|26| The repetition

"Before you get out of the car say to me what will you tell Lily

"Before you get out of the car say to me what will you tell Lily." Matteo stops me from getting out by putting his hand on my thigh.

"That you 'hired' me to take care of you for a week, I couldn't say anything because of the doctor-patient confidentiality and I was just paranoid someone will dig into it," I repeat what he told me.

"Perfect, if she asks why you were with me?" He asks.

"Following up with the checkups of your wounds," I say once again. "You know she isn't dumb there's no way she will believe this bullshit, I'm not even wearing my shirt." I blurt out.

"It was you who said you didn't want to tell her the part where we sleept together." He replies smugly.

"Yeah well, I might have to rethink that part." I go to take the door handle again.

"Remember our deal, you explain to her what happened get your bag and come back to me." He takes my arm.

That 'come back to me' makes me feel something I shouldn't feel. He is getting inside my head. Way too deep, somewhere I can't reach to put him out.

"I remember." I'm finally able to get out of the car.

Searching for my keys I breathe in and get inside the house. As soon as the door opens Lily comes running.

"Where the fuck were you?" Her tone is cold.

"I'm so sorry Lily I know you were probably so worried and I swear it wasn't my-" I try to explain but she interrupts me.

"Meg called, said she saw you getting inside some man's car. Dark hair, tan skin, and tall as fuck. I guessed it was the 'driver' the FBI came asking about." She walks up to me. "It was hard as fuck to convince Alex not to call the police without being sure who the fuck that man is so you better start explaining."

Okay, so here we go.

"His name is Matteo, the patient with a gunshot I had last month." I go into explaining right away. "I was hired by him to be his doctor for that week I was gone, I couldn't say anything because of doctor-patient confidentiality." I keep going.

"What about yesterday?" She asks impatiently.

"I wasn't sure what he truly did, when the FBI came I got paranoid they will dig deeper and find out about me. Thought I might lose my license." That's actually part of the truth.

"So you disappeared and then went with him?" She asks still confused.

"He found out about the FBI and wanted to make sure I didn't say more than what we accorded." I continue.

"And you couldn't get back home after that, or call? You had to stay the night and come home in different clothes." Her eyebrows rise.

"I got my clothes dirty." I try.