Chapter Twenty Two: Christmas miracle

Start from the beginning

"I can't even see the TV anymore" I say frustratedly trying to peep over the bump.

"You're not missing anything" Teddy says looking back with a smile "okay" ..."hang on" she says sitting up and pushing two pillows behind my head "now" she asks.

I nod "much better" and then I kind of look down as a gush of liquid flows out of me and onto the couch.

Teddy looks wide eyed "what is that" she asks looking down.

"I think my water broke" I say panicked and she looks back at me, calming herself and taking her cell from her pocket "what are you doing" I ask.

She pats my arm "calling the rug doctor about the stain creeping into the carpet" she jokes.

I roll my eyes "Theodora" I curse.

"Your midwife Harper... your midwife... I'm calling her to tell her"

Teddy walks away briefly to talk to the midwife and then she returns with a smile "everything is fine... since there are no contractions we are okay to wait this out a little bit..."

"Ooooo" I cry out as a surge runs under my flesh down my stomach "fuuuuuck what was that" I say loudly trying to pant it through.

"I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's a contraction and all systems are go" Teddy observes looking slightly more concerned.

"Okay get the bag it's in my room" I suggest panting.

Teddy takes off at speed and comes back with my hospital bag. She helps me to stand as I moan with each step and as she throws open the door, we kind of look to each other stunned, because since Teddy arrived an hour or so ago, the snow has come down so heavily, the cars are buried.

"Oh shit" I curse as snow flakes whirl around us.

Teddy nods "oh shit is correct" she says and we shut the door again, against the frigid wind.

"I'm calling the midwife back" Teddy says and she gets through within twenty seconds. There is an intense back and forth before she returns to me.

"We have to get you somewhere comfortable and don't panic okay.... But this is most probably going to be a home birth"

"What" i screech.

Her eyes widen and she holds my shoulders "I said don't panic... just breathe okay just breathe"

"Says the one whose hyperventilating" I state as Teddy tries to catch a breath.

"My fight or flight just kicked in...give me two seconds to consider running... I'm not going to but my body is begging me to consider it"

"Theodora I swear to god I would hunt you down and kill you if you did....there's another one coming" I cry out as a wave of contractions roll in and twist and pull at my muscles.

She grabs my hand and guides me through it one breath at a time.

As an hour or so passes, we both sit together, looking into each others eyes as we count the moments between larger contractions as they arrive. The contractions are getting closer and closer with each ones arrival until one blends right into another.

"I'm so glad you're here" I say gulping and trying to breath.

She leans her forehead against mine, we close our eyes "I wouldn't be anywhere else" she says lovingly, and as I open them again, she looks me intensely in the eyes and nods "it's time to get the towels and the blankets okay because we will not be getting you back up the stairs"