught Zita and rested her on the floor. Genesis felt the hole in her chest and pressed her hands against it.
“Your blood! Why isn't it healing? Zita! Why. isnt. The. hole. Closing?!” She screamed. Zita laughed softly and placed her hand on Genesis’s head.
“With such a lovely gift, I was never able to use it on myself. Thank you for all your help Genesis. You saved my people. You saved all of us.” She laughed again and faded away.
“Zita?” Valentine nudged the queen and buried himself by her side.
“H-hey. Why are you guys watching Zita slee-” Andy slowly rose from the fountain and peered over.
“What happened?! Why is she like that? Genesis, what happened?!” She cried as she stepped out of the water. No one answered her as they stared at their queen. A small cheer was heard from the sea of monsters surrounding the plaza. One by one, monsters joined in and clapped for them.
“They saved us!”
“We are free!”
“The king is no longer in danger!”
“Did we beat her?” Andy asked again. Rico nodded and placed his paw on her silver hair.