Chapter Eight: First kicks

Start from the beginning

Harper for your own good, it's time to get out of there.

***

"So this is it" my mom says opening up the store.

I look around at the large pharmacy, the whole back wall dedicated to the pharmacy side of things, and the front, a drug store, lots of things ranging from food to pregnancy tests, condoms and tampons. My days before this baby popped out were about to filled with glorious brain numbing retail work, something I had done many times before, of course not my chosen career, working with kids was, kids who needed more support in school. I would get back to my career when Wren was old enough to leave my breast for a day and eat food instead.

"It's great mama" I say as she looks around proudly and shows me the ropes.

"Hey Mrs's Jameson" Ethan calls as he arrives right on time.

"Hi Ethan" she calls back.

I turn around and he smiles "hey Harper" he adds.

I smile back "hi" I reply and he pulls his jacket off and places it over the counter, pulling his white coat on instead.

I hold my hand over my mouth trying not to laugh at how he looked. He clocks my reaction and smiles jovially, turning in a circle "don't you think it suits me" he asks.

I nod "it does..." I say impressed.

He didn't look half bad. I sit down on the stool behind the register and start doodling on a piece of paper as we await the first customer, mama is out back getting things ready.

Ethan walks behind me to get to the door and looks over my shoulder to my doodling "who is Wren" he asks catching me off guard and so close to my ear. I jump back a little "sorry" he apologises stepping back out of my space.

I turn and look back to him "my daughter" I confess. I didn't know Ethan but I wasn't ever going to hide my child if someone asked.

"Oh" he says quite taken aback. "How old is she" he asks as he buttons up the coat slowly, his eyes returning to mine.

I pat my tummy "four months in the oven" I say with a smile.

His eyes widen with shock "you don't look pregnant"

"Well, I assure you it's not just a burger... there's quite the little person in there and last night... I think I felt her for the first time" I confess with a smile at the thought of it. I hoped tonight she would let me know with a larger kick to the bladder.

"Wow" he says completely awed, his mouth a little open but smiling, he's amazed.

"Well congratulations Harper... and your boyfriend?" He asks me curiously.

I shake my head "no boyfriend... she was quite the accident and the gift given back in return for my V card" I say bluntly but trying to lighten the delivery of my predicament.

"Oh right" he says "gosh that must have been quite the shock" he adds and he actually looks empathetic. "So he's not around then" he asks.

I shake my head "no and he never will be" I confess and he nods but you can tell it bothers him.

"I'm sorry that happened" he says as if he reads my mind and I try and hold back the way he makes me feel there for a moment, like I was safe enough to confess the entire thing and he would hear me, and let me.

"Thanks" I say quietly and I turn back to the doodle as he goes out the back.

Ethan appeared to be everything that Max was not, and I would be lying if I didn't say he intrigued me, but Max had shaken my confidence in myself for judging a persons character.