Ferocious

The following afternoon, Nicholas and Adelia found themselves walking in a field of flowers

This time in addition to Eustice, they had Priscilla, one of Adelia's Lady's Maids.

The addition was needed for further supervision.

Nicholas knew it was needed. If Eustice alone was their eye, Nicholas could easily take advantage of a moment without his watchful gaze.

Priscilla was there to keep Nicholas from doing so.

Lest as he stated the day before, his sanity was slipping.

He was losing it every second with or without Adelia near.

He would only be sane when she was his own. Queen Adelia Greggor, the King's Queen. His Bride. His Wife.

His.

Yet, a date was not set.

It was no fault of his Princess. For it had only been days since their agreement, and days since Nicholas began losing it.

"Even as the seconds pass, as you walk beside me, sweetly, lovely, beautiful, virtuous, exquisite, I am losing my composure." He told her as harsh feelings grew within him.

He was being tortured by love.

Adelia blushed at his statement but giggled as well.

She was indefinitely flattered.

Nicholas raised a brow at her irritatingly precious laughter.

'You torture me, darling.'

"You find joy in my unfortunate disposition? You will learn, Princess. Soon enough, you will."

His words held promise, as they always did. But there was something distinct about the tone.

It flew over Adelia's head, but Nicholas was suffering intensely.

He meant what he said. If he waited, if he suffered much longer, he would be-

"You are funny, Nicholas. In a special way, you speak with promise, but the intensity calls for an out, a way to lessen the depth of your promise." Adelia explained and gazed up at him while holding his bicep affectionately.

Nicholas restrained himself from dragging her away.

He loved her touch, smile, voice, laugh, blushes, everything, and it all worked against him.

For now.

"Hear this promise, my Princess, my love, we will wed the day following the Grand Ball." He didn't ask, or suggest it.

It was final.

And Adelia smiled. She lifted her hand and brushed his cheek. "Okay,"

She was agreeable, Nicholas wanted to keep her to himself forever.