|31| The punch

3 weeks later

3 weeks later

"Ready?" Miles takes my arm as we go to the car.

"Yes." I grip his arm harder. "You were amazing with the kids, they loved you."

Today all the groups went to pediatrics to learn how to act with a kid patient. We usually bring toys and play too, it tends to be one of the bests days.

"I took care of my baby sisters, I'm basically a professional." He opens the car door.

"I didn't know you had sisters, what are their names?" I put my belt on and we drive off.

"Claire and Mollie, I don't see them much now, when my parents divorced they went with my mom and I stayed here with my dad for college." He explains.

"You went to college? There are so many things I don't know about you, thought this relationship was built on communication." I joke.

Miles hasn't left my side for this last few weeks and even if I know that that's his job I feel like we are getting along well. I would like to think our relationship is more than just professional. I like him, he makes this whole situation a little bit better.

"Oh shut up." He shakes his head. "And before you ask again, yes I did. Sociology."

"Wow, going from sociology to being a bodyguard, what happened?" I ask.

"My dad, he messed around with the wrong people and I paid the price." He replies vaguely.

"That's how you met Matteo?" I say slowly.

"Yeah, he is the one my father borrowed money from. They were going to use me for leverage but somewhere along the lines Matteo decided I could be useful for him and well here I am." He shrugs his shoulders.

"He makes you work for him?"

"No, just in the beginning. Then I decided to keep going, my dad was broke someone had to help my mom." He keeps driving focused.

"I'm sorry." I'm not sure what to say.

I would never have guessed someone as cheerful as him had gone through such a hard life. Looks like after all what people say about how the brightest smiles hide the deepest pain is not that far-fetched.

"Don't be, Matteo helped way more than my dad ever could. He became like a big brother." He smiles my way.

"Somehow it seems like we all end up finding something we needed in him." I let out.