Flourish

King Nicholas stared at his father incredulously

The man was mad. Surely.

"You stare at me that way, yet you haven't denied it as false." King Father Matthias said with mischief in his eyes.

He knew that Nicholas would oppose his words, yet Matthias was amazed to find that he hadn't yet.

King Nicholas shook his head and closed his eyes.

'The old man has lost it all. The Princess, I couldn't.'

"Father, I have yet to object out of respect. What grounds have you to make the speculation?" He wanted to give his father a chance to explain himself before sending him out.

King Father Matthias chuckled deeply at the obvious diversion.

"Your question alone, my son. If it weren't true, you would have sent me away instantly. Or shut my, speculation, as you put it, down." He chuckled even more as Nicholas's eyes widened. "Yes, I have found you out, Nicholas. Lest I shall explain myself for your sake. I may piece things together that you have yet to realize,"

King Father Matthias sat in the chair opposite Nicholas and closed his eyes to recall the events that caught his eye.

"I believe it was three weeks ago, could be four, I remember the urgent call to Chief Devon. He handled it all within the day and Catherine and I were left curious. Why was the room for Princess Adelia to be sanctified? Why did she need sanctified Lady's Maids? Why was she even part of the treaty?" He recalled pointedly to King Nicholas who pinched the bridge of his nose.

King Father Matthias took it as truth. He was right. He needed no answers from his son.

"When Alexander admitted his faults to Catherine and me, I knew. He was distressed that the Princess may shift the minds of the youth to her stance against our ways. You would have never allowed a person against our ways in Poloska to teach, you had a motive that you might not have known. I know."

King Nicholas felt a pit grow in his stomach.

Something he'd never experienced, except in grief at the sight of his Uncle in a casket.

His father was speaking foolishly.

"Father, I ask you to stop now. I had no motives for allowing the Princess to teach, I knew that if she did damage to the youth, it could be repaired." King Nicholas said countering his father's words.

King Father Matthias shrugged passively. "It is true. Yet, what were your motives for the greenhouse? Putting us out when you berated the Princess? And what of the way you look at her? Say what you will, my son. But keeping this within will never produce a harvest, something feasible. If you search within yourself, bring it to the Lord, and push aside your Kingly duties, you may find the truth." He stood from his chair and placed his hand on Nicholas's stiff shoulder.