Austere

Morning came and Adelia was resting soundly until Nanny woke her with breakfast and a cool glass of juice

"I ask of you, Nanny, for what reason is this?"

Something was off.

Nanny shook her head at the observance of the Princess. "You have found me. Tis news from Duke and Duchess that the King and Prince of Poloska shall arrive at noonday. A grand feast is being held in their Honor, a meeting shall be held come evening, and the morrow will be their Grand Ball,"

No.

The invaders in sort were making landfall today.

"Nanny, I pray you, for what reason do they stay? Mother and Father spake not of such arrivals, tis not news to tell us all? Believe you that Nathaniel foreknew?" It ate up her mind, it all surprised her.

'Why hadn't Father and Mother spoke of their arrival?'

'Had I missed it while sanctifying?'

"I shall find audience with Mother,"

Nanny nodded in agreement. "You may, first, strengthen yourself with breakfast. I shan't have my Princess weary,"

Adelia smiled softly at her caring Nanny's words. "Yes, ma'am."

Nanny's precious child gave her the utmost joy. "Eat up," She ran her fingers through the child's hair and kissed her forehead.

-

"Glory, what of this meeting? Do not you know that your Mother has preparations to make?" Duchess Joan questioned her beautiful daughter. "Yet, you shall sit with me and speak of your inquisitions,"

Adelia curtsied before her Mother and sat beside her.

"Mother, Nanny has spake of the arrival of the King and Prince of Poloska. I found myself confound by such news, lest, Adonai has relieved my worries."

Duchess Joan hummed. "Tis true, Glory. Continue,"

"I ask, if you may, when did news come of their arrival?" Adelia questioned her Mother.

"A fortnight ago, Glory. Your Father assured me that you would find no fault in not being informed."

Surprised by the secrecy, Adelia found no words.

She wasn't betrayed, only unsure of why they sought not to inform her.

Something was off.

"Nanny spake of the aid, are we not maintaining our foundational values of peace?" Adelia had to question her Mother further.

She had to.

Duchess Joan waved her hand passively. "Adelia, worry not of such things. For we shall remain a Kingdom of peace, only a peaceful Kingdom with the wisdom of battle."