Chapter 3

“Hmm. Yes, this is possible. I guess I could do it.” He sighed as he leaned down next to David. 

“Genesis told me about a device called a camera that is watching us. She wants you to pull your wrists back to make it seem like you are breaking those chains, but I will be the one breaking them, Understand?” David nodded and then peered down at his cuffs. He transferred all his weight back and pulled with all his strength. Rico placed his knife-like teeth onto the chains and bit down as hard as he could. The chain snapped and David was able to stand up.

“Right, now place your hands on the bars on the window behind you and pull with all your might.” Rico ordered. David obeyed and pulled at the bars. Rico placed his paws above his, and pulled the bars apart. While Rico was pushing David out of the window, Genesis banged on the door which she entered from and screamed.

“Help! Officers, Mr. Byun is escaping!” She backed up from the door and tossed her keys out the window, hitting Rico on the head. Rico snatched the keys and wrapped himself around David. The officers ran into the visiting room and spotted the broken bars of the window. One of the officers looked outside, but found no trace of the escaped criminal. 

“Ma’am, please allow me to escort you to your car. We need to report an escaped criminal.” The second officer led Genesis (and Hilda) down the hall and through a security gate back into the main visitor center. 

“Ma’am, before you go, can you please tell me what you saw?” The officer asked.

“Yes. As I was writing down a summary of our visit, Mr. Byun pulled back his arms, breaking the chains. I would have alerted you sooner, but I was so shocked. Then he got up and pulled apart the bars! Talk about inhuman strength! Oh my, how will I ever hope to defend him in court after this incident?” Genesis brought the back of her hand up to her forehead and posed dramatically. 

“Uhm. Yes, thank you ma’am, you may go.” The officer turned around and ran back up the hall. Genesis ran back to her car, with Hilda hovering next to her. She spotted Rico still holding David next to her car. 

“Rico, I gave you the key for a reason.¨

¨You think I know how to work this small dangly box? Think again.¨ Rico hissed through his teeth while trying to hold down David, who was struggling and fighting under the cat. Genesis took back the keys and unlocked the door. As they got settled in, David bit Rico’s paw that covered his mouth.

“How come the guards didn't see me? We were hiding right below the window and that's where they checked!” He yelled. Genesis drove out of the prison's parking lot and waved to the officer standing in the parking booth. 

“I had an idea that Rico could be some sort of invisibility cloak. Whatever the monsters are holding or touching could become invisible. I figured it out because I made a stupid mistake by haning the paper to Hilda. I panicked when the officer checked through the door window to see if we were ok, and I thought he would see a floating paper, but he seemed ok.” She explained.

“Its funny though. How come when Kali was dragging me through the cemetery, I didn't turn invisible? How was that old man able to see me?” Nothing made sense at the moment. She let the sound of Rico snarling and holding down David distract her.