~2~ Scary Stays Away

Start from the beginning

I'm going to enjoy this one night where I'm not completely alone, and ignore the unanswered questions he left me with.

~*~

The next morning I wake to his alarm blaring, and I push on his shoulder.

"We've gotta get up," I moan as the light of the sun hurts my eyes.

"No we don't. What will they do?" He mumbles as he shuts off his phone and rolls until his cheek is on my shoulder.

"Weren't you worried about ISS yesterday?"

"That was yesterday... Today I'm worried about sleep," he mumbles.

"Ok, but if you miss today you won't be able to compete in your surfing competition on Saturday, will you?"

His eyes pop open as he props himself on his elbows and leans his head back, growling in frustration. "Damn you and your logic."

He flips the covers off of him and stands up, walking into his bathroom to pee.

"You actually use your bathroom, huh?" I chuckle as I head to my room and get myself ready.

When we meet downstairs, Cook hands us our lunches and gives us to-go breakfast smoothies since we're running late.

"Thanks Cook," I smile as I stand on my tiptoes and kiss his cheek, making his eyes twinkle at me. "Have a good day Miss Julianne...Mister Tate," he says in a more clipped tone to my brother.

Tate raises his eyebrows at him, but stays silent as we head to the limo.

"I don't think that man likes me very much," he says as he scoots over so I can climb in.

I ignore him as I take a drink of my strawberry banana smoothie, smiling when I can tell he also added whipped cream. That's my favorite!

"Ick! He put spinach in mine," Tate grimaces as he gags on his big gulp.

"You can't taste it when it's mixed with the fruit, Tate."

"I can! I hate spinach! Why does yours look more pink than mine?" He whines as he takes it out of my hand and takes a drink. "This one tastes so much better. Cook officially hates me!"

"You're dramatic," I sigh as I drink my breakfast and enjoy the last couple of minutes where he pays any attention to me. The second I walk into our second world is the second I'm all on my own.

~*~

"Julianne, come here for a minute," Mr. Donnell says as he uses his finger to motion me forward. When I walk up to his desk, he hands me a slip of paper.

"Am I in trouble?" I ask with a pit in my stomach as I see that I've been summoned to the Dean.

"I'm not sure, but you better hurry."

I grab my things and go to the office, trying to wrack my mind with what I could have done.... Did I accidentally roll my eyes at Mrs. Rhodes? I could've sworn I only did it in my head.

When I walk in the cold office, the secretary gives me a funny smile. Am I actually in that much trouble?

"Have a seat next to your brother, Julianne," she says softly as she points, and it's then that I see Tate sitting against a wall next to a window and actually looking at me. He's confused too

I sit next to him and he raises his eyebrows. "What did you do?"

"Me? I've never been called to the office before! Did you do something to get us both in trouble?"

He scrunches up his face to think, and then simply shrugs. "I have no idea," he sighs as he leans back in his chair and rests his head against the wall, closing his eyes.

"How are you so relaxed? I'm freaking!" I hiss in his ear.

He opens an eye to look at me and then closes it again. "Dad will take care of it."

We sit there for a long time...Probably ten minutes...And the suspense is killing me. I don't want to be expelled!

My body is reacting to my nervous mind, and my legs starts to bounce. Tate gets sick of it after a moment and he silently puts his heavy hand on my leg to still it.

"Calm down," he says in an irritated tone as he looks back out the window.

"Don't you think it's weird we've been sitting here for so long?"

"No...At least it got me out of calc."

"I'm stressed, Tate!"

"I'd give you a hit, but that probably wouldn't be smart since the Dean is in the other room," he chuckles.

"You have drugs on you right now?!?" I hiss in hysteria.

"Shut. Up!"

I clamp my mouth shut and lean back, desperate to hide in my bed with the covers over me...Nothing bad happens under the covers. The scary stays away under the covers.

When the Dean finally opens the door, even Tate stiffens when we see two officers and someone in a suit walk out and stop in front of us.

"Tate and Julianne Thompson?" The pretty lady with blonde hair asks softly as she gives us a warm smile.

"Who wants to know?" Tate asks, his voice scary and unrecognizable. I wanna look to make sure it's actually still him, but I'm frozen in fear as I stare at her and not the officers on either side.

"Why don't we all talk in my office," Dean Waters says, looking uncomfortable and shooting us looks of pity.

"No thanks," Tate sighs as he leans back in his chair and looks completely at ease, while I'm scared shitless.

"Mr. Thompson, there's some things that need discussed and it would be better if this were done in private." The Dean says

"Fine. It's me you're wanting, so let her leave. Then we can talk."

I look at him, completely confused. Why would they want him?

"We need to talk to the both of you. Please follow us," the pretty lady says, making Tate's shoulders relax slightly.

I stand up and look at Tate, who finally gives in and stands up. When we walk into the office and sit down, the walls feel like they're going to cave in.

When one of the officers shuts the door, I'm longing for my bed even harder.

All I want to do is feel safe. Feel like I did last night when Tate and I slept under the covers, where the scary had to stay away and leave us alone.