Chapter Thirty: Month 4-5

Start from the beginning

"I just wanted to say that I was hoping to get this team this year, you are an idol of mine and your speech last month was incredible and inspiring. Us women have got to stick together... especially us queer women" and she gives me a knowing smile that perhaps as she turned away, looked a little flirty.

***
"Hi" I whisper as I shut Wrens nursery door quietly.

"Hi" Teddy whispers back "is she down" she asks and I nod and walk into my room, falling down on top of the comforter on my stomach, Teddy's face looking back to me from the phone screen.

"How was today" I ask and she nods as she rolls onto her front too.

"Good... I did good I think, but god Harper I cannot predict this one... the rookies are damn good"

"Do you know any of them" I ask.

She shakes her head "these are all fresh meat to the WNBA. I haven't seen any of them before. I think I perhaps saw Avery last year in her college game that got her noticed by the guys here, she is incredible"

My eyebrow cocks "is she now" I ask.

Teddy laughs.

"What's her last name?" I ask further.

"Avery Lane" Teddy replies.

I nudge Teddy's face to the corner of the screen as I type in her name and she pops up on a search engine. A tall and rather gorgeous blonde with brown eyes.

"You are not googling her" Teddy's says laughing.

I shut the internet window and return Teddy to fill the screen.

"She's cute" I remark begrudgingly.

Teddy raises her eyebrows "You are cute... she is just... a colleague, or potential colleague at this point until the final roster picks are in"

"So when do they pick for the May start date" I ask.

"In four days, so I will be back with you both soon"

I smile and lean on my arm, my lips smudging slightly against my skin.

"Harper don't look like that" she says leaning into the screen.

"Like what" I say eyebrows raising.

"So absolutely kissable... I could literally..." and she trails off as her door knocks.

"Literally...what?" I ask.

She laughs "the girls are here for a team bonding night... I have to go but I miss you and I'm sending you both a squeeze and a kiss" she says as she grabs her jacket and heads for her door.

"You look good Ted" I observe as she slips her cropped leather jacket over her shoulders and reappears. Her dark curls against her tanned skin, oof she looked hot, and then the smile as she leans in with a kiss. Oh Teddy...

"Sending a kiss right back" I promise "and a squeeze or two... but of your breasts not your body" and I wink and she laughs as I click off.

***
The day was here, all twenty of us girls whittled down to twelve, the twelve who would be on this seasons roster and playing for the team in this years WNBA season. I was still stood there as Lesley and Amanda, our coaches, got to player ten, and let me tell you the nerves had well and truly kicked in as I tapped my bright white sneaker against the court floor.

"I'm so nervous" Avery whispers beside me.

I smile reassuringly "don't be... you most definitely made the team... just wait..." I promise.