Chapter 4

“Ahem, yes. Let us go upstairs.” Zita trotted away from the coach, with Genesis beside her. Zita opened the door to the guest bedroom and sat down. She opened the books and studied the papers.
“Just as I thought. These were notes made by your Grandmother. This book is about the rules and laws about the monster realm. Not important.” Zita tossed the book behind her.
“Lets see. This one is about different species of monsters. Also not important.” Zita tossed it.
“Okie dokie. This one… ugh. This one is about the lands in the realm. Really not important.” Zita tossed it.
¨Hmm, hmm, hmm.¨ Zita stared at the last book for a while, making Genesis nervous and impatient.
¨Aha! This one contains her spells! I hope it has something we can use.¨ Zita aggressively flipped through the pages until she slammed her hand between two pages. She stared at the page and tossed the book. She jumped up and bolted down the stairs.
¨What the heck just happened?¨ Genesis picked up the books on the floor and studied them.
¨Ow!¨
¨Lady Zita?¨
¨HEY! OW¨
¨Run Kali!¨
¨Uh, I think the monsters are going wild.¨
Genesis heard the voices of her friends from downstairs, and then the thumping of Zita’s hooves storming up the stairs. Zita ran into the room and handed Genesis and held out her hand. Resting on her palm were four strands of hair and a strange white chunk.. One gray, one silver, and purple, and one brown.
“Why are you giving me these?” Genesis asked. Zita also had a cup of milk, and she dropped the hairs into the cup and the white object into the milk.
“You're gonna drink it.” Zita placed her hand over the top and shook it.
“Ew, no I'm not. You put hair in it. Is it your hair?” Genesis gagged and pushed the cup away.
“Yes, one of them. The others belong to Rico, Andy, and Nova. That white chunk came from the mushroom men’s feet.” Zita placed the cup back in front of Genesis.
“Ew! No, that's really gross.” Genesis exclaimed.
“Genesis. Will you help us or not? If you want to, then please. Please drink this.” Zita begged.
Genesis stared at the cup for a moment, and then reached out. She swirled the milk substance around and then looked back up at Zita.
“What will it do?” She asked.
“Just drink it.” Zita sighed. Genesis brought the cup to her lips and inhaled.
“Ok do it. 3. 2. 1!” Genesis took a small sip, and got a hair stuck in her throat.
“Excellent! How do you feel?” Zita cheered.
Genesis responded with a series of coughs until the hair finally went down.
“What now?” She asked.
“Well now, we wait for the results. The book said wait for 5 minutes.”
“Five minutes for what?”
“Just wait.” Zita groaned and leaned back on the bed. Genesis sighed and scratched her head.
“So, why did you marry the king? Or what made him want you?” Genesis asked as he sat next to the deer.
“Well for one, I was beautiful. Two, I also possessed the power to heal people with my blood. I only married him to get away from my old village. It was dirty, cold, and miserable. At first I didn't know I was to marry him. I believed that I was giving him a report of what was happening in my village. As soon as I arrived, I was handed a white dress and a bouquet of orange flowers.” Zita turned to face Genesis.
“What about you? Any special someone?” She asked. Genesis chuckled and shook her head. She cleared her throat and coughed. Genesis inhaled deeply and coughed more.
“Ahem, sorry. I-I think…” She banged on her chest and inhaled again. Zita patted her back and examined her throat.
“Are you alright?” Zita asked.
“Something… in my…” Genesis coughed heavily and rubbed her throat. Zita no longer felt the soft skin of a human. She felt fur. Grey and silver fur growing out of Genesis’s skin.
“It’s working! Yay! It’s working!” Zita cheered as she jumped up from the bed. Genesis was able to regain her breathing, but she felt a massive pain in her legs. Her fingers grew shorter and they morphed into four little fingers. Her eyes grew bigger and changed from brown to purple. A second pair of smaller eyes formed below them. Her teeth grew longer and sharper, and her skin grew fur all along her body. Her ears and hair disappeared and two long white ears sprouted on the top of her head. They were forced down as the cap of a mushroom grew and rested on her head. Finally, her legs were no longer straight. Her thighs curved out and rounded back in and went down to her feet, which grew longer. Genesis didn't dare move.
“It… IT WORKS. BY GODS, IT WORKED!” Zita cried and she hopped up and down. Genesis ran out of the bedroom and crashed into the bathroom. She closed her eyes before she could see herself in the mirror. She slowly opened her eyes and stared into her reflection. She was no longer her normal human self. She was some weird overgrown silver rabbit and stood on its hind legs, just like Rico. She pawed at her face and opened her mouth. She almost fainted at the sight of sharp teeth in a neat row along her gums.